Sponsored

Alex Flores broke shift forks on camera

5OhSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT S/C PP2 - '15 GT PP - '18 GT
I watched his live instagram when he was taking the car to the dealer. Service Adviser told him that any car from October to January build date can have this issue. The forks during this production period had bubbles in the castings significantly reducing the strength of the forks. The issue was identified and resolved by Getrag at that point and the forks moving forward from that date should be fine. I can vouch for this by reporting I have done many shifts like Alex did in this video in my 18' with 0 problems. Build date is April 2018.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
I watched his live instagram when he was taking the car to the dealer. Service Adviser told him that any car from October to January build date can have this issue. The forks during this production period had bubbles in the castings significantly reducing the strength of the forks. The issue was identified and resolved by Getrag at that point and the forks moving forward from that date should be fine. I can vouch for this by reporting I have done many shifts like Alex did in this video in my 18' with 0 problems. Build date is April 2018.
Jan 1 or through Jan? Mine is a Jan 8 build.

Sponsored

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
Always and excuse and no one can drive.

The song goes on...

It’s not plausible that the car he bought had a batch of badly manufactured shift forks?

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
IF you know how to time your clutch engagement and shift point, theres zero need 'too throw all your weight' into it. Just sayin. Guys in the 60's 70's had to powershift cause they 'slick shifted' there trannys.
Not to mention they were usually banging Hurst shifters with positive stops on stout OEM transmissions with some pretty beefy linkage.

That stuff is almost indestructible.....

OP
OP
El_Centenario

El_Centenario

5L V8PWR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT Triple Yellow
Now that you mention it, do aftermarket shifters have "positive stops" in them to protect the forks from damage? I have been running a Barton shifter for about 50K miles and have never had any issues bangin gears at 7.5K RPM's. During install I found it strange I never noticed any "stops" built in like they had in the fox bodies with the T-5 transmission. How many of you guys out there have an early 2018 GT with an aftermarket shifter and currently have not broken a shift fork?

Not to mention they were usually banging Hurst shifters with positive stops on stout OEM transmissions with some pretty beefy linkage.

That stuff is almost indestructible.....

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Now that you mention it, do aftermarket shifters have "positive stops" in them to protect the forks from damage? I have been running a Barton shifter for about 50K miles and have never had any issues bangin gears at 7.5K RPM's. During install I found it strange I never noticed any "stops" built in like they had in the fox bodies with the T-5 transmission. How many of you guys out there have an early 2018 GT with an aftermarket shifter and currently have not broken a shift fork?
The MT82 has internal stops. At least the pre-2018 ones do. I’ve not touched/seen the MT82D4 internals.

Sponsored

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are they adjustable?
With a welder and grinder?

The main shift shaft has a notch in it where a shift stop pin rides in. The gap of the notch in the shift shaft determines the stop points. The shift stop inserts into the main case, vertically, at the 12-O'Clock position, towards the end of the main case.

I can't find any good pictures, but this will do:
*Note these are of a 2011-2017 MT82. You can see the thick steel shift forks. They had their own issues - the fork pads were fairly weak and loose; the fork fingers, although stiff axially, were prone to flexing laterally; this is why you will see upgraded MT82's with bronze fork pads and fingers with welded-on bracing in triangulation/trussing. Also note the return spring around the main shift shaft; that sucker is the reason you don't shift an MT-82 like most other manuals - you can't monkey-guide it in gear.
82rear.JPG
82rail.JPG
82shiftstop.JPG