Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I have a tune from AMR tuning on my 2016 V6 mustang. It doesn't run bad, no check engine lights or anything, but it is my first tuning and I have no idea how to read the data-log correctly. They said the data-log looks fine after the first tune they sent me, even though the knock sensor during 3rd gear pull at 3k rpm I get a reading of 6+ that slowly winds down until after 5k rpm. Is this normal/okay? Everywhere else it seems fine, I just don't understand knock sensor/knock/data-logs enough to know and want to know your thoughts.
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
We would have to see the log. In some software a +6 would be bad, pulling timing. In others it would be good, adding timing. No way to know without looking at the log and what software is being used.

OP
OP
CobaltFilly

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
We would have to see the log. In some software a +6 would be bad, pulling timing. In others it would be good, adding timing. No way to know without looking at the log and what software is being used.
Thanks for the reply so quick. I am using SCT Livelink Gen II and this is with traction control *on*. WIth the traction control off, max knock was 2.52+. For some reason it won't let me share the datalog on here. I can post a pic of the knock point if that helps, unless traction control was the reason for my un-needed worry.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I believe live link has positive as pulling timing. I'd call the tuner and verify.

One way to be sure is add some octane booster, boostane, or add 3 gallons of true E85. If the +6 stays the same it is adding timing if it goes to 0 or negative numbers it was pulling timing.

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
I used to run on tunes as well, and I used to have the knock sensor readings of up to 8 degrees. I think Cali's gas are not true to spec in comparison to other states, or in other words the tunes are too aggressive for the crappy fuel that we have here in Cali. Now I'm back to stock tune, I just don't want to deal with engine issues down the line for 5-10% power gain.

Sponsored

OP
OP
CobaltFilly

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I believe live link has positive as pulling timing. I'd call the tuner and verify.

One way to be sure is add some octane booster, boostane, or add 3 gallons of true E85. If the +6 stays the same it is adding timing if it goes to 0 or negative numbers it was pulling timing.
I figured out one of the cats was loose, seemed to fix all the problems!

Not only that, but AMR gave a super fast response explaining he believed it was not normal knock sensor going off (meaning probably a loose something or other) and said if that didnā€™t solve it, then do the sane thing you suggested.

+1 for AMR, makes me feel a bit more secure.

I used to run on tunes as well, and I used to have the knock sensor readings of up to 8 degrees. I think Cali's gas are not true to spec in comparison to other states, or in other words the tunes are too aggressive for the crappy fuel that we have here in Cali. Now I'm back to stock tune, I just don't want to deal with engine issues down the line for 5-10% power gain.
I couldnā€™t agree more on bad fuel in Cali, I found my local Costcos (all three) running some SUPER good fuel with lots of extra cleaner in it, so I ONLY run their 91. My tune is running fine now!

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
That's great, glad it worked out for you. Unfortunately I didn't have good luck with even Costco's fuel, as a matter of fact my local Costco's fuel was worse than my local Shell(I got less knock with Shell fuel). I should check mine as well to make sure there's nothing loose in my engine compartment that would trigger false knock readings as well...Cheers

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I was going to edit my post and say if after using booster or E85 and it stayed the same it is false knock.

Glad you got it sorted.

OP
OP
CobaltFilly

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I was going to edit my post and say if after using booster or E85 and it stayed the same it is false knock.

Glad you got it sorted.
i appreciate your super quick response too! Your input was helpful and helped calm my apprehension šŸ˜‚ appreciate you guys, glad I joined this forum and ask questions like the idiot I am so I can learn as much as possible!
Sponsored