corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
This question was posed within the context of driving a performance car on a track, at speed..... I presume with other participants.....you know where unexpected things can and do happen requiring some ability to deal with them.
That's situational awareness. Not the ability to H-T. FWIW, I know of an AI competitor who's much more in favor of people using auto-blip if they flat-out can't get the H-T thing down than I am. For whatever reasons, I can see the problem from the non-H-T viewpoint.

Now I have zero idea exactly where or in what context this takes place for the OP, but any drivers school, track venue I have had any knowledge about, sure as hell, has some standard for health, stamina, capability, and if you could not roll your foot onto a pedal etc, etc, several would decline your participation in view of risk for fellow participants.
At a racing school where the stated objective is obtaining a competition license, perhaps. Maybe when going for instructor credentials.

For HPDE at levels where passing is by point-by, H-T is a useful tool to have in your skill set, but it's far from essential. If not being able to do this means you can't pull off a pass deep into the braking zone without being in the wrong gear through the turn, so be it. Suck it up and either pick another place or try something different at that corner to make a pass coming out of it easier.

To your matter of 'risk to fellow participants' - all it seems you need to have for downshifting is the ability to downshift cleanly without chirping the drive tires or gradually dragging the engine rpms up by slipping the clutch's re-engagement. Maybe that costs you half a second or more each time you do a simple double-clutch downshift instead . . . but at HPDE, so what? What if you were driving a DSG-equipped car? Or a 6A/8A/10A? Would your participation be declined under those conditions? FWIW, I haven't ever been criticized for not H-T'ing by any instructor, ever.

Norm
Sponsored