Sponsored

Anybody buying this media fueled COVID-19 bull schitt?

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
I wonder why so many other countries don’t seem to have too many issues with getting the spread under control?
India passes corona virus milestone: The largest number of daily cases in the world

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...f61f0a-e7c1-11ea-bf44-0d31c85838a5_story.html

Plenty of countries are having problems. Much like you, they are dishonest about what they report. You are just blinded by your dislike for America and always looking for something rotten to say.
Erm... I have no real dislike for America.
If you want to compare “the greatest nation on Earth” to India, feel free. If that’s your standard of “winning”, you’ve set the bar much lower than would otherwise be expected of such a wealthy nation.
Love how @lonegunman shows you quickly another country and you instantly dismiss it. For someone so into facts/stats/charts this seems like the ultimate hypocrisy.
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
India passes corona virus milestone: The largest number of daily cases in the world

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...f61f0a-e7c1-11ea-bf44-0d31c85838a5_story.html

Plenty of countries are having problems. Much like you, they are dishonest about what they report. You are just blinded by your dislike for America and always looking for something rotten to say.
Some may find the Fox News article more informative:
https://www.foxnews.com/world/india-biggest-single-day-coronavirus-infection-spike

"A country of 1.4 billion people, India now has the fastest-growing daily coronavirus caseload of any country in the world, reporting more than 75,000 new cases for four straight days.

One of the reasons is testing: India now conducts nearly 1 million tests every day, compared with just 200,000 two months ago.

A significant feature of India’s COVID-19 management, however, is the growing rate of recovered patients. On Sunday, the recovery rate reached nearly 76.5%.

The Health Ministry credited its strategic policy of “testing aggressively, tracking comprehensively and treating efficiently” in supervised home isolation and hospitals.

But COVID-19 fatalities continue to mount and soon India will have the third-largest death toll, after the United States and Brazil, even though it has had far fewer deaths than those two countries."

We can learn from the experiences of others if we look through an objective lens.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
2.6 comorbidities, obesity, diabetes and ?
I get that it can cause other illness, such as diabetes, but death? It seems instead like obesity inhibits the body's ability to fight disease; i.e., COVID. Therefore, obese Americans are more likely to succumb to COVID. Unfortunately, given that 66% of Americans are obese, we (Americans) are more susceptible to COVID than are the populations of other nations. So, from a strategic perspective, it would be in our national interest to address our obesity issue.

Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Love how @lonegunman shows you quickly another country and you instantly dismiss it. For someone so into facts/stats/charts this seems like the ultimate hypocrisy.
I probably should’ve said “first world” countries...
If you guys want to declare victory every time you beat the absolute bottom, feel free.
Next minute you’ll be telling us what a fantastic society you live in because women aren’t having acid thrown in their faces.
For a nation that continuously refers to itself as #1, I think you could aim slightly higher than “worst in the developed world”.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
If you guys want to declare victory every time you beat the absolute bottom, feel free.
Next minute you’ll be telling us what a fantastic society you live in because women aren’t having acid thrown in their faces.
For a nation that continuously refers to itself as #1, I think you could aim slightly higher than “worst in the developed world”.
Unfortunately, though India is trending up, we are still in worse straits than they are--not that this should be a competition or we wish ill upon others.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately, though India is trending up, we are still in worse straits than they are--not that this should be a competition or we wish ill upon others.
100% agreed. I wish for better things for ALL nations.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
You probably should have said a lot of things you did not....

I'm sure that India appreciates your regards.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
You probably should have said a lot of things you did not....

I'm sure that India appreciates your regards.
Upon re-reading my comment, I can see that it might appear that I was accusing India of being the worst in the developed world”. That was not the intention. My apologies if it appeared that way.

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Trying to avoid all of the usual mud slinging, there are some interesting developments /features with COVID that may or may not be significant:

Many European countries that had high initial peaks are now seeing significant increases in recorded cases again, but not translating that into hospital admissions and deaths. There are many reasons and it is clearly multifactorial however some of them are:

Testing increases are picking up more of the actual cases, showing greater numbers of cases, but in reality the true number of cases are not necessarily always rising. This is thought to be the case in the UK especially where testing per head of population is now one of the highest in the world, having been one of the lowest initially.

