Sponsored

Automatic: Revving on N whilst cruising?

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Since it's just an electronic selector, I believe the software won't actually do it if you did throw it in Reverse.
There was a video posted where someone did it in an F-150. It didn't actually hit reverse until the vehicle was almost fully stopped IIRC. Park on the other hand.....
Would I ever do that or test that theory? Uh, no.
Electronic selector? Not on 15-17 6r80 cars. Cable/mechanical shifter.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Electronic selector? Not on 15-17 6r80 cars. Cable/mechanical shifter.
doesn't matter. There are at least 2 interlocks that prevent you putting the trans in R while moving forward more than a fast walk.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
doesn't matter. There are at least 2 interlocks that prevent you putting the trans in R while moving forward more than a fast walk.
The fact that there maybe 2 interlocks does not matter, when the point i stressed was the shifter is mechanical not an electronic selector.

Nexus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Point taken. Electronic directly, indirectly, or physical lockout.
Transmissions are not meant to engage reverse while traveling forward. Sure, you can jam it in at the bottom of your driveway apron while you're still rolling a little, but even that's not the best of practices. "The safest bet is to just not do it," said Craig Renneker, Ford's Chief Engineer for transmission programs.
As a way of protecting us from ourselves, automakers design a function called Reverse Inhibit into transmissions to prevent inadvertent selection of reverse. "Putting it into reverse [in modern cars] when going forward has no action at all, the car just ignores the request until you get down to a proper speed," said Renneker, using Ford's six-speed automatics as an example; "It'll just say 'hey, I know you want reverse pal, but I'm just not going to give it to you until the appropriate time.'"

OP
OP

VaasL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pablo
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Ecoboost Convertible
the auto box will do nothing bad if you select reverse at any forward speed. f it even lets you do that (various mechanical lockouts might be in place) i doubt it's engineered to grab reverse and fire you through the windscreen. Folks have tried it, nothing happened. I still wouldn't recommend it on your own car though!
Since it's just an electronic selector, I believe the software won't actually do it if you did throw it in Reverse.
There was a video posted where someone did it in an F-150. It didn't actually hit reverse until the vehicle was almost fully stopped IIRC. Park on the other hand.....
Would I ever do that or test that theory? Uh, no.
Point taken. Electronic directly, indirectly, or physical lockout.
Transmissions are not meant to engage reverse while traveling forward. Sure, you can jam it in at the bottom of your driveway apron while you're still rolling a little, but even that's not the best of practices. "The safest bet is to just not do it," said Craig Renneker, Ford's Chief Engineer for transmission programs.
As a way of protecting us from ourselves, automakers design a function called Reverse Inhibit into transmissions to prevent inadvertent selection of reverse. "Putting it into reverse [in modern cars] when going forward has no action at all, the car just ignores the request until you get down to a proper speed," said Renneker, using Ford's six-speed automatics as an example; "It'll just say 'hey, I know you want reverse pal, but I'm just not going to give it to you until the appropriate time.'"
I mean, you would hope so, makes sense.
The question is, who here is brave enough to try and end the discussion?

Sponsored

W.O.T. Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1 401A
If you are in S on the shifter and push up quickly, it will go straight to N and no farther. Works great for a quick rev while moving!

OP
OP

VaasL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pablo
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Ecoboost Convertible
By the way, anyone knows why I would get pops and bangs when on N but absolutely never when on S/D?
Sponsored