Anybody do their own alignments?

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
I just purchased my GT350 recently. I was curious if people just generally take their cars somewhere, or whether they perform alignments themselves. If so, what methods are used?

I remember my dad had some setup with strings when I was a little kid.
Back in the day when vehicle wheel alignments were just the front wheels, you could get away with some stuff; buying a bubble gauge to check camber and using "string" to check toe. Today's cars are much more sophisticated and they just about all require 4 wheel alignments. The Mustang has independent rear axle so it too has adjustments for camber and toe probably. The biggest thing with 4 wheel alignment is getting the tracking or thrust angle correct between front and rear wheels (you don't want you car looking like it's running crabwise down the road though that was most common on rear leaf spring cars that broke the pin in the leaf spring so one side of the axle shifted forward or back).

With all the "stuff" in the car for stability controls, etc. I would let a professional alignment shop do it. You know you have a steering wheel position sensor that works in concert with the stability system. Get that wrong and it will affect how it drives/operates, among other things.
Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
With all the "stuff" in the car for stability controls, etc. I would let a professional alignment shop do it. You know you have a steering wheel position sensor that works in concert with the stability system. Get that wrong and it will affect how it drives/operates, among other things.
You haven't really read this thread, have you ?

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
You haven't really read this thread, have you ?
LOL…you beat me to it. I love the term “professionals”. To blanket imply someone knows what they’re doing and could be better than me on any given day because they do it for a living is ludicrous.

Basspro302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
But what you don't know is how careful the alignment tech was in setting up. The machine may be dead-nuts on (if set up and calibrated properly), but the print-out can't be any better than the sloppiest error source in the process - that being the human setting up your car and hanging the targets.

The numbers are almost meaningless unless you know that everything that went into obtaining them was done carefully and properly.

Norm
Its really hard to screw up the measurements. The only issues ive had are checking the rack making sure its level and some dick head didn’t lock the plates and crushed the ceramic ball bearings under the plates.

It’s tough finding a good shop if you do don’t expect to pay 49.95 for a 4 wheel alignment. Please for the love of god put your parts on correctly.
Im not saying you can’t do a good alignment without a hawk eye. Just make sure you are on level ground.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Next I'll check the rear toe using the same toe plates. I'll also check the thrust angle using a laser pointer on the straight edge on the rim lip, shooting to the front where I put a steel ruler against the center of the hub of the front wheel. If the reading is different from one side to the other, the thrust angle is off. Adjust the toe until they match and the toe in is where you want it.
@Gearz question about your method. I have the Longacre toe plates. I understand zeroing the rear thrust angle by comparing and adjusting the toe links for equal distance at each front hub to the laser line.

Do you attach something like a 2' level to the rim as a straight edge support for the laser? Or just hold the laser pointer up against TCD of the rim? Or ...?

Cheap laser pointers do not have the beam aligned with the body of the device. What pointer do you have?

Sponsored

Gearz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
@Gearz question about your method. I have the Longacre toe plates. I understand zeroing the rear thrust angle by comparing and adjusting the toe links for equal distance at each front hub to the laser line.

Do you attach something like a 2' level to the rim as a straight edge support for the laser? Or just hold the laser pointer up against TCD of the rim? Or ...?

Cheap laser pointers do not have the beam aligned with the body of the device. What pointer do you have?
I use a 2' level that has a laser on one end. I've had it for years so I don't remember where I bought it but it's similar to this one. I put it on top of the toe plate or have a helper hold it against the rim and aim it at the ruler that is held against the front hub at the center.

I've checked the accuracy by flipping the level vertically and the dot is in the same spot so the laser is parallel to the edge as close as I can see within the wheelbase length.

I also will take the car to a local shop that has good alignment equipment to make sure my measurements aren't way off. So far, no surprises. It's just that messing with the rear camber/toe is such a pain since one affects the other so much it's good to have that assurance that it's correct.

lunatect

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Its really hard to screw up the measurements. The only issues ive had are checking the rack making sure its level and some dick head didn’t lock the plates and crushed the ceramic ball bearings under the plates.

It’s tough finding a good shop if you do don’t expect to pay 49.95 for a 4 wheel alignment. Please for the love of god put your parts on correctly.
Im not saying you can’t do a good alignment without a hawk eye. Just make sure you are on level ground.
Yep, $49.95 won't pay for a correct 4 wheel alignment. lol
Sponsored