Any body tracking their convertible?

jarad13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jarad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT convertible
I just took my 15 GT convertible to Chuckwalla this past weekend. Put down a couple 2:15 lap times. Only mods are Borla S Type exhaust and steeda cold air intake. I have a CDC Styling bar with brake light but was told for me to join the competition I would need a "real" roll cage installed. Has anyone installed a cage? Also what mods for a track would you go for first on a convertible? Lastly anyone interested in my CDC? I am thinking a full suspension set up and some new shoes are next on the list.
Sponsored

jimbabwe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP Convertible
I've read good things about the Watson Racing 4 point bar...seems to be a bolt on/off installation, and bolts to the corner gussets, rather than the floor. I've actually been looking to purchase this for some time to be able to AutoX or track without any worries.

I had two questions for Watson Racing before purchasing:
- Can the top be opened and closed with the roll bar installed?
- Can one modify the Rear Seat Delete Kit (currently only listed as compatible for coupes only) easily to be able to install to a convertible?

I called them a few times, left a voicemail, and wrote in using their website, but was never able to answer these two questions. So, I have yet to purchase.

Subscribing in case others may be able to chime in with more info.

EDIT: Sorry, I just re-read that you asked about a cage, not a bar. Keeping this here in case it's helpful

OP
OP

jarad13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jarad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT convertible
Yes the Watson looks good from what I’ve seen online. There is a local shop that will custom build one for the same price. And I know your top will close with theirs. I am seriously considering completely removing the top for weight reduction. I’d imagaine the top and the motors and all would easily weigh more than a hundred pounds.

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible (See my garage)
Vehicle Showcase
Tyres, Suspension, Brakes are always top 3 for tracking a car of any type. I have coilovers on mine and have tracked it a few times, always a lot of fun. Better brake pads and rotors help a lot, coilovers do too, and good tyres. Adding to the cornering and braking ability helps with times more then adding power.

Permenantly removing the roof and putting in a roll cage is nuking the cars value too, honestly if you want to get that serious trading it in for a fastback might be the best option, open top cars are also restricted as well.

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
With a GT, you should already have the factory strut bar, and upper K-brace.

Better check into an aftermarket kit to remove some of the play out of the rear suspension and add additional lower front reinforcement like a K-brace or simple straight brace (what i have).

I am concerned about chassis flexing but do not have any sure-fire solutions. Perhaps, adding jacking rails could help?

CVCashmer
e
Sponsored