Sponsored

Has anyone driven a Jaguar F Type S V8 convertible?

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I have a 2018 Mustang GT convertible with the A10. In general, I think it's a real nice car. Ride is decent, handling is very good for it's size, performance is nice, but a bit weak on the low end. But, it's much bigger and heavier than what I am used to (Porsche 911 and a few other sports cars). I have been looking at reviews and specs for the Jaguar F Type S V8 convertible, which seems more like what I am used to. The trouble is, there are none around here to test drive. I'm wondering if anyone has driven one and can compare it to a Mustang GT?
Sponsored

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Thread revival!

I test drove a Salsa Red F-Type S drop top before I bought my Mustang. It Definitely made all the right sounds, had the fit/finish/detailing and was sexy AF.

However I was not convinced. The weight is actually the same and I know for a fact that the aftermarket is way more robust for the Mustang than F-Type.
Coming from my 4th Acura I wanted more power for my motorsports addiction. My 3G TL ticked all the boxes but the 5G was better looking but slow. tsk tsk.
Another thing that bugged me was for a car that seemed smaller, why was it so damn heavy? I also wasn't totally convinced of the handling characteristics.
Both were probably due to the droptop but at the time it was the only body style available.

The designer is me wanted the Jag (It's bloody gorgeous).

The accountant in me wanted the Mustang (F-Type brand new was 120K)

The racer in me wanted the Mustang.

In the end I look at a sportscar/muscle car/fun car from the fun it will give me on track. The Mustang has a proven heritage in that respect. The F-Type was
a new kid on the block at the time. I do a ton of HPDE events, used to do a lot of auto-x and currently a driver coach for the SCCA Track Night program.

HOWEVER, if you are a casual driver that may do some canyon carving and not into serious driving then take the F-Type. It's sooo easy on the eyes... but pricey.

Just my .02

OP
OP
Balr14

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Thanks for your response. I was finally able to drive a used F Type R... same engine but AWD. The power and response are great, especially the low-end! It is definitely more nimble than my GT convertible. And as you said, it's gorgeous! F-Types drop a lot in value very quickly, so you can find a low mileage one for far less than you would think. I seriously considered buying one, but after spending some time in their online forums, I decided against it. Too many incidents of odd failures and few dealers in my area. I think a Viper would probably be more to my liking.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
A couple friends have vipers. Both are the last gen. Beautiful cars. One of them is an ACR, amazing machine!

OP
OP
Balr14

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I was looking at a 2005 or 2006 model. They are low-tech so maintenance and repair costs are low.

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Driven one in the UK - looks nice but the exhaust NEVER shuts up (which is nice for a while but then just gets a bit embarrassing and irritating), and the ride is poor compared to a Mustang on Magneride.

OP
OP
Balr14

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Driven one in the UK - looks nice but the exhaust NEVER shuts up (which is nice for a while but then just gets a bit embarrassing and irritating), and the ride is poor compared to a Mustang on Magneride.
I am hearing impaired, so the exhaust sound isn't a huge issue for me. I can hear it, but not well enough to be bothered. But, it is good to know it's that bad. I try to be considerate of others.

Magneride has to be one of GMs most successful innovations. Lots of car manufacturers use it now. My experience with it is while it works great, it doesn't hold up as well as conventional shocks/struts and costs a lot to replace.
Sponsored