Country based figures are pretty useless for judging disease. France is seeing 6000 cases per day at present (10 times the figure in early August) but this is almost entirely in major cities and in younger people. Catching COVID at work in open plan offices seems to be driving this in Paris and hence the compulsory face masks in enclosed workspaces that was introduced today. Where I live in both the UK and France the cases of COVID are negligible, but the two countries on a national scale are very different.

The most vulnerable people in the worst affected European countries are already dead! Countries will always keep producing more vulnerable people to replace them but these people in many countries have been shielding for months and are still very reluctant to go out and mix with others

Most recent cases are in younger people who are less concerned about transmission because of the lower (but not non-existent) risk of significant disease. These people are much less likely to end up in hospital.

Hospital treatment itself is much more effective resulting in lower deaths.

Countries that did not see a significant first wave such as S Korea where the outbreak was well controlled are now seeing significant problems in hospitals - their most vulnerable people were not killed in the first wave so are still available to catch disease !

The virus continues to mutate. The recent 'second infection case' was shown to be two different strains of the virus with the second event being asymptomatic as a result of previous exposure related immunity.

Transmission pretty much only occurs in enclosed spaces. Tracing data from Wales (unpublished) is suggesting that 90%+ of infections are picked up in the home or workplace from a person they had prolonged contact with. Multigenerational households are a particular problem here where young asymptomatic carriers take the infection home to older relatives.

The Swedish control model is being increasingly admired where the population as a whole took responsibility to control spread by social distancing and wearing masks. This may well end up the new normal for other countries where control is achieved whilst maximising the ability to keep the country going.

Nightclubs are about the most effective way of transmitting COVID !

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
Nightclubs are about the most effective way of transmitting COVID !
Not just clubs. Any gatherings that the 14-30 year old crowd enjoys. They for the most part do not care about the virus as it is usually asymptomatic for them. However they can still transmit it to their parents/grand parents/etc which then causes unintended consequences.

It truly is not going to be under complete control till the herd majority is infected/vaccinated.

However to shut down the country over this has been detrimental too. To shut it down again would be even worse.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Not just clubs. Any gatherings that the 14-30 year old crowd enjoys. They for the most part do not care about the virus as it is usually asymptomatic for them. However they can still transmit it to their parents/grand parents/etc which then causes unintended consequences.

It truly is not going to be under complete control till the herd majority is infected/vaccinated.

However to shut down the country over this has been detrimental too. To shut it down again would be even worse.
Lockdown at a national level really is only a one time event but localised lockdowns with stringent testing and tracing should make that unnecessary anyway.

The UK made a complete dogs dinner of the initial response and the lockdown had to happen. Lack of testing was the main issue meaning nobody had a clue of rates of infection or who was infected. Fortunately now the UK leads the world in terms of testing per head of population and the test and trace system we have is getting better all the time. It has identified flare ups, allowed localised restrictions and then been used to confirm the situation is under control before releasing restrictions again.

Agree regarding 'herd immunity' this has always been the case, however it is also possible that the virus will blow itself out a bit. It has and does regularly mutate and every time this happens the behaviour will change slightly. In general viruses tend to become less virulent with time (they may also become more contagious) because the more contagious / less virulent strains spread more easily and kill less people. If a disease kills people effectively it struggles to spread because those people that get it effectively become isolated, either because of being in hospital or dead. SARS1 was very much along these lines where illness developed quickly and severely making identification of victims easy.

There is a lot of useful information on testing rates etc here https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-testing

This is quite a complex subject and one that needs quite a lot of digging down into to get the true picture of what is going on at a country level. I cautioned earlier that this may still be very crude in larger countries where local variations can be huge. The nice thing about some of these charts is that you can move the timeline and see countries catch up or drop behind in the various metrics. Well worth a read.

Reactions: DRB

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
^ Thanks for that link. There is a lot of good information compiled there.
Sponsored