Sponsored

Amp Install Questions

twsnnva

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium (Race Red)
Hi All,

Wondering if anyone has has performed an install yet? I'll be performing one on my GT with "premium" 9 speaker system sometime over the next few days. I have a few questions for anyone that has done an install or is familiar with the system.

1) Where did you go through the firewall?
2) What source did you use for remote power?
3) Does the factory system have preamp outputs? I know most factory systems do not, however I thought ours may since it can be optioned with the shaker system. I'm guessing it does not, in which case I'll just use posi-taps and come of the rear deck speakers into a LOC.
4) My car does not have the shaker system, however the panel in front of my shifter says shaker. Was this a mistake or do all new Mustangs have shaker on that panel?
Sponsored

Boff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP 401a Race Red
I'd be very interested in more info as well.

For the old car, you could plug one of these doohickeys into the back of the head unit and get clean, line-level signals that go out through RCA's to an external amp:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_18704_PAC-AOEM-FRD24.html

No idea if it works with the new architecture, though. Perhaps the Focus community might have some info on that.

Tapping the rear speakers is the last thing I'd do...the speaker-level signals probably roll off the bass at high volumes and of course your fader control would be kaput.

kulfyur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 LE Mustang
Hi All,

Wondering if anyone has has performed an install yet? I'll be performing one on my GT with "premium" 9 speaker system sometime over the next few days. I have a few questions for anyone that has done an install or is familiar with the system.

1) Where did you go through the firewall?
2) What source did you use for remote power?
3) Does the factory system have preamp outputs? I know most factory systems do not, however I thought ours may since it can be optioned with the shaker system. I'm guessing it does not, in which case I'll just use posi-taps and come of the rear deck speakers into a LOC.
4) My car does not have the shaker system, however the panel in front of my shifter says shaker. Was this a mistake or do all new Mustangs have shaker on that panel?
These answers come from my '13 v6 premium w/o the trunk sub:
1 & 2) Idk, but based on my response to 3, i have faith there is something already in the firewall or another alternative. But I know little about DIY audio.
3) I dont know what you mean by preamp outputs but i can say that on the '13 premium, there is an amplifier on the front floor wall (cant remember the exact location beyond that). Something is powering that and giving it it's inputs so you may be able to start by finding that amp in your '15 and use your knowledge and exp from there. Possible even just replace that amp and rewire it to your preference for cleaner integration? but again I'm not DIY audio savy.
4) All premiums have a shaker system. it's part of the upgrade. you may not have the 12 speaker with the sub system but you still have a shaker system. thus the shaker tag (my '13 has that too)

kulfyur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 LE Mustang
Maybe the whole system is shaker then regardless :shrug:? That wouldn't surprise me at all considering the upgrade is to "6 speaker" "9 speaker" then "shaker pro with 12 speakers"...the qualifier being the "pro" guessing the others are just shakers? :shrug: that's all i got lol

Sponsored

Caballo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I'd be interested as well. Not going to spend $1700 on basically a subwoofer as thats the only part of the 401 package I'd be interested in.

MustangTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Comp Orange
I contacted PAC-Audio and asked them if they had a timeline on when they would produce an interface for the 2015 Mustang 6-speaker stereo and this was the response:

"Hello,
Currently there is not talk nor a time line when that might be coming out

Thank you,"

DMoney

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bet.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
So I may be doing the same thing this weekend. I have the Premium 12 Speaker system & plan to add to it. The system sounds ok to me but the bass is lacking for my taste.. Went to a few car audio shops last wk and was told the Audiocontrol LOC would work best for this car & the basic LOC's shouldn't be used in newer car audio systems. The LC2i is about $80-$100. Mine was $60 new off eBay. I plan to tap the signal from the rear 10" sub. Got all my parts in today so I should have amp/subs installed by monday. Oh yea w/ the LC2i theres no need for a remote lead. It turns on through a speaker signal. Will follow up after my install!

------
1200 watt amp w/ 4 Gauge Amp kit.
2 Audiobahn 10" Subs
Audiocontrol LC2i (Line-Output-Convertor)

OP
OP
twsnnva

twsnnva

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium (Race Red)
I guess there are still a lot of unanswered questions on such a new car.

Tapping the rear speakers is the last thing I'd do...the speaker-level signals probably roll off the bass at high volumes and of course your fader control would be kaput.
Hi Boff,

I'm with you 100%. This is the first install I've done that didn't use an aftermarket headunit. It feels very "hackish" to me, but it's pretty much what you have to do when using a factory headunit. What makes it worse is that there are no adapters yet, so I'm going to have to splice and tap or use positaps. Makes if feel even more hackish and I just don't like it. I also don't like having no bass!

Went to a few car audio shops last wk and was told the Audiocontrol LOC would work best for this car & the basic LOC's shouldn't be used in newer car audio systems.
Hi DMoney,

Did they say why? I understand some are better than others but I don't understand why one LOC would be preferred for new systems. Did all of the shops say this? I wonder if they were just trying to sell you a more expensive unit? I'll say, it is nice that it has remote power.

I guess I'll find out when I do the install this weekend. I'll try to get a few pics of the install and note any gotchas I run into. I'm trying to do all of this on the cheap and am waiting until I find good deals on craigslist. At the end of the day, this install will cost me around $225.:thumbsup: Just picked up 2 12" Alpine Type-R's in a ported box this morning. I have a huge Pioneer amp in my Ranger (can't remember the rating) that I plan to move to the Mustang. I'll find something smaller for the Ranger since I'm only pushing a 10" kicker there. Y'all see a Race Red GT bumpin' some Country, that'd be me :D

Really appreciate the input guys. Thank you!
IMG_20141121_100543.jpg
Sponsored