Sponsored

Anybody buying this media fueled COVID-19 bull schitt?

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
1100 people have died in Italy in the last 48hrs, critical health care is just about failing if not already failed, I hope you guys are safe over there. Wash your hands, don't touch your face
Sponsored

SpArKy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
The guys in this thread who don't see the big deal are bonkers. Its twice as infectious as flu. That doesn't sound that much but it makes a huge difference.

Meaning regardless of the death rate it means it spreads extremely quickly so way way way more ppl will get it very quickly. In the UK they reckon 80% of population if left unchecked.

Worse still it is at it's most infectious for around a week or so before symptoms even show so u have no idea you're even spreading it around.

The death rates in italy are despite it going into a complete lockdown really early. Had they not locked it down god knows what the deaths would be.

Stay safe and don't hoard bog roll. Quick tip, hit up the restaurant toiletry suppliers, they won't b shipping their bogroll anywhere soon

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The multi billion dollar company I work for has shut down nearly 100% of operations due to this virus.

In the matter of a few weeks.

Think about that.

I’ll feel blessed if I have a job to return to after this clears.

I hope everyone who thinks it’s “no big deal” doesn’t face what myself and thousands of others are about to deal with from a career perspective. Even if my job makes it, I will likely have staff that won’t and that’s a hard pill to swallow.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
This thread is aging like milk. Italy's health care system is currently overwhelmed. California's governor has imposed a shelter-in-place to prevent the health care system in our state from also being overwhelmed. The only way to do that is to prevent that from happening.

China barred the doors of its Wuhan residents, making residents prisoners of their own apartments. Italy has quarantine its entire country. The entire state of California has enacted shelter-in-place. Now New York is doing the same. You're absolutely insane if you think these countries, and state's are over-reacting.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
This thread is aging like milk. Italy's health care system is currently overwhelmed. California's governor has imposed a shelter-in-place to prevent the health care system in our state from also being overwhelmed. The only way to do that is to prevent that from happening.

China barred the doors of its Wuhan residents, making residents prisoners of their own apartments. Italy has quarantine its entire country. The entire state of California has enacted shelter-in-place. Now New York is doing the same. You're absolutely insane if you think these countries, and state's are over-reacting.
Barred the doors of their own citizens? Holy shit. That’s a disaster waiting to happen.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
i can't help but think rather than shutting everything down wiping out jobs and industry at a stroke that instead we should protect the old / infirm with the self isolation and the rest of us that are in the "should survive quite easily group", we should all go out and get it as soon as possible, get recovered at home and then the herd immunity protects the self isolators when they come out from hiding.

You know when one of the kids in the street gets chicken pox and every parent sent their kids round to get it. Not sure if that's a good idea or would just put everybody in a sick bed :( Economically it's going to break most countries as we shut down everything and every business.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
i can't help but think rather than shutting everything down wiping out jobs and industry at a stroke that instead we should protect the old / infirm with the self isolation and the rest of us that are in the "should survive quite easily group", we should all go out and get it as soon as possible, get recovered at home and then the herd immunity protects the self isolators when they come out from hiding.

You know when one of the kids in the street gets chicken pox and every parent sent their kids round to get it. Not sure if that's a good idea or would just put everybody in a sick bed :( Economically it's going to break most countries as we shut down everything and every business.
The problem is our medical infrastructure couldn’t handle the amount of treatment required for more serious cases when people begin to have respiratory distress and need to be placed on a ventilator just to survive. Ford, GM and Tesla to name a few are looking to produce ventilators despite vehicle production being shut down.

Actually quite the opposite. They acted quickly and decisively. Many lives have been saved because of this.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00741-x

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffmc...a-just-from-pollution-reduction/#67aae80e34fe
Very interesting.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Barred the doors of their own citizens? Holy shit. That’s a disaster waiting to happen.
That apartment complex had doors that opened out so it was very simple to chain the doors from the outside and they would be trapped. When asked what they were to do in a fire, and basically the response was: Don't have a fire.
Actually quite the opposite. They acted quickly and decisively. Many lives have been saved because of this.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00741-x

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffmc...a-just-from-pollution-reduction/#67aae80e34fe
Sure, they were decisive. Not before they tried to gag the doctor who first discovered it and posted it to a doctors chat room, and then threatened him with punishment if he continued spreading "lies".
Once it became so serious they could no longer ignore/hide it, they took extreme measures to curb it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51364382

and the video of the authorities barring the doors in resident complexes

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
That apartment complex had doors that opened out so it was very simple to chain the doors from the outside and they would be trapped. When asked what they were to do in a fire, and basically the response was: Don't have a fire.

