Sponsored

Auto headlights, yes or no?

Do you keep it on auto headlight?

• Yes

Votes: 121 69.9%
  • No

Votes: 39 22.5%
  • Popeye’s makes great chicken sandwiches.

Votes: 17 9.8%

• Total voters

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase
I keep it on Auto all the time (dealership is the only one to ever touch that switch...). I have noticed that 2018+ cars ALWAYS have their actual headlights on, vs the 2015-2017's only having the tribar DRLs on during the day. Has to be a sensor thing....
Car looks dumb with headlights on during the day. Makes the DRLs useless.
Sponsored

OP
OP
GMONSTAH

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I keep it on Auto all the time (dealership is the only one to ever touch that switch...). I have noticed that 2018+ cars ALWAYS have their actual headlights on, vs the 2015-2017's only having the tribar DRLs on during the day. Has to be a sensor thing....
I think you're right! I thought they were coming on too early, but come to think of it, I think they're on all the time, like you said, which is exactly why I went back to manual. Makes no sense, takes away from the look, and just needlessly keeps the LED's on...

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The setting "daytime lights" is what causes this. On 18+, if you have the switch on auto and that enabled, the main lamps are basically always on. If you turn it off, it's just the tri bars.

OP
OP
GMONSTAH

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if there's a setting where "auto" means just headlights come on at dusk (as it should), lemme check the manual...

Hbassi5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hardeep
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
I have mine auto daylights running lights off because I like the tribar look during the daytime.

Sponsored

OP
OP
GMONSTAH

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Well, shit, I found the "problem"...
20200808_143039.jpg

OP
OP
GMONSTAH

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Back on "auto"... With that box unchecked, the tribars stay on and headlights off until dusk.

I think the tribars are always on regardless.
20200808_145203.jpg

OP
OP
GMONSTAH

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
BTW, that box was checked on by default, I never touched it. I'm guessing it's set that way from the factory.

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
As an added bonus to the auto lamp, the lights will come on with your wipers if you get caught in a downpour. I initially turned off the DRLs a couple of months after buying the car thinking it was a waste, then I noticed more cars pulling out in front of me from side streets. After a month of this, I enabled them again and it seemed to help reduce the incidents. I also learned that the DRLs are only on when the car is in gear (A-10).

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
When it gets dark, I switch on my headlights, when it gets light out, I reverse the procedure.
When it rains, I switch on the wipers, when the rain stops, I reverse the procedure.
The backup camera however, I use that all the time.

Sponsored

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
As an added bonus to the auto lamp, the lights will come on with your wipers if you get caught in a downpour. I initially turned off the DRLs a couple of months after buying the car thinking it was a waste, then I noticed more cars pulling out in front of me from side streets. After a month of this, I enabled them again and it seemed to help reduce the incidents. I also learned that the DRLs are only on when the car is in gear (A-10).
Your observations match enough research for it to be a requirement in the EU that all cars (since 2010 or so) have DRLs.

Previously living in a country where it was common to not turn on the headlights until well past dark ("too save money"), I eventually grew used to ignoring every tenth car flashing me in the daytime, trying to give me a helpful reminder that I'd forgotten to turn off my lights. Also grew used to thanking the police for telling me to turn off my lights when stopped at police checks, before turning them on again once out of sight.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Also under the lighting options there's a secret option called autolamp delay.
Isn't that the delay for headlights after you turn the engine off at night?

At any rate, I always have the auto feature off. I rarely drive at night, and with auto on, the headlights turn on every time I pull the car into and out of the garage. But the first reason alone is enough to keep them off :D.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
BTW, that box was checked on by default, I never touched it. I'm guessing it's set that way from the factory.
Yeah, mine was checked by default as well. 4000 miles of headlights basically always on, lol. Dumb. Luckily the LED units have a crazy long life.

Isn't that the delay for headlights after you turn the engine off at night?

At any rate, I always have the auto feature off. I rarely drive at night, and with auto on, the headlights turn on every time I pull the car into and out of the garage. But the first reason alone is enough to keep them off :D.
Hmmm....maybe. I guess I haven't actually tested it. Seems kinda silly if that's the case, but what can you do lol.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I haven't driven my GT at night... so I guess the headlight setting hasn't come up. I'll have to check it out. Maybe when I go to Popeye's.

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase
I like the feature. My wife's 300C had it and you could control when they came on. I finally found the setting in the Mustang to make 'em come on a bit sooner, plus I had my tint guy put a piece of 5% tint over the sensor. My Escape's lights come on soon enough, so I've not needed to fiddle with the setting. I like it that the lights come on if the wipers are on.
Sponsored