corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
So what's the worst failure condition for the added switch? That it fails closed? Being in series means that you still need to activate the clutch switch before the engine gets a 'blip' signal, so you'll still have the engine decoupled from the drive wheels when the 'blip' happens. I agree that putting the additional switch in parallel with the clutch switch would be a poor idea, but I thought I was specifically clear on "in series".

If it fails open, you simply don't get the automated blip, which brings you right back to the 100% OE situation.

Norm
Sponsored

Last edited:

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
So what's the worst failure condition for the added switch? That it fails closed? Being in series means that you still need to activate the clutch switch before the engine gets a 'blip' signal, so you'll still have the engine decoupled from the drive wheels when the 'blip' happens. I agree that putting the additional switch in parallel with the clutch switch would be a poor idea, but I thought I was specifically clear on "in series".

If it fails open, you simply don't get the automated blip, which brings you right back to the 100% OE situation
The worst failure condition for the added switch is that it works or does not work when it's least expected..Murphy's Law. Adding more possible failure points to a throttle control decreases safety.

That said - there are plenty of things I do that are unsafe and ill-advised so to each his/her own. But to pretend there are no added safety issues here is shortsighted.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I'm just not seeing how specifically adding another switch adds any real amount of risk here. I can't speak for the Autoblip device itself.

Norm

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I think either way we can agree the OP's idea is viable. So we can leave it at that ;)

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Pretty much.

FWIW, the biggest potential downside I can picture is if all of your other cars are MT as well, but they don't all have the same modified Autoblip setup.

Norm

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tat2bass

Tat2bass

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
'16 RR GT350
By the sounds of it, you seem to fit the Corvette demographic perfectly... ;)

Its posts like these two that would infuriate me if I were the OP here lol clearly neither of you took the 2 minutes to read the original post or WHY the OP is looking for this system or otherwise you wouldn't have wasted your time providing useless commentary on how easy it is for YOU or how he should buy an automatic LOL

Yeah, spending an hour with a competent heel/toe expert is going to solve a past broken back and nerve damage eh? Genius! Tell me, is spending an hour with a HPDE instructor the cure for cancer then? :rolleyes: :headbonk:
Thank you. haha. Forums are so annoying now because guys like that don't bother to read what I CLEARLY stated, and then give their opinion and add some shit of just do this or that. One reason I'm normally pretty hesitant on asking anything like this on forums, but I just realize I have to skip over those guys and get actual help from guys like you and others that read the actual post.

To the rest, thank you for the input. I believe I have an idea now on how I can make this work. I'm hoping to get around to this in the next month or maybe two. When I get to it, I will be sure to take pics and post about it with the upsides and downsides. Outside of car audio, I've never messed with a car's electrical system before, so just wanted to get a consensus of viability. Seems like I should be able to get it to work well. Thanks again

TRS7139

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Or maybe you should actually think about it.
Nobody mis read what you CLEARLY stated. The fact of the matter is that if you have 3 pedals and drive on a track then Clearly there is a simple, likely, solution, even if it involves an oversize pedal so that you may enjoy your car properly.
If you can brake and clutch, this is doable without all the additional crap.

Forums can be annoying because sometimes you get an answer you don't like because perhaps it was, just maybe, the wrong question to begin with.
And FWIW , I've been in cars with guys with a plastic foot that were proficient at it so, maybe, I know something about the topic.

OP
OP
Tat2bass

Tat2bass

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
'16 RR GT350
Nobody mis read what you CLEARLY stated. The fact of the matter is that if you have 3 pedals and drive on a track then Clearly there is a simple, likely, solution, even if it involves an oversize pedal so that you may enjoy your car properly.

Forums can be annoying because sometimes you get an answer you don't like because perhaps it was, just maybe, the wrong question to begin with.
And FWIW , I've been in cars with guys with a plastic foot that were proficient at it so, maybe, I know something about the topic.
Sure thing buddy. Just next time, if someone asks a question and says what the goal is like I did, just shut the hell up if you don't intend to answer the actual question and want to give your own opinion on what I physically should be able to do simply because you know someone else who can do it. I don't care what they can do, I can't. I have been with many people who can heel toe and I have tried multiple different things, including larger pedals.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)

Yeah I broke my toe once too and have no problems shifting, why should he right?

With all due respect, what an utterly retarded comparison. Someone who has a plastic foot might not be able to feel the pedals yes, but it isn't a matter of feeling with the OP... it is difficult for him to lift both left leg and right leg at the same time.... I.E USING YOUR LOWER BACK MUSCLES

And hey, what was it that happened to him again? Oh yeah I remember, a BROKEN BACK. But hell, thats clearly the exact same situation as your guy with a prosthetic, or me with a patellar tendon tear, or anyone else right? Seriously, spare us all and stop commenting.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Thank you. haha. Forums are so annoying now because guys like that don't bother to read what I CLEARLY stated, and then give their opinion and add some shit of just do this or that. One reason I'm normally pretty hesitant on asking anything like this on forums, but I just realize I have to skip over those guys and get actual help from guys like you and others that read the actual post.

