Sponsored

Angrey's custom Fuel System Thread

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
@Angrey isn't the two wire system an average "level" between the two saddles, or does it work differently?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
@Angrey isn't the two wire system an average "level" between the two saddles, or does it work differently?
To be honest, I don't know the particulars, but it's different than a traditional sending unit. It sends a current and then reads a return, rather than sending a current and reading the resistance off a single line.

I tried wiring it to simply read the send or return wires and it didn't like it/wouldn't work. It was very frustrating because in order to change anything (noticeably) you have to change the fuel level (significantly) so that means either driving the car or draining and/or adding fuel. Thats what I've spent these last few weeks trying to debug. I finally settled on the half-performing system I have now. It's not the end of the world. Before I discovered the autometer gauge, I was prepared to manually work the pumps. Deatschwerks claims they've run the micro pumps dry on a bench for an hour and they keep running/don't overheat. So I could even simply leave them on all the time when the car runs, just don't want unnecessary heat or electrical draw (or risk the wear and tear on them, they are brush style lift pumps).

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
To be honest, I don't know the particulars, but it's different than a traditional sending unit. It sends a current and then reads a return, rather than sending a current and reading the resistance off a single line.

I tried wiring it to simply read the send or return wires and it didn't like it/wouldn't work. It was very frustrating because in order to change anything (noticeably) you have to change the fuel level (significantly) so that means either driving the car or draining and/or adding fuel. Thats what I've spent these last few weeks trying to debug. I finally settled on the half-performing system I have now. It's not the end of the world. Before I discovered the autometer gauge, I was prepared to manually work the pumps. Deatschwerks claims they've run the micro pumps dry on a bench for an hour and they keep running/don't overheat. So I could even simply leave them on all the time when the car runs, just don't want unnecessary heat or electrical draw (or risk the wear and tear on them, they are brush style lift pumps).
You know fathouse should know exactly how it works now that I think about it. They program motecs for s550 chassis.

Anyhow good job.
I'll be sure to update you guys whenever I get all of my stuff for builders and manufacturers.

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
You mentioned the TI pump. Are you aware of anyone using this with the Fuelab regulator? I was considering running 2 of the TI BKS1001 pumps using the radium bucket. A called Fuelab and at first was told that it will only work with their brushless controller. After further discussion I mentioned that the TI controller had a PWM input of 100hz. I was then told that their regulator outputs 100-5000hz, so it would be a gamble.

Last edited:

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
You mentioned the TI pump. Are you aware of anyone using this with the Fuelab regulator? I was considering running 2 of the TI BKS1001 pumps using the radium bucket. A called Fuelab and at first was told that it will only work with their brushless controller. After further discussion I mentioned that the TI pump had a PWM input of 100hz. I was then told that their regulator outputs 100-5000hz, so it would be a gamble.
I think u will have to look at the pwm range on the TI EL5M pump, because I know Holley uses the same pump but have more control over the pump than the BKS1000/1001. Last I remember they could pwm and scale the pump.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
You know fathouse should know exactly how it works now that I think about it. They program motecs for s550 chassis.

Anyhow good job.
I'll be sure to update you guys whenever I get all of my stuff for builders and manufacturers.
Most of Fathouse' work is on Voodoos, which aren't DI. Johnson tuning does their MOTEC tuning.

OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I'm betting the BKS1000 would work with the DW controller and the Fuelab regulator. But it doesn't matter because the BKS1000 comes with it's own controller. Just buy two of them and tie them into the Fuelab regulator.

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Most of Fathouse' work is on Voodoos, which aren't DI. Johnson tuning does their MOTEC tuning.
The work on regular 5.0s too.
They wire up 5.0s with two FPDMs. And make them work like stock but with the dual fuel buckets. I'm sure they know the frequency outputs and how it works.

