Sponsored

Anyone get an occasional rough idle when the car is hot and on e85?

Confuzed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kip
Vehicle(s)
2018 a10
Ttt just curious if anyone else has run across and figured it out. Mine has stumbled at idle and on occasion has died after coming to a stop. Crank right up and drives fine. It’s done it on flex tune and dedicated E tune. Frustrating.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Ttt just curious if anyone else has run across and figured it out. Mine has stumbled at idle and on occasion has died after coming to a stop. Crank right up and drives fine. It’s done it on flex tune and dedicated E tune. Frustrating.
I eventually got code p0030 which was for an o2 sensor, so I switched back to stock tune and took it to the dealer after the light came back on even on 93 octane. Got that sensor replaced but then on the drive back home after replacement it did the same thing and stumbled and turned off at a redlight after a spirited drive. Code hasnt come back on yet but its doing it even on 93 octane stock tune for me now.

Stock exhaust. Stock everything except I have a k&n filter and a catch can.

Last edited:

Confuzed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kip
Vehicle(s)
2018 a10
I eventually got code p0030 which was for an o2 sensor so I switched back to stock tune and took it to the dealer after the light came back on even on 93 octane. Got that sensor replaced but then on the drive back home after replacement it did the same thing and stumbled and turned off at a redlight after a spirited drive. Code hasnt come back on yet but its doing it even on 93 octane stock tune for me now.

Stock exhaust. Stock everything except I have a k&n filter and a catch can.
Well that sucks Mine hasn’t thrown a code yet. I’ve been on E pretty much since I bought car new. 3700 miles on it now. Just filled with 93 on flex tune so we’ll see.

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I have been running that since late last October. Every 2-3 tanks. Initially I was beginning to wonder if that product (Ethanol Safe) might be causing my problems...? The idle went to shit after last fill up though.
I had used some of this when I was running e85, IDK if it caused the problem or if that just happens to be a conincidence. Not even sure what the real problem is. I am hoping I will get a code again within a few days.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I had used some of this when I was running e85, IDK if it caused the problem or if that just happens to be a conincidence. Not even sure what the real problem is. I am hoping I will get a code again within a few days.
I have never tested that specific product, but I have tested other stuff from Lucas in the past. We often had issues proving that their products were actually doing much, but that was long ago. They may have stepped things up in the last 7-8 years. The product mentions corrosion inhibitors, which you really don't want in an additive. Ethanol fuel is loaded with corrosion inhibitors, and that directly increases intake valve deposits. Personally, I run straight detergent. There isn't anything else you need.

Sponsored

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Well my tuner and I tried bumping the idle up and that did not work. Back to stock. It did die one time on way back home. Going to drive it 20-30 miles on this 93 and get it into Ford. No lights nor codes...?

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Well that sucks Mine hasn’t thrown a code yet. I’ve been on E pretty much since I bought car new. 3700 miles on it now. Just filled with 93 on flex tune so we’ll see.
Same here. Been on corn for almost 5k miles. It appears that Andy, you, and me have a similiar problem. Wonder if it might be the throttle body acting up at idle?

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Same here. Been on corn for almost 5k miles. It appears that Andy, you, and me have a similiar problem. Wonder if it might be the throttle body acting up at idle?
I am at around 3k on E85. Still no issues, other than some hard starts when the weather was cold. It will be interesting to see if I have similar problems in the next 2k miles. I haven't even run the occasional 93 oct tank that others have.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
I have a flex tune and have only run E85 for a short time. The only thing I notice other than OMG-power is a tiny bit of surging when the engine is cold. Idle quality is fine but the slight surging is noticeable when driving slowly in my residential neighborhood after a cold start. That goes away when it warms up. For those who are having issues after a few thousand miles, would it make sense to run a tank of 93 along with a can of fuel injector cleaner or some other additive?

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I am at around 3k on E85. Still no issues, other than some hard starts when the weather was cold. It will be interesting to see if I have similar problems in the next 2k miles. I haven't even run the occasional 93 oct tank that others have.
I ran one tank 93 in 5k miles of corn.

Sponsored

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I have a flex tune and have only run E85 for a short time. The only thing I notice other than OMG-power is a tiny bit of surging when the engine is cold. Idle quality is fine but the slight surging is noticeable when driving slowly in my residential neighborhood after a cold start. That goes away when it warms up. For those who are having issues after a few thousand miles, would it make sense to run a tank of 93 along with a can of fuel injector cleaner or some other additive?
Yeah I’m back to stock as of yesterday. Want to run a couple tanks of 93 top tier through it. Skipping the additives. Less is probably more in finding out what the hell is up? Crazy this is happening to e85 tuned cars though. Different tuners too.

VikingJoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
My car surges from time to time, warm, cold, inbetween. I figured it came with the territory. I also get a random pop from time to time when decelerating in gear ever since I went catless.

With that said, the surges I get are minor and not an issue. Once I press the gas it goes away. I test my E every time so I don't think it has to do with the percentage, at least for me, since I have never had anything less than 85% in the car.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Quick update. Yesterday on stock tune car started up and idled in and out of gear normally. Let it run for about 15 minutes. Beginning to think it was just shit E85. ??

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Quick update. Yesterday on stock tune car started up and idled in and out of gear normally. Let it run for about 15 minutes. Beginning to think it was just shit E85. ??
Could happen. EtOH is generally well regulated now, but they can't do much to control it once it leaves the terminal.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Could happen. EtOH is generally well regulated now, but they can't do much to control it once it leaves the terminal.
True, and I think we still have some winter blend sitting at the pumps. Crazy the car ran normal with some slight surging for 7 mos without stalling @ idle on E85. All of a sudden Feb it starts. Zero dtc or engine lights?
Sponsored