Sponsored

Any FP350S hood vent install tips?

CarbonZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Decided to go with the FP350 hood vent instead of an aftermarket part. Could have saved a ton, but like the idea of using ford parts when avail. The paint finish on it is no where near show worthy, but I expect that for any "race" part. There is a burr on one edge that needs to sanded and touched up. Plus a few distortions and orange peel. Honestly better than I expected it to be though. Undecided if I'm going to sand the whole thing down and paint yet. Was thinking a satin or matte, but that's a decision for a little later.

IMG_20210606_112425.jpg

Looking for advice on what cutting tool has worked best for those of you that have cut up a hood before. I've read people use body saws, nibblers, cut off wheel, skill saw( not for me), jigsaw etc. I fear a reciprocating saw would distort the cut edge, leaving a cut off wheel the logical choice.

My compressor died a few years back, and never replaced it, so sold my tools that went with it. I knew one day I'd kick myself for it, but they weren't anything special anyway. So if I went the cutoff wheel route I'm into it for a good chunk before I ever get started. Unless there is a good electric one someone knows about? I know there are a few cheap ones out there, but not sure of any that are trustworthy. Def considering a new compressor, would be really nice to have one in general again.

So any advice? Tips? I'm not opposed to paying a local shop to do it. At least then a slip and gouge would be their issue and not my $1500 oops lol. Planning on going to a few shops this week to get some estimates, but would prefer a diy. Enjoy working on stuff and the satisfaction of a job well done....I do still have my PPE, face shields etc

Also regarding the ppf. I plan on a final trim of that up to the edge of the vent. Think that's necessary? And the silicone only goes on the recessed front edge where the factory vent was correct? Will be installing some quick latch hood pins as well.

For those that have paid to have this type of work done what were your estimates? Any tips, or not to do's... please lmk. Should be a great looking functional mod when done.
IMG_20210605_135645.jpg

IMG_20210605_135726.jpg
Sponsored

SmokinAces

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Hey @CarbonZ , may want to look thru the following link to start. There are a few players here who have installed vents on their hoods. flyhalf and Ewheels are a few you can look up who are very helpful. Have you looked into a spare hood. Was really hesitant to cut my original hood for many reason. I installed several vents on my prior GT, see below. Was about to purchase a spare hood for the GT350 but the junk yard just happen to sell it before I got there.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/are-you-kidding-me-cooling-post.142052/

A3FD18C5-A98C-449B-904E-7DFCD84E3658.jpeg

42576994-E8F5-49BB-AB52-CD914A9FC467.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
CarbonZ

CarbonZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Hey @CarbonZ , may want to look thru the following link to start. There are a few players here who have installed vents on their hoods. fly half and Ewheels are a few you can look up who are very helpful. Have you looked into a spare hood. Was really hesitant to cut my original hood for many reason. I installed several vents on my prior GT, see below. Was about to purchase a spare hood for the GT350 but the junk yard just happen to sell it before I got there.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/are-you-kidding-me-cooling-post.142052/
I'll check the link thanks. Yeah I though about just getting a new hood or spare. Opted against it. Time will tell if that plan works out for me or not lol. I plan on grabbing any hood from a yard, just to practice cutting it up though if I decide to go the cut it myself route.

Thanks again for the link.

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
Blue tape, Dremel with diamond cutting wheels. Mark it out with a marker on top of thr blue tape and cut slowly. The tops of hoods are usually fiberglass. The support is steel or in this case aluminum. Take your time and cut out the line.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It's a GT, but I used a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder for the majority of the cutting on my hood when I installed vents. No compressor needed.

I had a lot of trouble finding center. Virtually none of the hood is straight as far as I can tell. It's all various angles and curves. I ended up using the slight crease in the center of the hood as my main reference. Obviously double, triple, quadruple check everything before cutting..

Last edited:
OP
OP
CarbonZ

CarbonZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
It's a GT, but I used a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder for the majority of the cutting on my hood when I installed vents. No compressor needed.

I had a lot of trouble finding center. Virtually none of the hood is straight as far as I can tell. It's all various angles and curves. I ended up using the slight crease in the center of the hood as my main reference. Obviously double, triple, quadruple check everything before cutting..
That could work I have an angle grinder. Never used it to cut anything besides plate and bar stock though. Which cutting wheel did you use? How did it go for you? Planned on taping the whole hood and adding multiple layers around the cutting area.

SmokinAces

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
I used a hi speed pneumatic grinder, 90 degree die grinder. Used a metal cutting wheel. I most definitely recommend get some one inch wide steel or aluminum stripes from Home Depot to use as a border. You can tape them down and they’ll keep you honest. You’ll also want to pickup some black matte paint to cover the edges you cut. I know you can’t use anything pneumatic, but that’s what I used. Are you going to take the hood off to install? If not get a big blanket as well to cover the engine bay.

F43B17D6-95E7-4895-B68D-502E32C9BF88.jpeg

A76487BF-F614-41BB-8B2E-D6B41ED602CA.jpeg

OP
OP
CarbonZ

CarbonZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I used a hi speed pneumatic grinder, 90 degree die grinder. Used a metal cutting wheel. I most definitely recommend get some one inch wide steel or aluminum stripes from Home Depot to use as a border. You can tape them down and they’ll keep you honest. You’ll also want to pickup some black matte paint to cover the edges you cut. I know you can’t use anything pneumatic, but that’s what I used. Are you going to take the hood off to install? If not get a big blanket as well to cover the engine bay.

F43B17D6-95E7-4895-B68D-502E32C9BF88.jpeg

A76487BF-F614-41BB-8B2E-D6B41ED602CA.jpeg
I most definitely recommend get some one inch wide steel or aluminum stripes from Home Depot to use as a border. You can tape them down and they’ll keep you honest. You’ll also want to pickup some black matte paint to cover the edges you cut. I know you can’t use anything pneumatic, but that’s what I used. Are you going to take the hood off to install? If not get a big blanket as well to cover the engine bay.

That's a great idea. I was trying to think of someway to make a guide or oops preventer. Will def do that.

Plan on taking the hood off. Make it easy to do the underside supports that way too, and less worry. thanks for the tips!

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I used a 5in angle grinder to cut all of my vents. Just cover the entire area with tape and go at it. I found taking the hood off and working laying it up against the wall so you're working vertically was helpful to keep a steady hand.

Sponsored
OP
OP
CarbonZ

CarbonZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I used a 5in angle grinder to cut all of my vents. Just cover the entire area with tape and go at it. I found taking the hood off and working laying it up against the wall so you're working vertically was helpful to keep a steady hand.

Sounds good thanks a lot

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
That could work I have an angle grinder. Never used it to cut anything besides plate and bar stock though. Which cutting wheel did you use? How did it go for you? Planned on taping the whole hood and adding multiple layers around the cutting area.
I used the thinnest wheels I had laying around. I think they are around 1/16" thick or so. A thicker wheel just takes longer to make the cut with and throws more dust.

I think it went well, but I was so afraid of cutting the holes too large that I ended up tweaking them quite a few times. I would probably do it the same way if I did it again, though. That reminds me. I used a sandpaper flap wheel on the same grinder to straighten up, deburr and adjust the cuts.
Sponsored