Sponsored

Auto Transmission metal clanking sound

V6junkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 v6 ingot silver
I've recently noticed in my automatic when shifting from park to drive or reverse and so forth sometimes I'll get a metal on metal clank .... Anyone else had this problem or a fix for it .... Has me a little worried
Sponsored

BrantMcE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Magnetic w/ Dark Saddle In
i just noticed mine doing this also. any info would be great. hopefully nothing is wrong with it.

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I've recently noticed in my automatic when shifting from park to drive or reverse and so forth sometimes I'll get a metal on metal clank .... Anyone else had this problem or a fix for it .... Has me a little worried
i just noticed mine doing this also. any info would be great. hopefully nothing is wrong with it.
Hey guys,

I recommend having your dealer check out the situation. If you decide to take it in, send me a PM; I'll take a look at assistance options on my end.

Jeff

unintelligible

V1, VR, Gear Up!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT Premium
Mine does this too. Not worried or annoyed enough about it at the moment to schedule a dealer visit.

BrantMcE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Magnetic w/ Dark Saddle In
I feel like it has gotten more noticeable. Jeff I'm going to have to take your advice and shoot the dealership an email, just not sure when I'd be able to make it in as it's my only car and don't think I'd be able to leave it as I need it to get to work. I notice it most when driving in sport mode (very rarely use drive), when shifting from park to reverse/reverse to sport, as well as when it is auto shifting from 3rd into 2nd and 2nd into 1st.

Sponsored

Ugly John

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT PP
I've noticed it when I shift into gear (either drive or reverse) in my garage. It probably does it other times, but I haven't heard it. I have never heard anything like it when the transmission itself switches gears, or when I'm switching between drive and sport mode (which I do a lot).

I haven't thought it was a problem, but I'm watching to see of anyone else brings it in to the dealer....

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I feel like it has gotten more noticeable. Jeff I'm going to have to take your advice and shoot the dealership an email, just not sure when I'd be able to make it in as it's my only car and don't think I'd be able to leave it as I need it to get to work. I notice it most when driving in sport mode (very rarely use drive), when shifting from park to reverse/reverse to sport, as well as when it is auto shifting from 3rd into 2nd and 2nd into 1st.
Hey BrantMcE,

Send over a PM with your VIN, mileage, name, phone number, and dealer info. I'll enlist any available assistance on my side of things. Let me know if you get an appointment set up also.

I've noticed it when I shift into gear (either drive or reverse) in my garage. It probably does it other times, but I haven't heard it. I have never heard anything like it when the transmission itself switches gears, or when I'm switching between drive and sport mode (which I do a lot).

I haven't thought it was a problem, but I'm watching to see of anyone else brings it in to the dealer....
I'm here Ugly John, if you do want to take it to the dealer. Just let me know.

Jeff

OP
OP

V6junkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 v6 ingot silver
I may take mine in Thursday or Friday just to see what kind of answer I can get and I'm hoping to catch it on my go pro just as back up evedince

ktodd1989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium Performance Pack / 2016 Ecoboost Premium
Same issue

Found this posting through a google search and figured I'd chime in as well.

I have a 15' V6 Auto that also makes a "ting/clunk/clank" (whatever you want to call it) noise when putting the car into drive or reverse. I purchased my vehicle in January and noticed the noise maybe a couple weeks later after purchase. The car does drive fine but I feel as if this noise has gotten way more noticeable.

I took my car in for it's first service at Sunrise Ford in North Hollywood, Ca around the middle of March and explained to them my concern. I told them that it sounds like the noise is coming from the driveshaft area, so they went and checked it out. They said that they didn't have a replacement drive shaft available and they needed to order one and have me return back with my car the following week. Long story short I brought my vehicle for our set appointment and they replaced the drive shaft and unfortunately the noise was still being heard so they have been trying to figure out other ways to get this issue resolve and said that the noise is actually coming from the rear axle not the drive shaft. They needed to take apart the rear axle and order some more parts (I think gear and pinion, not to sure). The parts came in today and the service advisor called me back to let me know that it also did not fix the problem.

My mustang has been there since last week tuesday and it's close to being about two weeks in the shop. I hope they can figure this out soon....

PS: I uploaded a video clip of my problem to my google drive, does this sound similar?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2AMZBi-HtmYNDc1Z2dTb3g4UFE/view?usp=sharing

OP
OP

V6junkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 v6 ingot silver
Unfortunately that is the exact sound mine makes and its not every time but more than none ..... I'm not liking the way this is sounding :(

Sponsored

ktodd1989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium Performance Pack / 2016 Ecoboost Premium
Yeah not good. I sense a recall soon if I'm not the only one having this issue.

If anyone has had their clank noise fixed recently - please post what it was so I can forward it to the service advisor lol

schwando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Driveshaft noise

I have the exact same noise of My 2015 V6 automatic I only have about 2200 miles on it but it's getting louder making a trip to the dealer tomorrow Will post a reply from what the dealer says

OP
OP

V6junkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 v6 ingot silver
Let's know what happens I won't be able to get mine in ufor another 2 weeks probably

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Unfortunately that is the exact sound mine makes and its not every time but more than none ..... I'm not liking the way this is sounding :(
Yeah not good. I sense a recall soon if I'm not the only one having this issue.

If anyone has had their clank noise fixed recently - please post what it was so I can forward it to the service advisor lol
I have the exact same noise of My 2015 V6 automatic I only have about 2200 miles on it but it's getting louder making a trip to the dealer tomorrow Will post a reply from what the dealer says
Hey guys,

Send over a PM with your VIN, mileage, name, phone number, and dealer info. When you head to the dealer, I'll look into assistance options on my end. Also, it's good to get these issues documented on new vehicles. This feedback helps Ford determine areas of widespread customer concern for future recalls and satisfaction programs.

Jeff

Ugly John

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT PP
Yup - same noise as mine is making as well. But, I've only heard it from in the car, and it looks like that video was from outside. His sounded a bit louder than mine, but who knows.

Jeff, Do you want that info even if we're not taking in to the dealer at this point?
Sponsored