Sponsored

Anyone driven a ZL1?

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Everyone on the Camaro Forum is full of shit.

In Motortrend ran a 1LE here...

to a [email protected].

Every publicized time out there puts either the ET or MPH right on par with the stock SS. If downforce or friction was a factor, it would show up with a reduction in MPH...which isn't the case. There is no difference in the 1/4 mile, don't let anyone BS you.
Are you saying that tire width (and thus, friction) doesn't affect ET or MPH?

Fact of the matter is, if the front wheels were narrower you'd have a faster time. That's the whole point of people running skinnies. You reduce rolling resistance, lighter weight, rotating inertia, and air resistance. That applies to literally every vehicle out there.

The PP2 will get assistance for the launch with wider and stickier rear tires, but then lose out on top end because of the same stickier tires and the massive fronts.
Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Are you saying that tire width (and thus, friction) doesn't affect ET or MPH?

Fact of the matter is, if the front wheels were narrower you'd have a faster time. That's the whole point of people running skinnies. You reduce rolling resistance, lighter weight, rotating inertia, and air resistance. That applies to literally every vehicle out there.

The PP2 will get assistance for the launch with wider and stickier rear tires, but then lose out on top end because of the same stickier tires and the massive fronts.
Nope, I'm saying the 1LE front tire is only marginally larger than the SS when it comes to straight line friction and rolling resistance. Drag skinnies offer a tiny contact patch compared to a standard radial tire and shed a good 45lbs or more off the front end of the vehicle. Totally different ballpark.

All of the 1/4 mile test show the 1LE running the same times as the SS with the same trap speeds.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
Nope, I'm saying the 1LE front tire is only marginally larger than the SS when it comes to straight line friction and rolling resistance. Drag skinnies offer a tiny contact patch compared to a standard radial tire and shed a good 45lbs or more off the front end of the vehicle. Totally different ballpark.

All of the 1/4 mile test show the 1LE running the same times as the SS with the same trap speeds.
Motortrend regular manual ss tests shows 1/10th of a second faster 0-60 and quarter mile times compared to the 1le. As long as the car hooks up whatever rear tire width you have it doesn’t matter! Besides the 1le tires take some time to warm up. Tests and Physics show the regular 1ss is faster than a 1le in the straight line. This will be case for a regular mustang gt vs pp2! Its not also just the wheel with but the aero and downforce provided by the spoilers and splitters increase the normal force to the ground resulting again more friction.

Camaro is not the only example here. Corvette ZO6 vs ZO6 w/ ZO7 package, Viper vs Viper ACR, C7 vs C7 Grandsport, ZL1 vs ZL11le and list goes on. Some of them may also have different gearing but they sacrifice some acceleration and top speed for better balance and cornering acceleration abilities!

Last edited:

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Motortrend regular manual ss tests shows 1/10th of a second faster 0-60 and quarter mile times compared to the 1le. As long as the car hooks up whatever rear tire width you have it doesn’t matter! Besides the 1le tires take some time to warm up. Tests and Physics show the regular 1ss is faster than a 1le in the straight line. This will be case for a regular mustang gt vs pp2! Its not also just the wheel with but the aero and downforce provided by the spoilers and splitters increase the normal force to the ground resulting again more friction.

Camaro is not the only example here. Corvette ZO6 vs ZO6 w/ ZO7 package, Viper vs Viper ACR, C7 vs C7 Grandsport, ZL1 vs ZL11le and list goes on. Some of them may also have different gearing but they sacrifice some acceleration and top speed for better balance and cornering acceleration abilities!
Not only have they not tested them on the same day, but the latest 1LE tested trapped higher than any M6SS. 0.1 seconds is noise in these tests.

Point in case, Car and driver tested the A8 SS to a 12.3@116mph. Their tests of the SS 1LE came out to a 12.4@116mph. By your inference, the non-1LE SS must run equally as fast as the A8.

What you don't seem to understand is that because you spend more time at the front end of the 1/4 mile, your traction and acceleration off the line is more important than the difference in drag and friction coefficients. Have you ever heard of the age old rule of 0.1 second reduction in 60' equates to 0.2 second reduction in overall ET?

Your "Tests and Physics" comment is garbage. Tests have shown the 1LE to be both faster and slower than the base SS, and the physics are far more involved than blanket statements about downforce. Hell, most of the 1/4 mile MPH's show the 1LE to be on par or going FASTER...eluding to downforce not coming in to play at those speeds.

tyler2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt
I don't know much on down force or any of that but I'd have to imagine once you get to the higher speeds it could have some affect, I think the biggest thing between the 2 cars on the mile race is the gearing not down force or because of the wider tires

Sponsored

jbuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
back to the OP.

Yes, I have driven the ZL1, it was the reason why I bought my car. A friend bought one and let me take it out for a while. That thing is a beast. I was instantly corrupted and "Needed" a fast car, so I set out shopping. I was working with a pretty strict budget and that helped me a lot, since it ruled out all the higher optioned cars.

I ended up with a pretty Base GT with the 10spd. I will drive them again back to back, but I don't think there was much difference between the two other then my car being down significantly in power.

OP
OP
howlins550

howlins550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT PP1, 401A, 10R80, Magneride, Active exhaust, Oxford White
back to the OP.

