Alcantara, alcantara everywhere

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
I like the idea that it’s different from CF, which I like but has been done to death now. I’m interested to see how this all turns out.
Sponsored

blitzburgh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BMW M2C
My M2 has a lot of alcantara on the doors etc. I have it on the steering wheel as well. So far in a year the steering wheel still looks exactly as it did new. The doors (don't get touched where the alcantara is) look perfect as well.

I bought an alcantara cleaning kit for the steering wheel but I haven't used it yet. I might try it this weekend.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
It also looks marvelous in all the cars Porsche, Lamborghini, McLaren, etc etc use it in… not to mention factory race cars and some of the most beautiful and fast cars on the planet, like Aston Martin.
1638888466302.jpeg
1638888516218.jpeg
It briefs well on paper. It's great for a luxury or super car that's hardly ever driven or used. As a daily, alcantara is not a good material. I've replaced my alcantara seats with leather and now my steering wheel with leather.

Obviously it's all personal preference, but alcantara collects grime (like on the steering wheel), retains smells and odors way worse than leather, is less moisture resistant, etc.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Looks hooptie to me. Back in the day we used those to cover the dash when it had cracks and bubbles, etc. Reminds me of that.

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
It briefs well on paper. It's great for a luxury or super car that's hardly ever driven or used. As a daily, alcantara is not a good material. I've replaced my alcantara seats with leather and now my steering wheel with leather.

Obviously it's all personal preference, but alcantara collects grime (like on the steering wheel), retains smells and odors way worse than leather, is less moisture resistant, etc.
Alcantara has more breathability, it absorbs moisture so it doesn’t slip on steering wheels when you sweat, it has a higher friction coefficient so it grips better when dry as well, and it doesn’t reflect sunlight (on your dash for example). There are a lot of reasons it’s used in race cars and leather isn’t. If you have your mustang for comfort I’m sure leather is cool but performance-wise, alcantara wins every day.

Side note, don’t mean to sound like I’m talking shit, if you like leather more power to you, a lot of people do and no hate or disrespect to them.

Sponsored

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Alcantara has more breathability, it absorbs moisture so it doesn’t slip on steering wheels when you sweat, it has a higher friction coefficient so it grips better when dry as well, and it doesn’t reflect sunlight (on your dash for example). There are a lot of reasons it’s used in race cars and leather isn’t. If you have your mustang for comfort I’m sure leather is cool but performance-wise, alcantara wins every day.

Side note, don’t mean to sound like I’m talking shit, if you like leather more power to you, a lot of people do and no hate or disrespect to them.
All agreed. Until you've driven the car 10,000 miles and the alcantara on the steering wheel is matted and slick.

When I cleaned mine, I wasn't sure if it was just grime or some of the black die from the material, but the stuff coming out of it was NAZTY.

With it all cleaned and fluffed up, I agree, and again, for something that's ONLY for racing applications or rarely gets driven, I would prefer it.

But for instance, the seat bolsters wear 1000x faster with alcantara than they do with leather. And unless you're the size of a midget or you want to do a circus contortion exhibit every time you get in and out of the car, it just doesn't hold up well.

I get why people like it and it's MY PERSONAL preference, but I'm just warning people who've never lived with it, it wears, (particularly on the seats) it matts down and collects sweat and oil from your skin (on the steering wheel) and becomes pretty much the same friction coefficient as leather.

I have the same complaint about black carpet. Black carpet shows EVERYTHING. It's almost as hard to keep clean as white carpet.

Salty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 MT-82, 2019 5.0 10R80
All agreed. Until you've driven the car 10,000 miles and the alcantara on the steering wheel is matted and slick.

When I cleaned mine, I wasn't sure if it was just grime or some of the black die from the material, but the stuff coming out of it was NAZTY.

With it all cleaned and fluffed up, I agree, and again, for something that's ONLY for racing applications or rarely gets driven, I would prefer it.

But for instance, the seat bolsters wear 1000x faster with alcantara than they do with leather. And unless you're the size of a midget or you want to do a circus contortion exhibit every time you get in and out of the car, it just doesn't hold up well.

I get why people like it and it's MY PERSONAL preference, but I'm just warning people who've never lived with it, it wears, (particularly on the seats) it matts down and collects sweat and oil from your skin (on the steering wheel) and becomes pretty much the same friction coefficient as leather.

I have the same complaint about black carpet. Black carpet shows EVERYTHING. It's almost as hard to keep clean as white carpet.
I would love a alcantara steering wheel but I know over time it would just wear out and get nasty like you said. I do think the first 2 items the OP mentioned would be ok since your really not touching those parts.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I would love a alcantara steering wheel but I know over time it would just wear out and get nasty like you said. I do think the first 2 items the OP mentioned would be ok since your really not touching those parts.
Alcantara lasts a long time if you take care of it. Some Sonax and a microfiber cloth will wipe away dirt. A soft bristle brass brush will raise the fibers.
It only gets nasty if you’re lazy and don’t care about maintaining it.

blitzburgh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BMW M2C
Alcantara lasts a long time if you take care of it. Some Sonax and a microfiber cloth will wipe away dirt. A soft bristle brass brush will raise the fibers.
It only gets nasty if you’re lazy and don’t care about maintaining it.
Ive only had my wheel for a year but the Alcantara looks same as new.

Sponsored

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016

Orange devil

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro,toyoda
Mens or womens? Details matter 🤣
Now that definitely changes the flavor 🤣 maybe they come in scratch n sniff? ,got take the skin boat to tuna town or hot dog flavored water.

Last edited:

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
I think it looks pretty cool. I personally cannot stand the shininess of the carbon fiber trim. I was hoping someone made a dry carbon fiber trim pieces but I haven't seen any yet. I might try this out.
Beith Performance can make matte carbon pieces. Like you, I dont like gloss CF. Beith did my steering wheel in Matte Carbon and Alcantara. He does other trim pieces as well.

8F7792D2-6EDF-488F-A96B-6ED30A588C95.jpeg

25A7C0FA-7B16-402B-AF80-16C7ED674220.jpeg

dhborden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Chassis# M1869, Iconic Silver
This stuff is a trend, just like carbon fiber interior parts are, If you like the look go for it. my take is it'll just end up dating the car in the long run. As this material /brand will get played out like everything always does. All that matters is if you like it.
The oem's use it, but only in high end trim and vehicles that won't see tons of kids or work use. Telling me it might not hold up long term unless very well care for. Time will tell.
Not entirely true. My 2011 Taurus SHO has alcantra and leather seats. Easier to clean than leather. Looks great and has lasted longer (104K miles) than the breathable foam lining between the cover and the seat cushions underneath.
Sponsored