Sponsored

Another “Should I trade my Ecoboost for a GT” thread...

Wally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Challenger Scat Pack
I’m thinking about getting an EB for a back and forth to work Beater. But I’m going to wait and see if they bump the 4 bangers power next year. Now that the GT has 460. I don’t see why ford can’t do a 350hp EB. Use the tech out of the focus RS. I wanna be the part throttle race king!
I doubt they will increase output again for the S550 unless they extend the life of this gen another couple years, which is possible based on the info we have. I’m sure you will win most of your part throttle races with that 350 ft lbs it has now though.:thumbsup:
Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I doubt they will increase output again for the S550 unless they extend the life of this gen another couple years, which is possible based on the info we have. I’m sure you will win most of your part throttle races with that 350 ft lbs it has now though.:thumbsup:

The hybrid and faster Ecoboost is coming out in a year. Get that instead.

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
Here is my take. "There is no replacement for displacement" The eco boost is a great engine, period. My wife has a 2017 Escape Platinum with the 4 banger. It runs like a champ and gets decent mileage. (AKA the Trip Mobile) My car a 2018 GT Premium 6 Speed with 3:55 gears. Raw power, smooth shifting, and an head turning exhaust system from the factory. There is nothing more to say . You know you always wanted the V8 so go buy one and enjoy the ride.

Lionorion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Family minivan (for now)
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Perrelli P Zero Nero stock tires with 19” wheels. The dealer had them pumped up to 40 psi. I am currently running them at 31 psi. Much better but, still a lot rougher riding than the 2011 V6 convertible mustang I traded in for it. That 2011 had the same crappy tires on it when I bought that used except they were 18” wheels. Shortly after buying the 2011 I put Firestone Destination LE2 tires on and they ride so much smoother and quieter than these Pirellis. The other reason I want 17” wheels is better mpgs and the price of tires is way, way less than 18” or 19” tires.
I think you’ll have clearance issues with 17” rims. 18” is the minimum for the GT’s 4 pots I believe.

OP
OP
Marsalad

Marsalad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mazda MX-5
OK. I’ll try to address all of the responses.
I’m 48 years old and currently have no interest in a Corvette. I do not go to Starbucks. I MUST have a manual, regardless of how wonderful the A10 is. My wife is involved in big purchases, but generally doesn’t care what I drive as long as the payment fits our budget. My wife also drives a “black on black on black” Dodge Durango so we have that angle covered. The Mustang is my summer car, I have an F-150 for winter. I’ve owned two Fox body 5.0 LX’s in the past and would love to own another, especially now that I am financially able to have what I wanted in High School. If I didn’t have kids I would have a 911. Bottom line is the EB is fine but the GT exists and therefore must be considered. Plus I fear the electric/autonomous future and don’t want to miss out on nasty V8 power.
To be continued...

Sponsored

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
How about a 2017 V6? I read on here that they will be a collector's car since Ford stopped making them.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1

Alej

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alejandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017 PP+PP2
I drove both in 2017 before choosing one. Settled for a manual ‘17 GT PP... there was just no comparison, starting at 1500 RPM on third gear would gradually accelerate and build more power, and more power, and more accel and even more power. It’s a blast to drive.
In my opinion, if you can take your mind away from gas mileage, price difference from one to the other, etc the more you will enjoy the car. If any of these is an issue then it’s probably better to get something else that fits the bill.

Hope that helps.

———————————
How my rationalization went for me:
I went a bit extreme when reflecting about it. I don’t really need a car so I would rather continue on bus and bicycles than to get on a piss boring utility Honda or Toyota, nothing against, but most are just boring utility cars. And the performance versions are VERY pricey anyways. So, acquiring the added responsibility, insurance paperwork, loans, driver license, etc better be damn worth it... nothing fit the bill except a GT. And now I think maybe I should have gotten a GT350 but that’s out of my budget.

A year after driving it: added Power Pack 2, then catback sport exhaust (except if it is a 18 GT with the active one, you do need this to wake up that growl, talking about sounds), then GT350 steering wheel and shift knob and other cosmetics, then LMRs SVE massive 19x10 19x11 Wheels with NT05 tires... then started tracking and Lapping it, probably too seriously.

In my experience, the mustang GT is such a blast to drive that pretty sure I wouldn’t have made this connection otherwise and be pushed to bring it further and further.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I had the same mindset when it came to buying the GT. Who knows how long the V8 will be around for in the Mustang? Probably for a few years (at least), but no one knows for sure, and I wanted to make sure I had one before they stop making them. You'll always want the next best thing though, I wish I had a GT350. haha

Sponsored

Nitronorth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rock
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Auto
Just get the |GT if you can swing it ! I kept my 15 pp eco 2 months, sold it for a 15 shortbox hemi dodge, haaa, and that was even more fun! Every time I started it up in the garage i had to listen to the rattling thing,ticky ticky bouncing off the walls! Yuk! I could hardly get on the road fast enough...now i sit there and listen with the GT and just feel good! Get one! mind you,There might have been a few other reasons i didnt like it, :) but that was sure one of them.

grue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Base GT + PP1
V8 power and torque can be very addictive and OOOOO that sound!

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Just out of curiosity guys...

Where do you get the money to buy a new car for a few months and then trade it in for a more expensive one? If you were put off by the price in the first place, taking the trade in hit and paying it again is worse. That’s a down payment on a house?

But I digress. You only live once. Yards, yadda, yadda...

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
V8 power and torque can be very addictive and OOOOO that sound!
After 33 years of V8s (302, 5.0, 5.0, LT1; I can honestly say “meh” - it’s an overrated experience. I do note the V8 sound is a marketable thing these days. Back in the day - not so much...

OP
OP
Marsalad

Marsalad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mazda MX-5
After 33 years of V8s (302, 5.0, 5.0, LT1; I can honestly say “meh” - it’s an overrated experience. I do note the V8 sound is a marketable thing these days. Back in the day - not so much...

I don’t live that far from Toronto. My son and I go up every year for the Auto Show and I am astonished by the traffic. How can you stand it?
Sponsored