Sponsored

Aussie Exhausts

Hornet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
No tune needed for catback work. i.e. xpipe or axle back exhausts (which together make a catback). It's once you remove the cats or go to higher flowing ones and change headers that you need a tune
Sponsored

Streetfighter Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.streetfighter.net.au
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Mustang
Hey all, i,m getting an x-pipe put on my car today, and was told i would need a tune because of the change in back pressure,
is the tune really a necessity or bit of a money grab.
Cheers.
Not required.

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
Hey all, i,m getting an x-pipe put on my car today, and was told i would need a tune because of the change in back pressure,
is the tune really a necessity or bit of a money grab.
Cheers.
Hi Troy. Which x pipe did you go with.

Mustang madness2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Troy
Vehicle(s)
MY19, MUSTANG GT. AUTO, RUBY RED.
Thanks Hornet and David for the info i took your advice and said no to the tune.

Cheers.

Mustang madness2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Troy
Vehicle(s)
MY19, MUSTANG GT. AUTO, RUBY RED.
Hi Troy. Which x pipe did you go with.
Hi Peter i ended up putting the BBK one on,and then also bought the GT350R carbon fibre rear spoiler,
which i'll install over the weekend.

Last edited:
Reactions: PKs

Sponsored

Vogtland Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.americanspeed.com.au
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Porsche 987 Spyder
Regarding a posted excuse for selling mild steel headers over US 304 stainless headers I thought it best to respond with fact rather than some made up fiction that I have recently read elsewhere. When companies and so called header manufacturer claim that Mild Steel is better than 304 Stainless Steel just tell them they are just full of it. The reason they push mild steel headers is that their profit margins are huge when compared to selling top quality stainless headers. In most cases they do not have the top quality pipe bending equipment needed to successfully bend 304 SS, this is why you see some Chinese made headers consist of 30 plus sections of pipes welded together.

Here are just some of the facts on why US Made 304 Grade Stainless Headers are better than a Mild Steel Brand 'SF' ‘H’ or Chinese made Stainless Brand 'X'. If you have any questions just message us or call us. If it was better to use mild steel then the likes of the top header manufacturers such as American Racing Headers, Kooks, Stainless Works etc would use it, mild steel is certainly cheaper. The fact is they don’t use mild steel. If someone tells you the exhaust or headers they sell are 304 Stainless use a magnet to check it. 304SS is non magnetic. 409SS is magnetic and is a cheap quality stainless which in fact will rust and is not in the same league as 304SS. Also beware of what wall thickness tubing is used and on what quality catalytic convertors are supplied.

Ask yourself did the company who manufacture the headers do any engine or chassis dyno testing when analysing primary pipe lengths, diameters, pipe rotation into the collectors, collector lengths, do they manufacture for Ford Racing, GM Performance, Mopar.

Enough said. Please enjoy the article link.

https://burnsstainless.com/blogs/articles-1/stainless-steels-for-exhaust-systems?fbclid=IwAR20UZCGo52KTpQ600TuMFMvOoeu99LDQZjx9_-pKJLYToCyfOB3kuWXXmI

Last edited:

Vogtland Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.americanspeed.com.au
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Fred, so I'm guessing it would then be possible to go the Borla Touring system with your quad tipped axelback?...What valance would suit that? .
Hi Gt0132

The quad rear mufflers will only be in the S Type or ATAK. No Touring at this stage.

Re the rear valance we will be trialling some different brands to see which works the best.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
If you got mild steel or 409 stainless headers and had them ceramic thermal coated inside and out, would they be as good as 304 SS while also reducing heat in the engine bay?

Vogtland Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.americanspeed.com.au
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
If you got mild steel or 409 stainless headers and had them ceramic thermal coated inside and out, would they be as good as 304 SS while also reducing heat in the engine bay?
This is part of the quote within the article referring to the qualities of Stainless Steel Headers ( not 409 SS).

In addition, there are companies that coat headers with a thermal barrier, typically some type of ceramic formula, in order to keep the heat inside the exhaust system. Stainless steel performs this function without the need for add-ons because it has a much lower coefficient of thermal conductivity, thereby keeping more heat inside and transmitting it to the header outlet.

I have checked underhood temps in our Mustang GT and compared that of two others one being stock exhaust manifolds the other with coated mild steel headers. Our car has ARH 304 Stainless headers and recording the underhood temp on the same day and time was approx. 10 - 15 deg less.

The other important fact's when comparing headers is

1. Flow characteristics and ultimate HP and TQ output on a Mustang GT S550 (very important). Both the ARH and Kooks have shown more HP and TQ than any other brands on sale here in Australia. Both brands Dyno and both use many of the leading race teams (NASCAR, NHRA etc) in the USA for feedback.

2. The advantage of both ARH and Kooks have when it comes to installation. Both will marry straight up to the factory exhaust without any need to cut, weld or modify any connections. No need for out of date flanged connections. Reason being is that both companies have processes that allow proper reductions in pipe diameters to allow slip on connections.

3. Both ARH and Kooks allow you to marry straight up to Exhaust brands such as Borla, Corsa, Magnaflow, Ford Performance or you factory exhaust etc without having to waste money getting extensions made with crappy welds etc.

4. Ease of installation. Both ARH and Kooks require an average of 5 hrs labour time for installation. Compared to other brands where 7 -8 hrs installation seems to be the norm. So you save on installation time and installation costs.