Sure, they were decisive. Not before they tried to gag the doctor who first discovered it and posted it to a doctors chat room, and then threatened him with punishment if he continued spreading "lies".
Once it became so serious they could no longer ignore/hide it, they took extreme measures to curb it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51364382

and the video of the authorities barring the doors in resident complexes
That’s one of the more terrifying real things I’ve ever seen. Literally, the message was “take precaution to not have an accident and if you do ‘contact your contact’ so they can let you out”.. what the hell...

Sponsored

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
The guys in this thread who don't see the big deal are bonkers. Its twice as infectious as flu. That doesn't sound that much but it makes a huge difference.

Meaning regardless of the death rate it means it spreads extremely quickly so way way way more ppl will get it very quickly. In the UK they reckon 80% of population if left unchecked.

Worse still it is at it's most infectious for around a week or so before symptoms even show so u have no idea you're even spreading it around.

The death rates in italy are despite it going into a complete lockdown really early. Had they not locked it down god knows what the deaths would be.

Stay safe and don't hoard bog roll. Quick tip, hit up the restaurant toiletry suppliers, they won't b shipping their bogroll anywhere soon

Again, no one is denying it is more contagious than the flu (although it might not be since we have had years to develop resistance/flu shots).

No one is also denying it is more dangerous. Current mortality rate worldwide is 1 in 100 versus 1 in 1000 for the flu (again with many years to develop resistance).

What is in dispute is the actions being taken and whether it is appropriate to do so. President Trump and other world leaders have taken the stance that people trump economy. As in you cannot replace the dead but you can rebuild the economy.

History will decide if this has been a major over reaction or the correct reaction. What we do know is that if this lock down is more than a couple or weeks the damage to the economy and people's livelihoods might be irreversible or take a very long time to correct. Which will beg the question as to whether it was worth it.

The only benefit I see is that it now brings to light our ridiculous dependence on China that will hopefully now get bi-partisan support to fix.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I will confess that my thoughts on this initially was that the media was over hyping it & while potentially serious it would not turn into the Zombie Apocalypse. I don't think what the media did was actual foresight on their part but rather it just so happened to go in the direction they were citing. I am awaiting a Covid 19 test result as I had just returned from the Caribbean recently and then developed some flu like symptoms. I am confident I don't have it but it is as yet to be confirmed. It is taking a long time to get the results right now it's been 4 days since my test and they have not been posted yet. It seems due to demand that 5 or 6 days is what is to be expected. That is too long in my view.

I still go outside to take a walk or take the Mustang out to unleash a bit of Hell but I stay clear of other folks. I am seeing people out congregating with their children and other families which I think is not overly responsible of them to do. Life was very different not even a week ago....

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
The only benefit I see is that it now brings to light our ridiculous dependence on China that will hopefully now get bi-partisan support to fix.
I agree with your post in its entirety. We just do not know how this is going to play out. No one is hoping that ten of thousands die, but you have to plan for the worst and hope for the best.

What I think is really come to light is that our healthcare system, long looked at as the best in the world, is crumbling before our eyes. How did this happen, how do we fix it for the next time? And there will be a next time.

Nationalism sounds great. we've tried it already prior to WW2 and it did not work. We can now clearly see that it will not work in the 21st century. I have no issue with America first, but that doesn't mean we can live in a bubble. The rest of the world needs us and we need the rest of the world.

And we certainly need to look at our elected leaders, all of them. We, the American people have been let down by them. When all this subsides (and it will) let's look at the people in charge and decide who had our best interests at heart. Then, "We the people" can make the necessary changes.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I will confess that my thoughts on this initially was that the media was over hyping it & while potentially serious it would not turn into the Zombie Apocalypse. I don't think what the media did was actual foresight on their part but rather it just so happened to go in the direction they were citing. I am awaiting a Covid 19 test result as I had just returned from the Caribbean recently and then developed some flu like symptoms. I am confident I don't have it but it is as yet to be confirmed. It is taking a long time to get the results right now it's been 4 days since my test and they have not been posted yet. It seems due to demand that 5 or 6 days is what is to be expected. That is too long in my view.

I still go outside to take a walk or take the Mustang out to unleash a bit of Hell but I stay clear of other folks. I am seeing people out congregating with their children and other families which I think is not overly responsible of them to do. Life was very different not even a week ago....
Wish you the best with your results.

I know several people that are in similar situations.

My parents and brother are telling me to come visit in my downtime but I’m extremely hesitant to jump on a plane right now and IF by a small chance I have been exposed and carrying asymtompatic I don’t know how I’d live with myself if I passed it on to my parents or niece/nephew who are very young.

These are truly scary times.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
My parents and brother are telling me to come visit in my downtime but I’m extremely hesitant to jump on a plane right now and IF by a small chance I have been exposed and carrying asymtompatic I don’t know how I’d live with myself if I passed it on to my parents or niece/nephew who are very young.
You think?????? Are you rich? Only reason I can think that your brother and parents want to get rid of you. :giggle:
Sponsored