Sponsored

Anyone get an occasional rough idle when the car is hot and on e85?

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
If not many people are using E85....especially in the winter...the fuel could be sitting in the station's underground tanks for a long time. I am not sure if that would make a difference or not. It will not test quality but an ethanol tester for around $15 is very accurate and useful if you want to know the ethanol percentage.
Sponsored

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
If not many people are using E85....especially in the winter...the fuel could be sitting in the station's underground tanks for a long time. I am not sure if that would make a difference or not. It will not test quality but an ethanol tester for around $15 is very accurate and useful if you want to know the ethanol percentage.
Yeah honestly up until now, I have not felt the need to test it. Test kit is on the way.

I’m wondering if you can even do a flex fuel tune on SCT BDX? Most tuners are using the Ngauge for that.

Confuzed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kip
Vehicle(s)
2018 a10
Tuner recommended to run additive with E so used lucas injector cleaner/ top end lube. Just a few oz in every other tank or so. Our E stays around 70% year round. This just started happening since it started getting warm around here, hi 80s. iats running around 90-100. Every time I try to datalog it, it runs fine. lol

Confuzed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kip
Vehicle(s)
2018 a10
Yeah honestly up until now, I have not felt the need to test it. Test kit is on the way.

I’m wondering if you can even do a flex fuel tune on SCT BDX? Most tuners are using the Ngauge for that.
ive got sct x4

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Tuner recommended to run additive with E so used lucas injector cleaner/ top end lube. Just a few oz in every other tank or so. Our E stays around 70% year round. This just started happening since it started getting warm around here, hi 80s. iats running around 90-100. Every time I try to datalog it, it runs fine. lol
Well I got about 3-4 tanks of bad E I guess? After switching back to 93 the stock and 93P tunes run perfectly normal. No surging nor idle movements. My wot logs on the crap E still looked good though?

I have used lucas UCL and Ethanol safe in the car. Fyi.

Sponsored

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
I suspect winter blend E85 is not a great match for an E85 tune. It is also possible that E85 is a slow seller in winter and you were getting fuel that was a bit stale. I look forward to hearing how it runs when you fill with it again. Hopefully, no issues.

Last edited:

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I suspect winter blend E85 is not a great match for an E85 tune. It is also possible that E85 is a slow seller in winter and you were getting fuel that was a bit stale. I look forward to hearing how ot runs when you fill with it again. Hopefully, no issues.
It is strange it took until February before any of this stalling started happening. My stations say E70 minimum on the pump. No kidding, I hate when my stuff does not run right.

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I still have been getting this issue but the check engine light has not come back on.

Basic summary of what has happened so far :

Occasional temporary (5 sec) rough idle and stalling then check engine light came on p0030 on e85 tune. Switched back to 93 octane and issue was still present, returned the car to the stock tune and kept driving until the light came on again in a few hundred miles. Took the car in and and they did the o2 sensor replacement, then on my drive back home the shop the car stumbled and died on the stock tune on pure 93 octane with the new o2 sensor -no code thrown. It hasnt died again since and the light still has not come back on and its been about a month and a half. I kept the stock tune on there and it was still stumbling occasionally but the light never came back on. I figured since the issue happened again after the o2 sensor replacement on the stock tune and I had been driving for a while waiting for the light to come on I may as well run e85 until it comes back on. So Ive been back on e85 for about 1k miles and it still stumbles at idle occasionally but hasnt stalled again yet and the light hasnt come back on yet. So I dont know what to do.

Just wondering if anyone has had similar issues and resolved them in some way other than an o2 sensor?

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
I have had no problems on E85 but I am curious. If after the 02 replacement the car still stumbled and died, why not go back to the shop and let them know that the issue was not fixed?

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I still have been getting this issue but the check engine light has not come back on.

Basic summary of what has happened so far :

Occasional temporary (5 sec) rough idle and stalling then check engine light came on p0030 on e85 tune. Switched back to 93 octane and issue was still present, returned the car to the stock tune and kept driving until the light came on again in a few hundred miles. Took the car in and and they did the o2 sensor replacement, then on my drive back home the shop the car stumbled and died on the stock tune on pure 93 octane with the new o2 sensor -no code thrown. It hasnt died again since and the light still has not come back on and its been about a month and a half. I kept the stock tune on there and it was still stumbling occasionally but the light never came back on. I figured since the issue happened again after the o2 sensor replacement on the stock tune and I had been driving for a while waiting for the light to come on I may as well run e85 until it comes back on. So Ive been back on e85 for about 1k miles and it still stumbles at idle occasionally but hasnt stalled again yet and the light hasnt come back on yet. So I dont know what to do.

Just wondering if anyone has had similar issues and resolved them in some way other than an o2 sensor?
Yes.

My car finally popped a P0600 and P27b5 code under wot with wrench light. Had to erase codes in order to drive car. Mine is doing same thing as yours Andy.

Had Autozone check battery and it failed 4 out of 6 times voltage regulator. Taking it in next week. They can keep the car until they sort it out. I notice once the car is warm and sitting at idle is when these issues appear. Higher under hood temps. So imo it is a power (lack of) issue in my case...?

Mine will stumble and occasionally die on stock 93 and tuned E.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Sounds very similar or exactly the same as mine Zinc, but the code I got was different. Odd.

I have had no problems on E85 but I am curious. If after the 02 replacement the car still stumbled and died, why not go back to the shop and let them know that the issue was not fixed?
I called them, the code did not come on, and the o2 sensors were backordered anyway so I figured the code was going to come on soon and maybe the issue was a different sensor or something. The o2 sensors are still backordered from what ive heard from my advisor but its been like 2 months. I am surprised my code hasnt come back on again.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Sounds very similar or exactly the same as mine Zinc, but the code I got was different. Odd.

I called them, the code did not come on, and the o2 sensors were backordered anyway so I figured the code was going to come on soon and maybe the issue was a different sensor or something. The o2 sensors are still backordered from what ive heard from my advisor but its been like 2 months. I am surprised my code hasnt come back on again.
My voltage gauge jumps around a lot while driving 12.1-14.9 volts. My code shows loss of communication between systems. But, it took max load @ 130 mph to trip it. Again that spells a power issue to me on my car. But, the idle stumble and stall issues sound identical.

Have you tested your battery and or alternator yet?

Confuzed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kip
Vehicle(s)
2018 a10
Has anyone caught the problem with data-logger? I did and mine shows the “actual throttle angle” pip voltage value and it jumps all over place for a couple of seconds then clears up. I’ll double check tonight for name of it.
But the voltage jumped around for a couple of seconds then was fine again.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Has anyone caught the problem with data-logger? I did and mine shows the “actual throttle angle” pip voltage value and it jumps all over place for a couple of seconds then clears up. I’ll double check tonight for name of it.
But the voltage jumped around for a couple of seconds then was fine again.
Yes. I sent logs to tuner and he said trims look fine. It is not the tuning because it does same thing on stock calibration. My voltage is doing same thing which leads me to believe it is power issue somewhere. Plus it failed 4 out of 6 tests voltage regulator @ Autozone.

Confuzed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kip
Vehicle(s)
2018 a10
I don’t know how to post a log but this also happened on stock tune, e85 tune, and flex tune.
It’s “throttle angle actual “ it jumped from 1.6 to 5.7 to .10 all in about 10 seconds.
Sponsored