Yes, I have driven the ZL1, it was the reason why I bought my car. A friend bought one and let me take it out for a while. That thing is a beast. I was instantly corrupted and "Needed" a fast car, so I set out shopping. I was working with a pretty strict budget and that helped me a lot, since it ruled out all the higher optioned cars.

I ended up with a pretty Base GT with the 10spd. I will drive them again back to back, but I don't think there was much difference between the two other then my car being down significantly in power.
That's what I'm looking for, thank you! Compared the gear ratios And they are about dead even but haven't driven the mustangs auto hard enough to tell if it's as good

Zebra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 GT500
I'm curious how the A10 performance shifting kicks in and what functions are there.

In the Camaro you can blip the throttle and the RPMs hold around 4,500. Or hold the left paddle or shifter back for 3 sec and it drops to the lowest gear. @ 80mpg running in 10th gear it will drop to 3rd gear and ~6K rpm

svtfever

ALEX
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTPP1
I'm curious how the A10 performance shifting kicks in and what functions are there.

In the Camaro you can blip the throttle and the RPMs hold around 4,500. Or hold the left paddle or shifter back for 3 sec and it drops to the lowest gear. @ 80mpg running in 10th gear it will drop to 3rd gear and ~6K rpm
does the A10 mustang do this too? I have driven a few ZL1s. They are fun

jbuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
does the A10 mustang do this too? I have driven a few ZL1s. They are fun
No. I tried today.

Edit:

I tried to hold the left paddle down and it won't drop into any of their gear then the next lower gear.

You can blip the throttle in auto and it will down shift into a lower gear around 4500 rpm.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Zebra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 GT500
No. I tried today.

Edit:

I tried to hold the left paddle down and it won't drop into any of their gear then the next lower gear.

You can blip the throttle in auto and it will down shift into a lower gear around 4500 rpm.
Note: you have to lift your foot off the throttle when you do it or it won't drop down. Might give it one more try.

Childs Play

But Wait! There's More!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Shitbox
back to the OP.

Either way you go I don't think you can lose. The A10 seems to be an amazing transmission all around no matter what it's being dropped in. And you can always add power later if you want on the GT.

GM is slowly catching up with their refresh and getting rid of the trash that was the A8 in the SS. I didn't look into it but for some reason I was thinking they weren't putting the A10 in the lower end models. Huge mistake imo if that's actually the case. (It may not be. I just am too lazy to go research it further.)

Every single person that I know who's bought a 6th gen with the A8 has had problems. EVERYONE. I4,V6,V8. Doesn't matter. The transmission is an absolute stale turd. So much so that it has prompted a direct question over on Camaro6 to Al O. The Camaro team is supposed to respond to it. We'll see how that works out.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Either way you go I don't think you can lose. The A10 seems to be an amazing transmission all around no matter what it's being dropped in. And you can always add power later if you want on the GT.

GM is slowly catching up with their refresh and getting rid of the trash that was the A8 in the SS. I didn't look into it but for some reason I was thinking they weren't putting the A10 in the lower end models. Huge mistake imo if that's actually the case. (It may not be. I just am too lazy to go research it further.)

Every single person that I know who's bought a 6th gen with the A8 has had problems. EVERYONE. I4,V6,V8. Doesn't matter. The transmission is an absolute stale turd. So much so that it has prompted a direct question over on Camaro6 to Al O. The Camaro team is supposed to respond to it. We'll see how that works out.

You and I will have to meet so that you can update your stats. Bought my 2SS vert with A8 Jan 31, 2017. Got a touch over 12k on the car, including a couple track days. ZERO issues. Zilch. Zip. Nada.

Childs Play

But Wait! There's More!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Shitbox
You and I will have to meet so that you can update your stats. Bought my 2SS vert with A8 Jan 31, 2017. Got a touch over 12k on the car, including a couple track days. ZERO issues. Zilch. Zip. Nada.
Haha. Alright then. check one for the A8 then. ;)

But really... Overall I feel the A8 is a turd. However, that comes from someone who hasn't owned a vehicle with one. So I have no dog in the fight outside of feedback from local friends who've bought them.

I'm sure there's MANY examples out there when the trans has been buttery smooth. Since I've seen nothing but issues however, my perception is a bit skewed.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
Not only have they not tested them on the same day, but the latest 1LE tested trapped higher than any M6SS. 0.1 seconds is noise in these tests.

Point in case, Car and driver tested the A8 SS to a 12.3@116mph. Their tests of the SS 1LE came out to a 12.4@116mph. By your inference, the non-1LE SS must run equally as fast as the A8.

What you don't seem to understand is that because you spend more time at the front end of the 1/4 mile, your traction and acceleration off the line is more important than the difference in drag and friction coefficients. Have you ever heard of the age old rule of 0.1 second reduction in 60' equates to 0.2 second reduction in overall ET?

Your "Tests and Physics" comment is garbage. Tests have shown the 1LE to be both faster and slower than the base SS, and the physics are far more involved than blanket statements about downforce. Hell, most of the 1/4 mile MPH's show the 1LE to be on par or going FASTER...eluding to downforce not coming in to play at those speeds.
Lol ok! Considering you can go triple digit speeds in a quarter mile and drag is directly proportional to the velocity square, it totally makes sense that quarter mile time is not affected by it ;)
Sponsored