To the rest, thank you for the input. I believe I have an idea now on how I can make this work. I'm hoping to get around to this in the next month or maybe two. When I get to it, I will be sure to take pics and post about it with the upsides and downsides. Outside of car audio, I've never messed with a car's electrical system before, so just wanted to get a consensus of viability. Seems like I should be able to get it to work well. Thanks again
No worries, the arrogance of some is astounding. "I can do it, or I know so and so who can, so why can't you" as if everybody's situation is exactly alike...

From what I read, it seems like you only wanted a button setup that would require a single press and act as an on/off switch for the autoblip. I'm not sure what everyone else was talking about in terms of using the button as an actual throttle button.. that does seem unnecessarily complicated.

Am I right in assuming you simply want the system to work as it does in Camaro's/Corvette's with the ability to simply turn the autoblip on/off at the flick of a button? If so, that should be definitely possible and fairly straightforward to accomplish. The only challenge will be hiding the wires to make things unnoticeable or to make it look OEM.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Nobody mis read what you CLEARLY stated. The fact of the matter is that if you have 3 pedals and drive on a track then Clearly there is a simple, likely, solution,
We can agree on the H-T solution being "most portable".

But "likely solution" at least implies it's not a universal solution. Something that works for many drivers, maybe most of them, may not work for everybody. This topic concerns a likely "outlier", and to insist that everybody can comfortably - and more importantly - do with dead-nuts reliability what works for many is to be kidding yourself.

It's wrong to think that a question as well thought-out and explained as this one was is a 'wrong question' just because it requests answers that clash with how any number of others have been able to solve the same problem.

Have you ever been in a car with somebody who could not for the life of them ever get sufficiently co-ordinated at it without making errors like inadvertently catching the throttle when only the brake was needed?

Norm

shelbyman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sandy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350 Track Package White w/blue stripes
I know I'm not addressing your question about auto-blip, but.... Have you tried rocking your right foot? or arch of your foot on the brake and toe on the gas? It's tough for me to put my ball of the foot on the brake and get my heel to the gas. Any way you can find to work both pedals at once is fine. It's also a heckuvalot easier when braking hard.
You've hit the nail on the head when you say its a hell of a lot easier to heel and toe when you are braking hard. Actually I would say, for me, its impossible to do it unless I'm thresh hold braking. I found that out at the Track Attack program in Utah. The issue comes from the brake pedal requiring such little pressure at less than thresh hold braking that it's just too hard for me to get right. Thats why I find the Auto Blip a very interesting idea. Haven't got one yet but considering it.

shelbyman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sandy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350 Track Package White w/blue stripes
Auto Blip turns on with the on button. Not every time you start the car.

It is a bit annoying pulling into pit area and braking and clutching when slowing near garage and the throttle blips.

I put mine in sunglass tray but don't like it there. Can't see it on track if need a fine tune adjust. Probably leave some slack in wire on and pull out of tray and Velcro to dash on track days.
Thanks for this post. If I get one was going to mount it right where you did but was concerned about access if it needed adjustment. Good idea about wiring it through the sun-glass tray with longer wires and velcroing it to the dash. :thumbsup:

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I got the SRP pedals and spaced the gas pedal up by a quarter inch, heel/toeing has gotten better by 80% imo

TRS7139

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
We can agree on the H-T solution being "most portable".

But "likely solution" at least implies it's not a universal solution. Something that works for many drivers, maybe most of them, may not work for everybody. This topic concerns a likely "outlier", and to insist that everybody can comfortably - and more importantly - do with dead-nuts reliability what works for many is to be kidding yourself.

It's wrong to think that a question as well thought-out and explained as this one was is a 'wrong question' just because it requests answers that clash with how any number of others have been able to solve the same problem.

Have you ever been in a car with somebody who could not for the life of them ever get sufficiently co-ordinated at it without making errors like inadvertently catching the throttle when only the brake was needed?

Norm
Well, not for nothing, but since he seemed rather mad I dared give an alternative answer, and since his new Neufy buddy termed arrogance what he might plainly wish to review if he were, in fact, 1/2 as smart as he percieves himself.....I offer the following, and then I'm done with this thread.

This question was posed within the context of driving a performance car on a track, at speed..... I presume with other participants.....you know where unexpected things can and do happen requiring some ability to deal with them.
Now I have zero idea exactly where or in what context this takes place for the OP, but any drivers school, track venue I have had any knowledge about, sure as hell, has some standard for health, stamina, capability, and if you could not roll your foot onto a pedal etc, etc, several would decline your participation in view of risk for fellow participants.
Not too complicated, in that light.
Sponsored