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm betting the BKS1000 would work with the DW controller and the Fuelab regulator. But it doesn't matter because the BKS1000 comes with it's own controller. Just buy two of them and tie them into the Fuelab regulator.
BKS1000 was discontinued and superseded with BKS 1001. Fuelab says it probably won't work and it's a pretty expensive gamble. I'm hesitant to mix and match pumps/controllers and TI doesn't sell the pump without controller anyway, so that would get expensive as well. Fuelab claims they will be getting their controllers this week, so that may be the best option, but I really wanted the BKS1001

EDIT: For clarification, Fuelab says the PWM output of their regulator is 100-5000hz, TI says their controller needs 100hz. Fuelab said that it is probably too close and won't work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
The work on regular 5.0s too.
They wire up 5.0s with two FPDMs. And make them work like stock but with the dual fuel buckets. I'm sure they know the frequency outputs and how it works.
I'd have to see how that works. I'm betting it's one of those "don't drive it lower than 1/x tank" setups. With buckets on each side, both sides would need the bucket bottom submerged to not end up with starvation. I'd prefer a stable in series setup with two regulators, high pressure first.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
BKS1000 was discontinued and superseded with BKS 1001. Fuelab says it probably won't work and it's a pretty expensive gamble. I'm hesitant to mix and match pumps/controllers and TI doesn't sell the pump without controller anyway, so that would get expensive as well. Fuelab claims they will be getting their controllers this week, so that may be the best option, but I really wanted the BKS1001

EDIT: For clarification, Fuelab says the PWM output of their regulator is 100-5000hz, TI says their controller needs 100hz. Fuelab said that it is probably too close and won't work.
Are you sure? Thats doesn't sound correct. I find it hard to believe that TI created controllers that are drastically different than the rest of the market. DW controllers have a very wide range of freqs it will accommodate. You're right, someone would have to be the Guinea pig. I've verified the Fuelab regulator and DW PWM variable controllers work. I'll leave it up to some other pioneer to verify other setups:)

I originally wanted to run the BKS pump, but bought my setup prior to Radium coming out with the newer style bucket, so I had the old bucket and the DW440's. Then the new bucket came out and now I'm stuck with a brand new old style bucket. A pair of BKS pumps would flow crazy and a pair on boosters would probably support like 2000+ hp on E85.

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you sure? Thats doesn't sound correct. I find it hard to believe that TI created controllers that are drastically different than the rest of the market. DW controllers have a very wide range of freqs it will accommodate. You're right, someone would have to be the Guinea pig. I've verified the Fuelab regulator and DW PWM variable controllers work. I'll leave it up to some other pioneer to verify other setups:)

I originally wanted to run the BKS pump, but bought my setup prior to Radium coming out with the newer style bucket, so I had the old bucket and the DW440's. Then the new bucket came out and now I'm stuck with a brand new old style bucket. A pair of BKS pumps would flow crazy and a pair on boosters would probably support like 2000+ hp on E85.
The DW controller is listed as something like 200-500hz, so well within range of the fuelab regulator output. I might give Ti a call tomorrow to see what they have to say, but I suspect getting ahold of anyone there that has answers may be difficult.

OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
The DW controller is listed as something like 200-500hz, so well within range of the fuelab regulator output. I might give Ti a call tomorrow to see what they have to say, but I suspect getting ahold of anyone there that has answers may be difficult.
The DW controller accepts inputs from 20 hertz to 200,000 hertz. I'm betting the BKS controller has a range of inputs that will work and not just a static value. I like the Fuelab guys, but I'm not so trusting when they claim something will or won't work with their products because they're conflicted by wanting to sell you their accompanying pumps/controllers.

Brushless_Pump_Controller_-_DWC1_rev_1-3-22.pdf (shopify.com)

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
"I wasn't a fan of the siphon system, both from a flow standpoint (it's more a trickle than a flow) or the pressure/flow bleed off the primary pumps required to power it."

this is not how the siphon system works

Last edited:

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I'd have to see how that works. I'm betting it's one of those "don't drive it lower than 1/x tank" setups. With buckets on each side, both sides would need the bucket bottom submerged to not end up with starvation. I'd prefer a stable in series setup with two regulators, high pressure first.
Single hat dual pump like gt350 or gt500!
Sponsored