Sponsored

Anyone have wiring diagrams?

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hi guys, I’m chasing wiring diagrams for the cooling system specifically.
The car becomes ridiculously heatsoaked between passes at the strip in the Aussie summer, even after 2 hours of sitting around, hood up, it’s too much.
I’m thinking about rigging a switch to bring on the cooling fans without the engine running.
With the IC pump running, this should help to pull some of the heat out of the system between runs and maybe take some of the heat out of the engine compartment also.
Yes, an ice tank would be better yada yada.
Anyone?
Sponsored

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
I have mine setup so the intercooler fans and pump come on with a switch under the hood so I can run them between rounds. Just wired a switched power to their relay.

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have mine setup so the intercooler fans and pump come on with a switch under the hood so I can run them between rounds. Just wired a switched power to their relay.
That’s exactly what I’m trying to achieve. Where is the relay?
Damned if I can find the info online

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
Its the relay for the whipple intercooler pump, I did it when I installed the system 2yrs ago. I also wired two fans as I didnt want to pay the 400 for something you can do for 75. If i get a minute i will look at the diagram and check out how i did it.

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Its the relay for the whipple intercooler pump, I did it when I installed the system 2yrs ago. I also wired two fans as I didnt want to pay the 400 for something you can do for 75. If i get a minute i will look at the diagram and check out how i did it.
Hang on...I think we might be talking about two different things.
I’m trying to find the relay for the OEM radiator fans.
I have the larger HE, ergo, no heat exchanger fans as such.

Sponsored

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Hang on...I think we might be talking about two different things.
I’m trying to find the relay for the OEM radiator fans.
I have the larger HE, ergo, no heat exchanger fans as such.
The Owners Manual shows where the various relays are located (in the power distribution box). By powering the relay coil through a switch you will be backfeeding the PCM, may (or may not) cause issues. A better way is to power the fans through a separate relay controlled by a switch.

A place like WaytekWire or DelCity would have all the necessary parts (switches, fuse holders, relays and sockets).

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
The Owners Manual shows where the various relays are located (in the power distribution box). By powering the relay coil through a switch you will be backfeeding the PCM, may (or may not) cause issues. A better way is to power the fans through a separate relay controlled by a switch.

A place like WaytekWire or DelCity would have all the necessary parts (switches, fuse holders, relays and sockets).
I like the way you think.
I hadn’t even considered the impact of backfeed.
Thanks very much!

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
For those who might be interested, here’s the wiring diagram.
Seems that Ford wanted some good control of the fans.
From what I can make of it, they are able to run fan 1 alone, fan 2 alone, both fans in series (half speed) and both fans flat out.
47A7D183-A37E-478D-93C1-E72D1C9A3F4B.jpeg

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
And here’s my solution (open to better ideas of course).
Install 3 x change-over relays to isolate the fans completely from the normal operating system.
Use the NO contacts to introduce the constant supply on two of the relays, the third will change-over to a ground, taking the fan out of series, back into parallel.
Can anyone see an issue with my thinking?
A simpler method would be to focus on fan #2, only one change-over relay required that way.
The plan is to grab some stuff from the wreckers to create a plug n’ play type arrangement (no spliced wires here, all hidden, all factory looking as much as possible and easily returned to stock if the need ever arises.
6E458100-A347-4CE1-AB14-56C3AC9DF6B6.jpeg

Last edited:

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
And here’s my solution (open to better ideas of course).
Install 3 x change-over relays to isolate the fans completely from the normal operating system.
Use the NO contacts to introduce the constant supply on two of the relays, the third will change-over to a ground, taking the fan out of series, back into parallel.
Can anyone see an issue with my thinking?
A simpler method would be to focus on fan #2, only one change-over relay required that way.
The plan is to grab some stuff from the wreckers to create a plug n’ play type arrangement (no spliced wires here, all hidden, all factory looking as much as possible and easily returned to stock if the need ever arises.
6E458100-A347-4CE1-AB14-56C3AC9DF6B6.jpeg
Did you figure this our? I have an electric water pump I got with some other parts and was thinking about doing this as well. Just to be able to cool a little in the summer while staging.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Did you figure this our? I have an electric water pump I got with some other parts and was thinking about doing this as well. Just to be able to cool a little in the summer while staging.
Yes, that system works just fine.
There might be a smarter way of doing it though.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
On a side note, where did you get the diagram? I've purchased the 72 hour subscription from Ford and downloaded tons of pdf's of removal and installation of parts and assemblies but couldn't find wiring diagrams anywhere.

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
On a side note, where did you get the diagram? I've purchased the 72 hour subscription from Ford and downloaded tons of pdf's of removal and installation of parts and assemblies but couldn't find wiring diagrams anywhere.
I bought a digital version of the full Ford workshop manual. I don’t recall the specific page sorry. Nor can I find the digital manual….…D’oh.
If I recall correctly, there’s an entire section dedicated to wiring diagrams/schematics.
Was there something specific you were trying to work out?

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I bought a digital version of the full Ford workshop manual. I don’t recall the specific page sorry. Nor can I find the digital manual….…D’oh.
If I recall correctly, there’s an entire section dedicated to wiring diagrams/schematics.
Was there something specific you were trying to work out?

There's tons of stuff from time to time. Like locating the best ignition on source near the FPDM (I'm finishing up my fuel system install). I've been told to use the yellow wire with brown stripe.

How much did the electronic manual cost you?

I'm doing an audio upgrade next and I just ran into an issue with used seats where the seat belt harness was clipped (and I had a 50/50 shot at wiring it correct or wrong). So I just did black wire to black wire and red wire to vehicle colored wire. We'll see if it gives me issues.

Anyway, interesting thread. I'm smart enough to grasp all the electrical components and theory but I'll admit, it's a bit overwhelming for most of us who don't do it all the time. Diagrams help.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Are you running the stock size battery? I wouldn’t think it would hold up very well
Sponsored