Sponsored

Anyone use an oil extractor pump for oil changes?

Striker01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1, 90 LX Coupe, 99 SVT Lightning, 99 WS6
Very common and popular in the VW/Audi enthusiasts is to use a pump extractor to remove oil through the dipstick tube.

Curios if anyone in here has ever used this method before on these cars ?

I recently discovered that my 9.8 degree of incline (low) drive on ramps don’t work well it my CFTP and to drop 400/500 bills on some race ramps doesn’t seem wise.

Filter I can get from the wheel well once I remove the wheel
Sponsored

Ramairetransam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 s550
i have an idea to allow you to use the drain , get a jack with a pinch weld adapter , then lift up the drivers front , take the wheel off and then put a drain pan underneath and lower the jack down as low as possible , i have used this technique on other coupes in the past.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; I use a pump to remove oil from my automatic transmission on my truck. Have not tried engine oil but see no reason for such to be a problem.
A question might be how much oil can be removed that way. I went this way as dropping the trans oil pan is a big pain. I only get around 3 1/2 quarts out and know this is not anywhere near all. but in an auto trans you cannot get all old oil out even dropping the pan.
I try to change the trans oil soon after a drive. Not necessarily hot but at least warm.

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
Get your ass under the car and drain the oil from the bottom like Henry ford intended. Lol. Seriously though this won’t get rid of the heavier sludge film that accumulates at the bottom of the oil pan. Whether that’s an issue for you depends on your level of OCD.

I use these on my boat in the fall but still drain the oil from the bottom each spring. You’d be surprised the gunk that comes out from the bottom.

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
i have an idea to allow you to use the drain , get a jack with a pinch weld adapter , then lift up the drivers front , take the wheel off and then put a drain pan underneath and lower the jack down as low as possible , i have used this technique on other coupes in the past.
This is what I do. The jack points on this car are actually really solid. I just use a chunk of wood and my jack, then put jackstands in the little pocket at each jack point.

Sponsored

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buy a jack?

You shouldn't have much sludge if you are regularly changing your oil. Seems like all the oil change places do it that way now.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Very common and popular in the VW/Audi enthusiasts is to use a pump extractor to remove oil through the dipstick tube.

Curios if anyone in here has ever used this method before on these cars ?

I recently discovered that my 9.8 degree of incline (low) drive on ramps don’t work well it my CFTP and to drop 400/500 bills on some race ramps doesn’t seem wise.

Filter I can get from the wheel well once I remove the wheel
Install jacking rails, then you can jack the car up right in the middle, and place jack stands front and rear at the same time. However, Im sure you could test your theory and see how much oil you can extract. As long as you are changing your oil frequently and with good quality oil, you shouldnt have any sludge or build-up to worry about, and leaving 5% of the old oil in the pan won't make any difference. The VW's/Audi's also have the filter cartridge on the top, so they don't have to lift the vehicle at all

DrewT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium
I bought an oil extraction pump but the pickup tubing seems too rigid to go down the dipstick tube. The Mustang dipstick tube makes a bend before entering the engine block. I didn’t want to force it more than I was so I gave up. ☹

Aless_andro00

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang
Using an oil extractor pump for oil changes is pretty popular, especially if the oil filter is easy to reach from the top or through the wheel well. This method is really convenient for cars like VWs and Audis, and it works for other cars too, as long as the oil filter isn't hard to get to under the car.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; Another use for the pump is to change out some of the power steering fluid ( for vehicles with a hydraulic pump). I do so at every oil change.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
No. I let gravity do it's thing while I walk away for a couple hours.

OP
OP
Striker01

Striker01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i just splurged and got some 80" race ramps. I figured this wont be the only low car i used them on so why not

rp930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500, 2019 Ranger, 2015 MB GLK250
i just splurged and got some 80" race ramps. I figured this wont be the only low car i used them on so why not
Which part number. And does everything clear? They are on my short list.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I use one of these for the Kawasaki motor on my Scag but have never tried it on a vehicle. No doubt it would get most of the oil but I think there would be more residual remaining simply because it's a bigger oil pan. I love the thing and makes mower oil changes a breeze.

OP
OP
Striker01

Striker01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Which part number. And does everything clear? They are on my short list.

The 80 inch ones. I believe the largest ones they make. If they don’t work then I don’t know wtf will.
Sponsored