Sponsored

Argh, damaged Carbon wheel on the inside...

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Of course, as soon as I started driving around Boston roads in my R, I must have caught some rocks... now I have some nice stripes on the front left caliper, but most importantly, a 2" sized stripe on the inside ceramic protection of the wheel... I think it's completely stripped off.
Should I worry? I mean this layer is only for heat protection when you track the car heavily... I will track it but I doubt I will get it up to temperatures that will damage the wheel.
Is there a place where this can be fixed?

Many thanks
Sponsored

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/gt350r-carbon-fiber-wheel-repair.120081/

I gave up on worrying about ruining a 6k wheel on the street. I just bought my second set of signature SV902s so that i never have to go through this process again.

20190910_175622.jpg

Frank did a good job on the repair. I've seen some of his other repairs that were not as good as mine because he would do a quick mask of the affected area and spray. With mine, he sprayed the whole ceramic part of the barrel and that looked better than the job i described above. Another peril is shipping. I took my tire off to ship in an enclosed container. Because of that, the wheel had a few minor scratches along the rim. I suggest protecting your wheel by using gorrilla tape along the rim and using trakk tape to cover the paint on the face of the wheel. You and I look at it as a beautiful 6k wheel, but he looks at it as a job he has to get done and it seemed he didnt care too much anout the aesthetics of the wheel. Another issue was turn around time. He took his sweet time and I had a feeling my wheels sat around a while until I bothered him enough to get off is rear and do a rush job to jet it done.

You'll be fine sending it off to him. He is the expert in these matters. Do your due diligence and ship it properly (ship with tire on if you can) and protect the painted portions of your wheel. Ask that he spray the entire ceramic footprint of the barrel and you will be happy.

I'd like to know what he uses so that I could do any future repair like this myself.

As for actual CF damage, he is absolutely the guy to go to. X ray inspection equipment and lots of experience in CF repair.... He has worked with carbon revolutions engineers for repair procedures on these wheels.

SV902s....
20190618_120716.jpg

20190618_120733.jpg

20190618_120704.jpg

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Of course, as soon as I started driving around Boston roads in my R, I must have caught some rocks... now I have some nice stripes on the front left caliper, but most importantly, a 2" sized stripe on the inside ceramic protection of the wheel... I think it's completely stripped off.
Should I worry? I mean this layer is only for heat protection when you track the car heavily... I will track it but I doubt I will get it up to temperatures that will damage the wheel.
Is there a place where this can be fixed?

Many thanks
Do you have photos? Did it grind into the CF?

OP
OP
torque124

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have photos? Did it grind into the CF?
Here it is.... sorry I forgot to take a pic when I removed the wheel to inspect and clean, but you get an idea.It only shaved off that white layer of ceramic.
Thank you.
DSC00146.jpg

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
I would not worry about that personally, maybe only if you tracked the car extensively. Gouges like that are inevitable.

I can probably get a cf wheel for ~$2800 if you want to pony up though. I have a cracked rear and can get a whole set for about $9500 and try to sell up to 3 of them eventually. I know another member here is in a similar situation with a bubble in his cf wheel and warranties denying him.
Sponsored