Sponsored

anyone install a race seat?

nordique14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Magnetic Gray (J1601)
Has anyone taken out the stock seat and put in an aftermarket seat? I assume I will get an airbag warning light (as there will not be a side airbag). Any way to get the car to ignore the missing airbag? I am hoping there is a FORScan or plug-in resistor or something.

I am going to be installing a Recaro race seat. It is a must have for me as I need the headroom. Please let me know if you have a solution. Thanks!
Sponsored

RoadRacer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I install Corbeau seats for track days and just ignore the gauge display light. I tried to locate a plug-in solution about a year ago and didn't have any luck.

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I’m in the same boat.

Seems like some guys have molested their stock seats and taken out the bladder, harness etc and ziptied it under the new seat.

I have no oem seatbelts anymore and am using race harnesses.

I was able to stop the chime with a YouTube videos help.

Now it’s a matter of dealing with the airbag light and such.

Sponsored

OP
OP

nordique14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not looking to rip apart the stock seats just to scavenge the airbag.

Is it easy to reuse the seat belt receptacle from the stock seat? If it is difficult to remove from the seat then I will just buy a new one from Ford. Looks to be about $100 for a new one.

iTutn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Accord Euro R / 2016 GT Premium PP
[ame]

Maybe this can help, I need to watch the video myself as I have Braum seats now and the lights annoy me.

mkonrad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
I kept the harnesses from tech seats and mounted them to 2 Sparco seats, and bought replacement airbag harnesses which were fairly cheap. Then I replaced the airbag connector with the aforementioned 2 ohm resistor spliced in and kept the harnesses intact. No codes or lights.

Reusing the seatbelt is easy - just disconnect from seat harness - one connector. The only pain to reuse is the passenger side ocsm bladder, it’s well clipped in.

The airbags are easy to simply remove/omit with the resistors, but I kept the wiring harnesses with seat position sensor, etc. since it bundles up pretty easy under any seat.

Last edited:

H@mmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT w/ Too Many Mods
As others have said, you simply wire a 2 ohm resistor across the stock airbag plug.
Seat position sensor and seat belt plug is also needed.

Zcobra1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bert
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Ferrari 360, Viper GTS, C6-Z06, 70'Trans Am
Keep in mind that if you go to a seat only and keep stock belts, and the belts are still in the proper place around your bones, you are good. If you go to a seat that places the stock belts over your gut in case of impact, bad news....

If you run a race seat and harness belts only on the street, you better wear your helmet and HANS every time on the street, this no one I know does....I know people who run only harness on the street, and as they say, "loose", thinking it will help in an impact.
The vast majority of experts and track junkies recommend either go all out, harness/Hans,helmet of course, or stay with intact stock safety system. Stock belts stretch more in impact, work with your airbags to help to keep your neck from snapping, etc.

You strap yourself in with a harness on the street, your upper body does not go very far but that noggin of yours will keep moving.....and at a lot of G's....and if you think the airbag will save you, many believe it will snap your head back after your head moves forward, even worse.

No expert here, by any means, just have read up a lot from people a lot smarter than me and very experienced track junkies. Not preaching, just be careful on what decisions you make on changing safety equipment

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Keep in mind that if you go to a seat only and keep stock belts, and the belts are still in the proper place around your bones, you are good. If you go to a seat that places the stock belts over your gut in case of impact, bad news....

If you run a race seat and harness belts only on the street, you better wear your helmet and HANS every time on the street, this no one I know does....I know people who run only harness on the street, and as they say, "loose", thinking it will help in an impact.
The vast majority of experts and track junkies recommend either go all out, harness/Hans,helmet of course, or stay with intact stock safety system. Stock belts stretch more in impact, work with your airbags to help to keep your neck from snapping, etc.

You strap yourself in with a harness on the street, your upper body does not go very far but that noggin of yours will keep moving.....and at a lot of G's....and if you think the airbag will save you, many believe it will snap your head back after your head moves forward, even worse.

No expert here, by any means, just have read up a lot from people a lot smarter than me and very experienced track junkies. Not preaching, just be careful on what decisions you make on changing safety equipment
As a side note to this - anyone know if you can buy a spare OEM buckle? I run track seats for track days and occasionally have to drive to the track in them. My mounts have a place to bolt in a buckle.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
As a side note to this - anyone know if you can buy a spare OEM buckle? I run track seats for track days and occasionally have to drive to the track in them. My mounts have a place to bolt in a buckle.
I think you can get a seat belt extender fairly easily. I could swear someone on here even said the dealers give them away for free.

H@mmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT w/ Too Many Mods
If you have the stock seat, just pull the buckle off it. It's a single T47 (if I remember correctly). You'll then just need to buy an M8-10 (again, if I remember correctly) nut and you're good to go.
I have Planted mounts and I didn't even need an extended bolt. The stock bolt was just fine, along with the extra nut I bought at Tractor Supply.

OP
OP

nordique14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As others have said, you simply wire a 2 ohm resistor across the stock airbag plug.
Seat position sensor and seat belt plug is also needed.
Do you know the part numbers for these? I looked at the parts diagram but not sure what parts they would be.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I think you can get a seat belt extender fairly easily. I could swear someone on here even said the dealers give them away for free.
Really? Would be interested. I know you can buy them - but $120 is a bit steep https://parts.autonationfordwhitebe...9MjAxNyZ0PXNoZWxieS1ndDM1MCZlPTUtMmwtdjgtZ2Fz

If you have the stock seat, just pull the buckle off it. It's a single T47 (if I remember correctly). You'll then just need to buy an M8-10 (again, if I remember correctly) nut and you're good to go.
I have Planted mounts and I didn't even need an extended bolt. The stock bolt was just fine, along with the extra nut I bought at Tractor Supply.
I swap seats in and out frequent enough that this would be a bit of a pain. Was hoping to have 2 sets.
Sponsored