Sponsored

Auto Transmission metal clanking sound

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
If you have it, after the car is warmed up, got from P to R. Wait a moment. Pull it into neutral, wait a second and go to D. going from N>D will make it clank if the problem exists.
I don't seems to have loud clank switching between R and D. It's only when going in P.
Also, I heard this thud when moving very slowly and then press the gas pedal.
Sponsored

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
I don't seems to have loud clank switching between R and D. It's only when going in P.
Also, I heard this thud when moving very slowly and then press the gas pedal.
You might have a different problem... there are several videos that document the clank I'm talking about. Usually, if the noise is from P>R or into P, it is the pawl pin.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
There is a new one. What the heck is a pawl pin?
LOL. Check out that kid's YouTube videos Engineering Explained.

Short explanation: Imagine the locking pin on your Dremel collar, or on your router shop tool. Works the same when you put your auto trans into Park.

ITSMEPAUL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
OK. Gotta check that out.
F#%"* there are so many freakin parts to get to know compared to my 2 wheeler.

Sponsored

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
Got the front flange/nut replaced and it did not fix the loud clanking sound when going into D. The FSE was there and heard the noise and told them to order it. Not sure where to go from here. Between the vibration issue and this, I really just want to get rid of this car. 10 trips to the service dept and still problems.

ktodd1989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium Performance Pack / 2016 Ecoboost Premium
Got the front flange/nut replaced and it did not fix the loud clanking sound when going into D. The FSE was there and heard the noise and told them to order it. Not sure where to go from here. Between the vibration issue and this, I really just want to get rid of this car. 10 trips to the service dept and still problems.
I did the same, after reading endless responses I had my driveshaft replaced and also replaced the front flange as well - still clunks. A couple months ago at my buddies house we put the car on ramps to see where the noise was exactly coming from and the sound was coming from the center support bearing. I'm thinking a one piece DS would eliminate the clunking noise entirely, but we will see.

mbaran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Just had mine done and the noise is gone.

What noise are you hearing. The best way to describe mine was a wooden spoon being hit against an aluminum pot.

It was only when going between reverse and drive.

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
Just had mine done and the noise is gone.

What noise are you hearing. The best way to describe mine was a wooden spoon being hit against an aluminum pot.

It was only when going between reverse and drive.
Yep, R or N to D makes the noise. I guess the only way to really tell is to get under the car and see where it is coming from. Hard to imagine the mechanic didn't do that. But they did give me the car back making the same noise and nothing said. Worthless dealer.

Sponsored

ITSMEPAUL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Had the two pipe clanking sound when going from Park to Reverse and into Drive on my 16 GT auto since day 1. As of last week after 4 months and 10,000 km's the sound disappeared. Go figure?

mustangNCU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard V6
After 3000+ miles, my friendly clank/clunk came back. I took it into the service dept. and they confirmed that it's there. The mechanic put in a report to the engineering hotline and hopefully will hear back Monday about what's next. Apparently, there are plenty of requests about this issue so hopefully Ford comes up with a permanent fix.

klumpikat

Chick driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 'Stang GT Premium

kkriskal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 For Mustang GT Premium Auto
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium Auto

I Just purchased a brand new 2017 GT Premium Auto just 3 weeks back and was shocked to see this thread when I was searching for problem I started getting around 1500 miles. I cannot believe that this problem has been there throughout 3 model years, I have the exact same problem. Mine is a little less louder than what I have heard but it is the exact same noise and under exact same conditions (R to D or D to R or P to R), it probably isn't louder because I baby the car since it is new and have not opened it up yet. I took it to 2 dealers already and they insist that it is absolutely normal. Someone mentioned in this thread that it was there from day one and they suddenly went away after 10K miles. I don't think they have any other ford excjusive dealers in my city. This problem has carried over 3 years so i am Not sure what to say.

ITSMEPAUL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yup that's me. I'm not a gear head so I don't understand how it was there and then not.
Dealer I went to also said it was normal. As of today close to 18,000 km's and it still hasn't returned
Sponsored