AutoBlip Modification

Tat2bass

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
'16 RR GT350
So, I have been trying in vain to learn to heel-toe. I just cannot get it cleanly and it has been costing me a few seconds here and there and I fear eventual excess wear and tear. Been looking into the Autoblip. Going through the install manual, I had an idea and wanted to get opinions on viability from some other, more technically inclined people on here. Here is my idea.

The device blips when it detects the signal from the brake and clutch interlock at the same time. It comes with the necessary cable taps to tap into the needed wires to receive the signal. So what I am thinking is for the clutch interlock, would it be possible to instead run it to a switch/button to the steering wheel with a 12v source and completely bypass the clutch interlock. The new camaros have the auto blip as a button on the left side behind the steering wheel. Thinking of doing the same thing. So basically mounting a button to the back of the steering wheel easily pressed with a finger to activate the blip when the brake is applied.

Main reason I was thinking this is the auto blip defaults to the on position, meaning if I start my car and take off in city traffic forgetting to turn it off, it will blip unnecessarily, so with the switch, it doesn't matter if it is on or not, it is only activated when I want it to be by pressing the button.

Thanks in advance for any help
Sponsored

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Why not just run the main power to this steering wheel button as a real on/off switch that way you don't have to hold some button on the steering wheel each time. Just on or off

OP
OP
Tat2bass

Tat2bass

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
'16 RR GT350
Why not just run the main power to this steering wheel button as a real on/off switch that way you don't have to hold some button on the steering wheel each time. Just on or off
Not sure you have seen the autoblip controller then or understand how it works. The power to the module isn't the issue, I'm trying to see if it's viable to activate the clutch controlled blip via a button rather than the clutch

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
What are your challenges with heel and toe downshifting?
There are vendors that make wider pedals if that is the issue. I love heel-toeing. It will soon become a lost art.

OP
OP
Tat2bass

Tat2bass

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
'16 RR GT350
What are your challenges with heel and toe downshifting?
There are vendors that make wider pedals if that is the issue. I love heel-toeing. It will soon become a lost art.
I have a set of the extra wide SRP pedals installed. I have two problems with it, 1 and foremost, is I broke my back a couple years ago when I was deployed, so lifting both legs to clutch and brake while rotating my foot to blip, is difficult due to the nerve damage I have, and second is with that loss of feeling, when I try to blip, I can't maintain a solid brake application. And I don't want to sacrifice my braking zones trying to blip it. And the AB product seems really nice, and like using it with this switch idea would solve my problem.

Main thing is I plan on mounting the controller in a hidden spot, so I don't want to have to turn it off every time I turn the car off to keep it from blipping when sitting at stoplights during regular driving. Controlling the blip with a steering wheel button will make it easy

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I'll say it again - these cars need a BMW-style floor pivot pedal. I can heal toe on one of those all day long without a conscious thought...

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Main reason I was thinking this is the auto blip defaults to the on position, meaning if I start my car and take off in city traffic forgetting to turn it off, it will blip unnecessarily
Is it that hard to just press the button and turn it off when you notice the unnecessary blip? Not trying to be snarky, but you have a simple 2 second solution to fixing ALL your problems which seems alot easier to do than trying to custom wire this thing which might take hours to do?

Just a thought.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I'm sure it's possible but I agree that I think you're just trying to fix something that's not broken. Are you really going to forget about that big blaring module that's right in your face every time you get into the car?

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Not sure you have seen the autoblip controller then or understand how it works. The power to the module isn't the issue, I'm trying to see if it's viable to activate the clutch controlled blip via a button rather than the clutch
I understand how it works. Just offering a safer solution than juggling throttle input with a steering wheel button. You stated your main reason as wanting it on when u want it and off when you don't. If u simply cut power to the unit when u don't want it active that should achieve your goal.

Krogen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Oxford White & Blue Stripes
I know I'm not addressing your question about auto-blip, but.... Have you tried rocking your right foot? or arch of your foot on the brake and toe on the gas? It's tough for me to put my ball of the foot on the brake and get my heel to the gas. Any way you can find to work both pedals at once is fine. It's also a heckuvalot easier when braking hard.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Tat2bass

Tat2bass

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
'16 RR GT350
Simply pressing the on/off button could work, but I stated above that I wanted to mount it in a hidden location. In said location, it wouldn't be as accessible. And again also, with the button, forgetting to turn it off would never be an issue.

And yeah, I've tried rolling my foot, switching the placement, different shoes, going barefoot, etc. I just can't get the hang of it smoothly enough. I watched the Racing Line that Randy Pobst does and a few other tutorials. I give full credit to those that can do it seamlessly. I just unfortunately can't.

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Simply pressing the on/off button could work, but I stated above that I wanted to mount it in a hidden location. In said location, it wouldn't be as accessible. And again also, with the button, forgetting to turn it off would never be an issue.

And yeah, I've tried rolling my foot, switching the placement, different shoes, going barefoot, etc. I just can't get the hang of it smoothly enough. I watched the Racing Line that Randy Pobst does and a few other tutorials. I give full credit to those that can do it seamlessly. I just unfortunately can't.
It appears you simply want validation for your idea: yes you could do that.

I'm a newcomer to this forum, but not to the internet, obvs. For future sanity's sake - perhaps think twice before creating a post stating a goal and asking for opinions when that's not truly what you're after. You're obviously getting frustrated when people offer opinions that don't align with yours on how to reach said goal. :cheers: and good luck with the implementation.

kartguy898

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 / 2016 F150 FX4
I bought 3 50-cent 3/8" nylon spacers from Lowes and put them under the throttle pedal. Heel-toe was difficult with the stock setup; now it's natural.

OP
OP
Tat2bass

Tat2bass

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
'16 RR GT350
You clearly don't want opinions, as your original post states. It appears you simply want validation for your idea: yes you could do that.

I'm a newcomer to this forum, but not to the internet, obvs. For future sanity's sake - perhaps think twice before creating a post stating a goal and asking for opinions when that's not truly what you're after. You're obviously getting frustrated when people offer opinions that don't align with yours on how to reach said goal. :cheers: and good luck with the implementation.
I am looking for opinions on how best to do it. Not me saying what I want to accomplish and then everyone go "just do this because this is what I do and what I prefer even though it has nothing to do with what you stated your end goal was".

Example- Someone buys a spoiler, and asks for opinions on if it can be mounted a certain way other than the regular because they have a carbon fiber trunk and don't want to drill through it. Rather than help and actually answer the persons question, the common practice on here is to go, I don't like that spoiler, so you shouldn't use it. Then say that if they wanted a spoiler, they shouldn't have gotten a CF trunk. Or just add a bunch of opinions that wasn't an opinion on how to best accomplish a goal

Rimox51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Auto Blip turns on with the on button. Not every time you start the car.

It is a bit annoying pulling into pit area and braking and clutching when slowing near garage and the throttle blips.

I put mine in sunglass tray but don't like it there. Can't see it on track if need a fine tune adjust. Probably leave some slack in wire on and pull out of tray and Velcro to dash on track days.
Sponsored