Sponsored

Anyone using Auto Blip?

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
I'm looking into possibly getting the Auto Blip and am curious to hear from anyone that actually has one. What do you think about it? I of course would love to learn how to heel/toe but this being my first time on a track in a stick car, I feel like one less thing to worry about wouldn't be a bad thing. Guess my thought is that once I get to the point I feel comfortable with everything else, then I can throw that in and try to learn. Anyways I don't want this to turn into a heel/toe discussion vs auto blip. I would like to hear from those that actually have experience with it. How do you like it? Thanks
Sponsored

OP
OP
chain

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
Actually just realized this should be in Auto-x, HPDE, Road Course. If a mod could move it that would be great. Thanks

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
I suggest you simply learn how to drive. If you can rev match a downshift you have all the skill required to run around a road course.

It sounds like tracking the car is a new skill you are learning, so you wont be pushing the car hard enough (or cant, driving fast is hard) to warrant the need to heel/toe. Focus more on car control, being smooth, and most importantly getting the car into the correct positions on the track. :like:

OP
OP
chain

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
I only plan on using it for the track. I have done auto-x and track days before. That being said this will be my first track day with a stick car. I rev match when I down shift on the street but figure that's a bit different than heel toe in a fast paced environment.

I did some research and everyone I find that has it seems to love it. I ended up going for it. Will probably install it this weekend. =)

I know I don't need it but hey, who can't use another toy?

Sponsored

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I only plan on using it for the track. I have done auto-x and track days before. That being said this will be my first track day with a stick car. I rev match when I down shift on the street but figure that's a bit different than heel toe in a fast paced environment.

I did some research and everyone I find that has it seems to love it. I ended up going for it. Will probably install it this weekend. =)

I know I don't need it but hey, who can't use another toy?
I just got to use mine this weekend and I loved it, worked perfectly.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Autoblip is great on the track, and even when driving hard on back roads. As long as you have it setup properly it works perfectly. I had it wrong at first and made for a very rough downshift, but tuned the delay and intensity and it blips exactly to where the next gear is.

As Alex said, you have to be braking for it to engage...thus is only works when driving hard and slowing down for a corner that you need to take in a lower gear. Not as nice as the OEM ones like in the Camaro, but when just downshifting and not braking at the same time it's not exactly hard to blip the throttle. It's the heel and toe part where most people have a hard time.

El_Centenario

5L V8PWR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT Triple Yellow
I'm also thinking of getting the auto blip mainly for when I cruise up in the canyons. I've tried heal to toe and just can't get my foot in the right location. Just curious at what settings did you start off on and then adjusted to best fit your driving style.

Thanks

Autoblip is great on the track, and even when driving hard on back roads. As long as you have it setup properly it works perfectly. I had it wrong at first and made for a very rough downshift, but tuned the delay and intensity and it blips exactly to where the next gear is.

As Alex said, you have to be braking for it to engage...thus is only works when driving hard and slowing down for a corner that you need to take in a lower gear. Not as nice as the OEM ones like in the Camaro, but when just downshifting and not braking at the same time it's not exactly hard to blip the throttle. It's the heel and toe part where most people have a hard time.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I'm also thinking of getting the auto blip mainly for when I cruise up in the canyons. I've tried heal to toe and just can't get my foot in the right location. Just curious at what settings did you start off on and then adjusted to best fit your driving style.

Thanks
It's not really based on driving style, you have to match it to the car.

What I did wrong is I had the intensity too high, thus it blipped the throttle too much and it was jerky when letting go of the clutch as the engine wanted to be at 4000rpm for example and the blip got it to 5000rpm instead. So I turned the intensity down slowly until the blip happened at the right rpm for the next gear. Basically watch the tach as the blip happens and you let go of the clutch. If the blip is too low and the RPMs jump, then increase intensity. If the blip is too much and the RPMs get pulled back as you get in gear then lower the intensity. If done perfectly, you will feel it and see that the RPM it blips to is exactly the RPM of the next gear.

Sponsored
OP
OP
chain

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
I got the Auto Blip installed today. I removed the cigarette outlet from the console and routed the wire through there and down the side of the console. I didn't get a picture of it but the controller is stuck to the inside of the console on the right side facing the driver. I used channel lock snap ring pliers to spread the plastic tabs inside of the power outlet so I could slide it out. Working with the wires under the dash wasn't fun but I got it done. Just used the provided wire taps and checked everything for continuity after installation. Got it calibrated and things seem to be good. The weather is trash today but hope to test it out tomorrow. Track day is Wednesday.
20180909_163530.jpg
20180909_163613.jpg
20180909_165818.jpg
View attachment 303512

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
I got the Auto Blip installed today. I removed the cigarette outlet from the console and routed the wire through there and down the side of the console. I didn't get a picture of it but the controller is stuck to the inside of the console on the right side facing the driver. I used channel lock snap ring pliers to spread the plastic tabs inside of the power outlet so I could slide it out. Working with the wires under the dash wasn't fun but I got it done. Just used the provided wire taps and checked everything for continuity after installation. Got it calibrated and things seem to be good. The weather is trash today but hope to test it out tomorrow. Track day is Wednesday.
20180909_163530.jpg
20180909_163613.jpg
20180909_165818.jpg
View attachment 303512
Great tip, thank you!

OP
OP
chain

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
Any questions let me know. I'll help where I can. I have been debating if I am going to leave it in or pull it out and sell it. I played with it some on the track and ended up deciding to turn it off and try my hand at heel toe braking. Surprisingly it came pretty naturally and felt good. So much so that I am not sure I see the need for the auto blip now. That being said if I could get it dialed in right I might decide to stick with it, we'll see.
Sponsored