5. Components. ARH and Kooks are USA made 304 Stainless Steel, Thicker wall thickness premium quality seamless stainless. Complete with all gaskets, fasteners, clamps, O2 Extensions, premium US Made or Canadian Catalytic Convertors. Everything you need for installation is included.

6. ARH and Kooks offer the option of Green Catalytic Convertors which require no tune in your Mustang GT as their quality is such that no CEL (check engine light) is thrown. These cats are rated at flowing up to 550HP per cat for a total of 1100 HP. Allows your car to be completely emission legal and still have the benefit of the added horsepower and torque.

7. Our own 17 Mustang GT manual using the Green Catted headers made a gain of 28rwkw (38rwhp) and 50Nm on the stock factory tune in back to back before and after dyno testing same day same dyno. Much greater gains on a car that has a good quality tune have been achieved. The no tune with headers could not be achieved on any local mild steel headers or shiny Chinese headers that normally come with the cheap as chips poor quality Chinese made catalytic convertors which now seem to be clogging up after a couple of years in use.

8. Ceramic coating on the local headers is normally applied to mild steel headers in order to help lower the outside temp and in many cases to make them look better, it also helps them from rusting out earlier, however most mild steel headers rust from the inside as moisture collects and sits there, coating the inside is very rarely performed adequately. 304 SS Headers are generally cooler on the outside than even the ceramic coated mild steel headers, they retain the heat on the inside and help in adding horsepower, they will not rust from the inside or outside.

9. Compare the overall real cost and the savings are generally not there when buying the Mild Steel Headers, taking into account fitting time, components supplied, modifications to make them fit etc. They may look cheaper at first glance but then you need to compare apples with apples.

There is a great saying that is worth remembering

Quality Ain't Cheap and Cheap Ain't Quality

Streetfighter Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.streetfighter.net.au
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Mustang
Streetfighter work with Pacemaker Headers Australia to help develop and manufacture all our Mustang headers. We work with Pacemaker on computer designed header lengths , diameters , collectors etc and then test on dyno, race track and road to develop a high quality tuned length header.
Pacemaker have built OEM headers for Holden,HSV and Ford Australia along with after market Stainless steel and Ceramic coated headers for many 100s of Motorsport companies and retail customers. The decision to utilise Ceramic mild over SS has come from over over a quarter of a century of modern vehicle header technology.
As mentioned previously, the debate over SS vs Ceramic mild has been going for years. Never has our company doubted or claimed that properly designed and manufactured SS headers are not as good better or worse than Ceramic coated headers. We have quoted that "we have manufactured both and our company preference is definitely Ceramic coated mild over stainless."
Ceramic coated mild headers have been used in Australia as a high performance product with lifetime reliabilty by many top Australian header companies for decades. All of a sudden we have the U.S products coming in with vested interests.
It seems that Vogtland Mustang wrongly quotes our posts in an effort to further his wholesaling parts and products business sales .
The forum is great a great place for information, and cut and pasting from articles around the world is easy to do.

I would rather that the testimonies of our many hundreds of retail and workshop customers, the independent testing by Motor Magazine of the fastest Mustang tested,both N/A and Supercharged and of our customers drag strip and track times continue to back our claims of the quality and performance of SF headers.
I would also rather that the undeniable fact that many brands of ceramic headers have proven themselves over decades on Australia's leading sports cars and motorsport vehicles winning hundreds of titles in both sprint races and endurance eg. Bathurst, providing guaranteed reliability.

I also encourage any one that wants to see high quality Australian manufacturing of Mustang products to come and have a tour through our facilities. and Motorsport workshop .
Rather than trusting second hand articles you can speak directly with the Australian engineers and manufacturers of all Australian made headers and other SF products.
We would love to personally show anyone interested through our factory.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Streetfighter Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.streetfighter.net.au
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Mustang
@Vogtland Mustang thanks Fred for your response. What's the warranty on those cats?

@Streetfighter Mustang what are your headers producing with no tune and what's the installation time?

Cheers!
Strictly without tune , our Streetfighter headers and cats are producing 30 plus kw.This is mainly due to the replacement of the RH factory manifold being restrictive.
We quote 6 hours to fit the headers. No cutting welding etc. Direct fit.

Vogtland Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.americanspeed.com.au
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
@Vogtland Mustang thanks Fred for your response. What's the warranty on those cats?

@Streetfighter Mustang what are your headers producing with no tune and what's the installation time?

Cheers!
Hi GT550 in a normally aspirated scenario your warranty on the Green Cats would be three years. However if you use a ie Lund Ghost Cam tune (even Lund don't recommend running cats with this) then its zero warranty because these will be dumping excessive fuel into the system and can lead to clogging of the cats, no matter which cats are used.

In a S/C car warranty would be on a case by case scenario, too many factors at play. Just to say that as of today I have not heard of a Green Cat failure, in part it would be due to the scenario that anyone who has an S/C Mustang S550 has normally had a professional tuning shop normally do the install and correct tune at the same time. I know that GESI who produce the Green Cats would certainly stand behind their products

I have posted below an interview between both Eric Latino the owner GESI (Green Cats) and Chris Clark from Kooks that was made early last year. Eric is a top NHRA Pro Mod racer and his engineering background and expertise is in Emissions and Cylinder Head Design and Flow.

This short video should help in getting a better understanding of the differences in Catalytic Convertors.

RobH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Hi, can anyone help me with details for a good exhaust shop close to Melbourne (city)?
Need to get some sleeves made up to reinstall the factory silencer because I’ve been requested to visit EPA for a sound test