Auto transmission issue, Suggestions.

PeterParker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2019 4T Premium, 2018 Mazda 6 GTR
2019 auto, 6,000 miles. Driving down the road, slowed down and then tried to accelerate again. RPMs went way up and so did the engine liked it didn't want to shift, and a ' 1 ' appeared in orange right next to the odometer/mileage numbers. I pulled over, put it in park and then back in drive ... and no problems.

What was it? Anyone else experience this?
Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
That would be my guess, too. If you inadvertently touched a paddle while you were in S, that would explain it.

OP
OP
PeterParker

PeterParker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
I was not in shift mode, but maybe it 'slipped' into shift mode, which I may have to have checked out.

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
You tapped the left paddle and it went to 1st gear. Like others said, if you put the shifter into "S" its automatic but goes into full manual mode if you tap either paddles at least once and will show your current gear in orange. If you don't want it it go to into full manual, use the driver modes and go to Sport + if u wanted enhanced throttle response. In Sport + or any mode for that matter, if u use a paddle itll show the gear in orange but quickly disappears after a 1-2 seconds depending on when the ECU decides to change gears.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Yes, you somehow touched the paddle and put the car into “manual” mode - whether it was regular “D” or “S” Trans mode - no one knows because you didn’t state which Trans mode you where in - OR if you were in D or S and had also selected Drive Mode “S+”.

There are differences between TRANS modes and DRIVE modes (see further below).

This is what I posted a while back for new 10R80 Owners, so found it and clipped it again for the purpose of this thread content.

—-

Here ya go - this is all the info you need to know about paddle shifting AND the Trans Modes AND the Drive Modes (a little long, but complete):

The below applies to the 2018 10R80, but still applies to the 2019+ w/10R80:.

Drive Mode info (ie: as pertaining to only the Center Stack “MODE” switch”).

This is directly form the 2018 Owners Manual (and can be found in prior year Owners manuals):
3F081674-F267-4BA7-8A2A-C6DE95B83404.jpeg
A9CC9212-5B79-4AC7-A2CC-7FA899E0E493.jpeg

And this will help you too:

Here’s some helpful info for new 10R80 (A10) Owners that I had posted a few times on here:

[1] Trans selector in Normal (D) mode:
After initial vehicle start up, when the Trans is in (D) and without driver intervention of touching the paddles, the trans is going to auto shift based on what it has adapated from learning the Driver’s driving habits and Ford’s mapping. The trans will hold the gear long enough as preprogrammed from Ford’s mapping and will auto down/up shift as needed based on that mapping AND the adapted Driver’s habits. The transmission will select the BEST and most OPTIMUM gear needed - it does NOT always shift like 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 nor does it downshift through 10 consecutive gears.... it could go 1,3,5 or if downshifting, go 9,7,5.... you get the idea.

HOWEVER, if the driver intervenes while in (D) and clicks up/down with the paddles, the trans will hold the gear selected longer than the preprogrammed mode, but it will NOT redline and will auto shift out into the next gear IF the driver has not. The same is true for downshifting.

[2] Trans selector in Sport (S) mode, the Driver has (2) options:

A)
Touch the paddle and the trans is now controlled strictly by the Driver. This means if you click the paddle from a dead stop and start accelerating - the trans will NOT shift from 1 to 2 (or into any next gear) until the Driver makes the change manually. The car WILL hold the gear and WILL redline until the manual change is made by the driver. If the car was in motion and the Driver clicked a paddle (up or down), again, the trans WILL hold the current gear and CAN redline until the Driver makes the manual change.

B) If after vehicle start up, the Driver selected (S) initially and has NOT touched the paddles at all (and does NOT touch them while driving) - in (S) the car will hold out the gears much longer than if in (D); the trans WILL auto shift but will NOT hold the gear out to redline based on the preprogrammed mapping from Ford. IF while driving, the user moves the shifter from (D) to (S) and the Driver does NOT touch the paddles, again the trans will react exactly in the same manner where it’s following the preprogrammed mapping from Ford.

—————

The DRIVE MODE S+ is totally separate from the transmission selections. The S+ Drive Mode is triggered and activated only when the driver manually selects this mode using drive mode toggle switch in the center stack and it only changes:
1) Engine performance due to preprogrammed engine parameters.
2) Trans shift points

When in drive mode S+ with shifter in D, the car will still auto shift - even if the user has touched a paddle - if the user does not touch a paddle again, the car will still auto upshift (or downshift) itself.

The ONLY time the trans allows the vehicle to be in “full manual mode” is when the operator puts the shifter selector into “S”, regardless of what “drive mode” the operator has chosen from center stack for engine performance.

If the vehicle drive mode is S+ and the Trans selector is in S, once the operator touches a paddle to upshift or downshift (while driving OR from a standing stop) - the trans is taken out of its own “auto logic” and is now in complete manual mode - it will NOT upshift at all until the operator manually shifts via the paddles.

——

The above also applies to the 6R80 in the prior 2015-2017’s, with the obvious difference being the trans only cycles through 6 gears.

Last edited:

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
To add to @Cobra Jet post
-holding one of the paddles while in manual mode will switch back to auto
-If you do a quick dab on the throttle(can't remember if it was drive mode related or not/or gearbox mode) but the car will automtically jump down to the lowest gear suitable for that speed, meaning it can jump from 10th to 3rd, it will not hold it there forever though, good for a quick roll-race or if you are overtaking in an aggressive manner :D. Not talking about a kick-down

4sdvenom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang Cobra
I tried holding the upshift paddle while shifter was in "S" and I was in manual mode like was mentioned before to return to automatic mode from manual mode and it didn't work. At least not on the 6r80. Maybe I didn't hold long enough. It just upshifted into 5th when I released it and stayed there.

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I tried holding the upshift paddle while shifter was in "S" and I was in manual mode like was mentioned before to return to automatic mode from manual mode and it didn't work. At least not on the 6r80. Maybe I didn't hold long enough. It just upshifted into 5th when I released it and stayed there.
Ok, cannot comment on the 6R80 unfortunately. Try hold it for a bit longer and check 3-5s should be sufficient

OP
OP
PeterParker

PeterParker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
You guys really cleared this up for me, especially cobra jet. I was in D mode and must have hit the paddle somehow. Very useful info by all and will keep in mind if this ever happens again. Thanks.
Sponsored