Sponsored

Another '18 Coyote engine to bite the dust. (Buy back accepted)

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Chrome flaking: Vintage Moto Guzzis. Pretty common. In theory it should last forever, but something caused it to flake with terminal results. Perhaps it was moisture between the chrome and the aluminum.

Nikasil failures: Jaguar is the most infamous. https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a6643/top-automotive-engineering-failures-jaguar-nikasil-v8/

So no matter how good it looks on the engineering paper what really matters is when it's on the road.
Yep chrome had its issues...It was an advancement over cast iron but... Chrome doesn't wet with oil very well and plating chrome is not the cleanest process. Plating a cylinder is 90% preparation and 10% plating. Bare aluminum bore has to be Very clean and oil free to get proper plating adhesion. There are plenty of cleaning/prep and preplate baths that a cylinder will go through before the actual plating process starts. There is a lot of room for error in the pre treatment process. If this is not done correctly you get flaking and peeling.
We did not plate any chrome but we would repair Guzzi cylinders by stripping the chrome and re-plating with nickle silicon carbide. We had to use diamond stones on our hone to properly size the cylinder to the piston. Chrome bores do not like running chrome plated rings so iron rings worked well. With NiSiC, chrome plated rings worked very well.
Sponsored

boogs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP Auto
That's interesting I got that same thud sound.. Thought it was knock but I got exactly what u described it as.
My car does the same thing. It's not consistent but i can feel it in the shifter (auto) at idle in park. As soon as i put the car in drive, the sound and feeling in the shifter goes away. The sound is like a dull thud and since it goes away when the engine is under load i assumed it wasn't anything too serious. Here's hoping it's what this old TSB indicates.

boogs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP Auto
Same here it's not consistent at all.. If I put my ear to the intake tube its more pronounced.
Mine is going back into the shop tomorrow for the leaking transmission issue and they're also going to check out the thudding sound. Fortunately the mechanic that put in the second transmission actually heard the sound and agreed it wasn't normal.

Sponsored

OP
OP
5OhSilver

5OhSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT S/C PP2 - '15 GT PP - '18 GT
Update - Went to the dealer to check on my car and they brought me back to the car to show me what they found. The cam caps and cam shafts were scored to hell. you could run your finger nails in the groves they were so deep. You could tell the engine was eating itself alive for awhile now. They found metal glitter in the oil pan and oil filter. The technician is recommending long block replacement and awaiting approval from Ford. I have opened a case with Ford Corporate in case I need to pursue a buy back which may be where I am headed. We are at 11 days the car has been at the dealer in total.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Update - Went to the dealer to check on my car and they brought me back to the car to show me what they found. The cam caps and cam shafts were scored to hell. you could run your finger nails in the groves they were so deep. You could tell the engine was eating itself alive for awhile now. They found metal glitter in the oil pan and oil filter. The technician is recommending long block replacement and awaiting approval from Ford. I have opened a case with Ford Corporate in case I need to pursue a buy back which may be where I am headed. We are at 11 days the car has been at the dealer in total.
Wow, were all the cam caps/bearings score up or just a few? At least the explains where the metal particles were coming from.

swooshdave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
That sounds like a symptom, not the cause. I bet other parts are shedding metal and it got in the oil and the cams are just the most visible.

OP
OP
5OhSilver

5OhSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow, were all the cam caps/bearings score up or just a few? At least the explains where the metal particles were coming from.
Not sure how many. Saw the engine out of the car today and it looked like every lobe is scored.
IMG_20181102_150641.jpg

Update: Ford approved a Long Block. Adding pictures.
IMG_20181102_150643.jpg
IMG_20181102_150641.jpg
IMG_20181102_150631.jpg
IMG_20181102_150629.jpg
IMG_20181102_174128_536.jpg

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Not sure how many. Saw the engine out of the car today and it looked like every lobe is scored.
IMG_20181102_150641.jpg
Hard to say about those streaks down the center of the cam lobes ... some of that could be normal wear marks. But if there are deep scores there, and deep scores on the cam journal bearings then that's not good. Nice you're getting a long block ... wise choice by Ford as particles being pumped throughout the oiling system isn't a good thing.
Coyote Cam Wear Marks.JPG

Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hard to say about those streaks down the center of the cam lobes ... some of that could be normal wear marks. But if there are deep scores there, and deep scores on the cam journal bearings then that's not good. Nice you're getting a long block ... wise choice by Ford as particles being pumped throughout the oiling system isn't a good thing.
Coyote Cam Wear Marks.JPG
That all looks pretty normal to me. You're going to have some wear-in marks with such a new engine. That doesn't mean it's eating itself. If anything, it's when you see a really outstanding super shiny mark that tells me you grinding metal. That dark line seems to be more of a heat mark from the center where it will normally be hotter from use. That doesn't mean it's scored though. Correct me if I'm wrong, but scoring usually leaves very shiny spots.

OP
OP
5OhSilver

5OhSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That all looks pretty normal to me. You're going to have some wear-in marks with such a new engine. That doesn't mean it's eating itself. If anything, it's when you see a really outstanding super shiny mark that tells me you grinding metal. That dark line seems to be more of a heat mark from the center where it will normally be hotter from use. That doesn't mean it's scored though. Correct me if I'm wrong, but scoring usually leaves very shiny spots.
Both the cam lobes and cam journals have scoring so deep your fingernail would catch on the scores.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Both the cam lobes and cam journals have scoring so deep your fingernail would catch on the scores.
I believe you, but that close up pic does look pretty normal to me, as the surface looks like it just has a little heat mark in the center, and not really a groove anywhere. Do you have a specific close up pic of the scoring grooves?

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Stick your head in the engine bay just above the A/C Compressor. Is it louder? If you focus, can you feel it in the shifter? If so, that's the old classic issue that was never fixed as they never changed the position of the A/C Compressor relative to the crank.. Old fix was to add a tensioner to the compressor belt line.

Not a durability issue, just noise.

https://latemodel.cachefly.net/downloads/tsb05-14/tsb12-08-14.pdf
I actually have my car at the dealer for this stupid sound. Other than the stupid dull thud it sounds fine. So it's confirmed that fixing this is just a quality of life thing, and leaving it as is doesn't hurt anything?
Sponsored