Sponsored

Auto-Trans Issue

Noble-6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
(So I posted this in the 'Issues' sub-forum, but didn't get responses - was wondering if anyone here could give some input.)

I encountered a weird issue last night. I'm driving an Ecoboost PP w/ the automatic transmission.

There's 750mi on it and haven't pushed it hard until tonight. I was coming from a stop and briefly took it to just shy of 6000RPM (I let the computer do the shifting). When this happened there was a high-frequency buzzing/vibration that I could hear from what seemed to be the back of the car and also feel in the shifter.

Tried to re-create it and it did the same thing from another stop.

A few minutes later, I made a right turn and felt a thud from the right side of the vehicle. I went home and pulled it into my driveway and then noticed a slight thud when shifting from 'Drive' to 'Park' and an even louder thud/vibration when shifting it back into 'Drive.

I drove the car around again, and it seemed to be shifting normally between gears but is still making the same thud when shifting between Park/Reverse/Drive. It never did this before.

Any ideas on what this could be?
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Sounds like a u-joint possibly. Could be some other drivetrain component. The dealer will fix it for free. Edit: are there even u-joints in there anymore? Maybe a CV-joint. :)

Laztug

Wanna run dyno slips bro?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Calling out OKC #1 spot after axle back install.
Maybe its an issue with your drive shaft? The transmission is bullet proof.

Rondog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustangecoboost
I have "clunk clunk" when accelerating hard from a dead stop. Dealer said they found a cracked cross member and they have ordered the part but it has not been installed yet. I never had a vibration, just the clunk. Hoping the new cross member will fix the problem.
Eco/PP/auto Ron

OP
OP

Noble-6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
I have "clunk clunk" when accelerating hard from a dead stop. Dealer said they found a cracked cross member and they have ordered the part but it has not been installed yet. I never had a vibration, just the clunk. Hoping the new cross member will fix the problem.
Eco/PP/auto Ron

Yeah, I first noticed my issue in the same scenario. Except instead of a clunk it was a more of a buzzing that kicked it once the tach hit 6K rpm. It also hung there a bit. One thing I've noticed with the AT is it sometimes tends to stay stuck in a higher gear awhile before upshifting.

Sponsored

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Eco/PP/auto Ron
Hey Rondog,

I'm here to help! PM your VIN, mileage, name, phone number, and dealer info. I'll check into options on my end. Let's get your 'Stang reigned back in. :thumbsup:

Jeff :ford:

Rondog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustangecoboost
Eco/PP/auto Ron
My ecoboost was in the dealer shop today to have the cross member replaced. According to the service tech the drive shaft is bad which caused the cross member to crack. They have ordered a new drive shaft and a few other misc parts.

OP
OP

Noble-6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Could you describe in more detail what you were experiencing during acceleration prior to getting it fixed?

Rondog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustangecoboost
Could you describe in more detail what you were experiencing during acceleration prior to getting it fixed?
Not fixed yet. At this point I'm assuming when they install the new DS it will fix the problem but don't really know until they replace it.

To answer your question; The only thing I noticed was a "clunk clunk" during hard acceleration from a dead stop when the auto trans was shifting from first to second. And I don't mean heavy burn out, maybe 3/4 throttle or better. I didn't notice any vibration or any thing else abnormal. I even did a Laguna Seca track day and all was normal. Hope this helps, Ron
BTY, I noticed your build date is 1/26. My build is 1/27. FWTW

OP
OP

Noble-6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Not fixed yet. At this point I'm assuming when they install the new DS it will fix the problem but don't really know until they replace it.

To answer your question; The only thing I noticed was a "clunk clunk" during hard acceleration from a dead stop when the auto trans was shifting from first to second. And I don't mean heavy burn out, maybe 3/4 throttle or better. I didn't notice any vibration or any thing else abnormal. I even did a Laguna Seca track day and all was normal. Hope this helps, Ron
BTY, I noticed your build date is 1/26. My build is 1/27. FWTW

Ah, I'm sorry to hear that. If I recall there were a few other people on here who had drive shaft issues. Can't say mine has the same issue - everything seems to be normal until I hit 6000 RPM on a hard acceleration and then the clunking between Drive/Park shifts.

Hope everything in your car gets fixed quickly and will be running normally. I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on mine in case anything else pops up.

Sponsored

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Can't say mine has the same issue - everything seems to be normal until I hit 6000 RPM on a hard acceleration and then the clunking between Drive/Park shifts.
Hey Noble-6,

Is this a different sound then we had previously spoken about? Did you have them take a look when it was in for the dash issue?

Jeff

OP
OP

Noble-6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Hey Noble-6,

Is this a different sound then we had previously spoken about? Did you have them take a look when it was in for the dash issue?

Jeff

This is one of the same sounds it was making. They did check it out and seemed to think it was normal - I'm not sure if they took a look underneath or not - The car seems to be functioning okay despite the sound, so I'm just going to keep an eye on it to see if it gets worse or causes any problems.

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
This is one of the same sounds it was making. They did check it out and seemed to think it was normal - I'm not sure if they took a look underneath or not - The car seems to be functioning okay despite the sound, so I'm just going to keep an eye on it to see if it gets worse or causes any problems.
I hear you. Just send me a PM if you need me in the meantime.

Jeff

OP
OP

Noble-6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost