Sponsored

Auto Transmission metal clanking sound

NicoMCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EU GT 2015
Mine has 850 miles and I've just noticed this when changing to D, R and S. I also notice it sometimes when changing gear with the paddle shifters. Email to my dealer...
Can you tell us what he will tell you, I think you are one of the first in Europe who actually asked his dealer if it was normal.

Some Germans who got their car checked out said Ford is looking at this but are waiting for answer from Ford USA (this can take some time...), so wait and see. I just hear the sound when the car is cold at start, after that you can be at a red light and switch to P and then to D and I would not hear anything.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Poppacapp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Has anyone's sound come back after the flange was changed?
Mine is still quiet going on 8-9 months? Can't remember the fix date... pre-alzheimers :(

mustangNCU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard V6
Brought my 2016 V6 Mustang in to the dealership last Friday (7/29) and picked it up Tuesday (8/2) due to this issue. I noticed it initially at 3500 miles and it got progressively louder and more frequent until I decided to take it in at 5500. The dealership was quick and efficient and they replaced the output flange and nut which has so far taken care of the clanking. Thanks to all of the info on this thread, I knew this wasn't just an isolated issue. Here's the invoice.
service report.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

18psi

of boost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Brought my 2016 V6 Mustang in to the dealership last Friday (7/29) and picked it up Tuesday (8/2) due to this issue. I noticed it initially at 3500 miles and it got progressively louder and more frequent until I decided to take it in at 5500. The dealership was quick and efficient and they replaced the output flange and nut which has so far taken care of the clanking. Thanks to all of the info on this thread, I knew this wasn't just an isolated issue. Here's the invoice.
Thank you very much for follow up and for posting the invoice. Very helpful

ITSMEPAUL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yup...same here... BIG thanks for the invoice that states the part#
Will help me hopefully when I go in September to have the issue looked at as well.

Poppacapp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
This should honestly be made a sticky with an updated Post#1 with pic of the invoices

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Is there a definitive way to repeat the issue? I want to be able to reproduce it at the dealer to get the replacement.

ITSMEPAUL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Your question makes no sense. Either you have it or you don't. Unless you wanna employee a midget to secretly tuck into the underside and give him a hammer to bang.

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Your question makes no sense. Either you have it or you don't. Unless you wanna employee a midget to secretly tuck into the underside and give him a hammer to bang.
I sort of have it. I notice it when I put the shifter in P on a slight incline. My exhaust is loud so I can't really hear it most of the time.

mbaran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I sort of have it. I notice it when I put the shifter in P on a slight incline. My exhaust is loud so I can't really hear it most of the time.
This issue, if I am not mistaken, only exists between R and D, and D and R.

Any noise made from P is probably the parking pawl releasing, which if under tension makes a noise.

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
Is there a definitive way to repeat the issue? I want to be able to reproduce it at the dealer to get the replacement.
If you have it, after the car is warmed up, got from P to R. Wait a moment. Pull it into neutral, wait a second and go to D. going from N>D will make it clank if the problem exists.

mbaran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Mine does it on cold start as well. Every day when I back out of my parking space, when I go from R to D I hear it.

Best way to explain the sound, is hitting a wooden spoon on a tin pot.

The Great Gazoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Silver GT/Auto
Thanks for posting the invoice! I'm taking this to a different dealer to have it looked at because my regular dealer says it is normal.
Sponsored