mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
I know most of these will be basically never driven, but I wonder if the Tech packages are going to be meaningfully different in value than the Track packages in the long term as we now better understand the limitations.

OP
OP

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t want to know
I know most of these will be basically never driven, but I wonder if the Tech packages are going to be meaningfully different in value than the Track packages in the long term as we now better understand the limitations.
Absolutely not - the 2015s of any flavor are pretty much viewed as part of the entire run, and the "investors" who are buying them now are more interested in just getting their hands on one than what color or package it has. Besides - and I know this may be hard for some people to believe - if it does make a difference to a particular investor, not everyone wants a Track Package car.

Beyond the 2015s, the interest in Tech cars and acceptance in the marketplace is much higher than for Track cars. There is a whole group, despite the whining of Track Package owners about Tech Package cars and the complaints from people who bought the wrong car for their purposes, that will help keep the values proportional to each other. Like it or not, only a small minority of the GT 350s will ever see the track, and those "beat-on" cars will be just as undesireable to future used Tech Package buyers as Tech Package cars will be of little interest to future used Track Package buyers who will want to hit the track regularly.

Do I think Ford screwed up by causing itself a load of potential grief by not putting the full set of coolers on all GT 350s? Absolutely. Do I think Ford will offer a reasonably priced tranny/diff cooler package for owners who want it? Absolutely. Do I think a few loud people with GT 350s that have other problems are wrongly blaming them on tranny overheating? Absolutely. Do I think it's too soon to declare that all GT 350s will have cooling problems? Absolutely.

What we really need are the people who aren't owners of specific cars and packages to quit bitching about how bad the cars are. All of this negativity will affect the entire GT 350 community - not just the owners of cars that have certain equipment.

Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
$120K - My guess.
Certainly not disagreeing with your guess but with the same car that sold at Indy at $135K just a short while ago and with this being an all Black GT350 I suggest a little higher price than you are predicting might be in order.

As far as a Tech Pack versus a Track Pack car I suggest that if both cars were the same color combination the price would not differ that much.

One of the keys for me at least from a collectibility standpoint would be more of the number of 2015 MY GT350's produced in any particular color combination than whether it is a Tech or Track Pack car and the lower the production number the better. Just my opinion.

The final hammer price all depends on what kind of money is in the crowd that day along with those all important phone bidders that have a habit of picking up some of these rare cars and low production vehicles.

:cheers:

Last edited:

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
"Meaningfully" leaves room for interpretation but my belief is that there is a certain stigma attached to the Tech cars regardless of intended usage. Ford wisely mitigated the issue for '17 but that doesn't change some of the decisions made for both the '15/'16 cars.

shelby_r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 67 GT350, 68 GT350 Con, 65 R Restomod
It'll be interested to see what happens with this 2015.

The 2015 that sold at Mecum Kissimmee back in January was a DIB, White OTTS with the Track Pack. Hammer price: $115K

The 2015 that sold at Mecum Indy (per PP0001) last month was also a DIB, White OTTS, but with the Tech pack. Hammer price: $135K

I'm guessing that the hammer price of the Indy car was more a function of limited supply, as (to my knowledge) all 2015s have been sold or gobbled up by dealership owners. The only way to get a 2015 now is through auction or private sale. The last one to sell was car # 0113, and that car was located in the DFW area. It finally sold a couple of weeks ago - the dealer was originally going to keep it for himself...I'm guessing dollar signs changed his mind. :D

We'll see! :ford:

abcut973

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C63 AMG Black Series, ML350 Bluetech
Yep looking forward to see how this one will go.

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Yet I, and maybe a few others, are having the most priceless fun with ours..... experiencing it to the illest on the road & track. :D

Btw the July Mecum has a Red "15 Track pack scheduled.....

27506140421_a04ff7a4b0_c.jpg

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The collector mind set is interesting to me. I expect these guys are correct and the value of the 2015s will continue to rise. High risk investments though..

It will be fun to see what the value of the cars does over time. I was looking at race day insurance for my 2016 tech pack and had to look up the KBB value. I was pleasantly surprised to see that KBB thinks my car is worth $66k. Never happened to me before where a car increased in value after driving off the lot.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Yet I, and maybe a few others, are having the most priceless fun with ours..... experiencing it to the illest on the road & track. :D

Btw the July Mecum has a Red "15 Track pack scheduled.....

27506140421_a04ff7a4b0_c.jpg
I know both of the 2015 cars in question and their owners quite well and wish them all the best next weekend and in July!

Wherever the market heads with these 2015 GT350's my car #77 will certainly follow whatever the selling price?

:ford:

mdmoore23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ZL1
Absolutely not - the 2015s of any flavor are pretty much viewed as part of the entire run, and the "investors" who are buying them now are more interested in just getting their hands on one than what color or package it has.
I'm glad for the owners that got 2015's for reasonable prices, but continue to be baffled. If these are so called investors at the auctions, they seem to be making a grave mistake paying double sticker price for these cars. Is there a time in auto history where buying a car at such a price made since regarding future appreciation? The Ford GT has seen some of the fastest and most substantial appreciation in recent history, yet it wasn't going for these types of percentages over sticker during its run. I just wonder what people are expecting these cars to be worth in the long run. It seems to me that they are eating up all their potential profit in the purchase price.

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Keep in mind there are collectors out there everywhere and overseas too... price may be no object or at least not a top priority for some. There are a few new cars as well that are being scooped up over msrp and resold later at still over sticker or way over.... the common denominator is typically limited availability and future collectible status. As an example, the Porsche GT cars (GT3 RS/GT3/GT4 and 911R) always command a demand & premium for the most part. Conversely there are high-performance models with very limited production numbers that depreciates for now short-med term... aka the current SRT Viper but may appreciate later on. We'll see...

One thing that will never disappear are the diehard longtime Mustang enthusiasts & collectors who can afford to buy this and add another model and another one, and so on, etc. The auction and online market for rare and/or highly desirable specialty Mustangs caters to them... Mecum and other specialty auctions across the US is a prime venue to all these types of folks. It's a risk to take like any other investment avenue...that's part of the thrill as well.

At this point, even the very volatile stock market is arguably more riskier... I know my portfolio has taken some heavy punches there! Ugh. :tsk:

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I'm glad for the owners that got 2015's for reasonable prices, but continue to be baffled. If these are so called investors at the auctions, they seem to be making a grave mistake paying double sticker price for these cars. Is there a time in auto history where buying a car at such a price made since regarding future appreciation? The Ford GT has seen some of the fastest and most substantial appreciation in recent history, yet it wasn't going for these types of percentages over sticker during its run. I just wonder what people are expecting these cars to be worth in the long run. It seems to me that they are eating up all their potential profit in the purchase price.
Certainly difficult to compare the Ford GT to a 2015 Shelby GT350 in terms of collectibility and for many reasons.

History has shown that first run production cars such as the 50th Anniversary 2015 GT350, high horsepower and limited production numbers all equate to what collectors want out of a car and with a very few of these 2015 cars being accessible to pretty much all of the world now it makes these cars in great demand.

The 2015 GT350 that just sold in Indy was a bidding war between 2 phone bidders so who knows where they were calling in from?

Also we must keep in mind that there were over 4000 Ford GT's produced for the 2005/2006 MY and only 50 Track Pack and 50 Tech Pack cars built for the 2015MY.

Of course the 37 R models are all pretty much locked in on VIP allocations and for the most part cannot be sold for the next 3 years therefore a big demand for the 100 GT350's from 2015 with many of them also locked in on VIP allocations as well.

All comes down to supply and demand and obviously the demand for these cars is outstanding at this point.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Sponsored