El_Centenario

5L V8PWR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT Triple Yellow
Just though I'd share this video that has just been uploaded by Alex in regards to his new 2018 Mustang GT. I guess this problem is bigger than I thought. These new shift forks are really weak and will go out in the newer MT-82. I wonder if Ford will do a recall anytime soon.

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack

Amazing...definitely interested to see what happens next. The thing I like about Alex is that he FOCUSES on the issue and gets movement going on a fix or solution. I'd definitely follow along and see what happens if you're having trans issues. Frankly, I thought the whole thing has been overblown but I'm astounded now seeing it.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
That's nuts. I love my car, but it's had all kinds of weird things go wrong with it, things that shouldn't ever happen to a car that's mass produced like this. It's pretty apparent that there are parts within the MT-82 that just aren't up to snuff, and haven't been since they debuted the transmission. You'd like that after 8 years of building the thing, they'd have the issues fixed, but when you're constantly trying to take weight and cost out, you're going to sacrifice reliability and strength.

JR

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
It's pretty apparent that there are parts within the MT-82 that just aren't up to snuff, and haven't been since they debuted the transmission.
I think your '15 - 17 trans will be fine. The '18+ MT82 is totally different with a different gear set, different 1:1, and different input and output sets.

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
If my Bullitt order falls through, I may really give the 2019 Camaro SS a second look. I like the refresh...less transformer, more mature.

Sponsored

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
This is getting off topic but the 2019 Camaro SS is one of the ugliest cars ever made.
No one asked for opinions......and by the way, most on this forum said the same thing about the 2018 Mustang refresh.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
How fucking stupid. This new 5.0 and these shifting forks are an embarrassment. Add to that the Focus RS issues, and what the hell is going on?

With the new higher ups they'll point to these issues and say "see? we shouldn't be making high performance vehicles... let's invest in autonomous cars and CUVs!".

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
How fucking stupid. This new 5.0 and these shifting forks are an embarrassment. Add to that the Focus RS issues, and what the hell is going on?

With the new higher ups they'll point to these issues and say "see? we shouldn't be making high performance vehicles... let's invest in autonomous cars and CUVs!".
That was an assembly issue. Some RS 2.3's were getting Mustang 2.3 head gaskets and blocking a cooling passage.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
That was an assembly issue. Some RS 2.3's were getting Mustang 2.3 head gaskets and blocking a cooling passage.
That was never confirmed but only theorized by Jalopnik.

I feel Ford ended up knowing quickly after launch that the gasket they launched with was bad, and design and released a second gasket. There were multiple engine levels/part numbers, and the gasket would've been incorporated into one of the design levels. It's not like the launch vehicles were found with and without the acclaimed hole that is missing in the new gasket, indicating that there were in fact multiple design levels with an introduction point of the new gasket somewhere around August of 2017. Jalopnik took and ran with a change in the gasket as "misbuilds" due to a forum member theorizing.

Also, 2D matrices prevent misbuilds in plants for parts like this.

Sponsored

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
Blows my mind that

1. Ford doesnt just put the GT350 trans in these and punt the garbage MT82.
2. People still but MT82 cars with all the known issues no matter what year or gen MT82 it is they all suck.
3. 10 speed the world

Last edited:

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
That was never confirmed but only theorized by Jalopnik.

I feel Ford ended up knowing quickly after launch that the gasket they launched with was bad, and design and released a second gasket. There were multiple engine levels/part numbers, and the gasket would've been incorporated into one of the design levels. It's not like the launch vehicles were found with and without the acclaimed hole that is missing in the new gasket, indicating that there were in fact multiple design levels with an introduction point of the new gasket somewhere around August of 2017. Jalopnik took and ran with a change in the gasket as "misbuilds" due to a forum member theorizing.
Did some trolling around. Looks like you're right or at least on point with the mix and match and parts number debacle. "Wrong gasket" shouldn't be confused with "Mustang Ecoboost gasket." I do know one of my autocross people did have a motor let go and it was replaced under warranty and the failure was the gasket. It was completely cracked.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Blows my mind that

1. Ford doesnt just put the GT350 trans in these and punt the garbage MT82.
The TR3160 is 100% mechanically incompatible with the Coyote engine and the available gear sets from Tremec are a poor match to the Coyote.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Did some trolling around. Looks like you're right or at least on point with the mix and match and parts number debacle. "Wrong gasket" shouldn't be confused with "Mustang Ecoboost gasket." I do know one of my autocross people did have a motor let go and it was replaced under warranty and the failure was the gasket. It was completely cracked.
I had one as a daily... great car until mine died with 1800 miles on it. By that time I had already had it in twice for the coolant level dropping, and with the third time being the bottle being drained within 50 miles, I lemon'd it unfortunately.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
You can see in the video, he's gorilla-shifting like a moron. Look at the force he's putting into the shifter, he's using every bit of strength he has.

No wonder he broke the shift fork, he's watched Fast N Furious a few too many times.
Sponsored