Sponsored

Air Intake design & functionality - factory vs. X-aftermarket

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Many discussions on here regarding aftermarket CAI's (regardless of vendor, brand or type).

Let's discuss...more...

Isn't a metal CAI tube more susceptible to heat soak/saturation over a similar tube that is made of plastic/rubber components (OR even the factory air intake)?

Has anyone (consumer, vendor, manufacturer) actually documented factual air intake temp differences to compare factory air intake temps vs. any aftermarket CAI temps?

The whole idea and functionality of a CAI is that the incoming air intake temp remains cool to benefit the engine AND the air is being picked up from beyond the engine bay (or through front nose of vehicle). Using components that will trap hot air, cause heat soak or possibly dilute the cooler incoming air is defeating the purpose of a CAI if designed to work better than the engineered stock air intake system.

I don't see how having an exposed air filter (or boxed in air filter) still within the confines of the engine bay is beneficial - because it is getting heat soaked while the car is sitting at idle while in traffic or if car is susceptible to extreme warm climates.

I'd like to see real world air intake temps posted up starting with stock vs. "all others".

So a beneficial post to compare data would look like such:

Air Intake Sysyem: (stock or aftermarket brand)
Owners Location: (State)
Engine temp: (approx or exact if having temp gauge)
Outside air temp: (notate day or night)
Driving Environment: (city, highway and traffic pattern low/moderate/heavy)
Air Intake Temp:
(1) at idle
(2) while driving normal highway speeds
(3) drag racing at track (where applicable)
Sponsored

Nihil

Cowabunga
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Grey Goop
air intake = noise generators.

stevnoof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt base manual 3.31
I think people just like to hear the noise of the bpv and it has no real benefit unless you need a new pipe to fit an upgraded turbo.

Tomo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Mazda RX-7; 2016 Ecoboost PP O.W.
I don't understand the concept of a cold air intake on a turbo car.
What's not to understand? Colder air going in pre-turbo will result in a mutually colder air leaving it.

The delta doesn't change (the amount the turbo heats up the air) so, if you have 45* going in and you add 120. now you have 165* air, if you start with 70* Air then you still add 120, and now you have 190 degree.

Overly simplified, but still representative of the situation.

Sponsored

PamAndJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang
What's not to understand? Colder air going in pre-turbo will result in a mutually colder air leaving it.

The delta doesn't change (the amount the turbo heats up the air) so, if you have 45* going in and you add 120. now you have 165* air, if you start with 70* Air then you still add 120, and now you have 190 degree.

I have often wondered if this is the case. Or does the turbo operate at the same temp regardless of the incoming air temp? Like if you crank 100 degree aire into a 200 degree air it'll come out at 200 degrees, as would 50 degree air pumped into the same oven.

I'm sure there comes a point where the above does hold true, just not sure what that point is, and if it's achievable in the confines of an engine bay.

FWIW, I have an intake on my car. But, I'll admit that I did it for the sound.

Tune+

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang Automatic
All of these questions have been covered many, many, many times.

I would have a search through the forums, especially the post and documentations I made for MAPerformance when I did all of their testing.

There is also this post - http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39270

Bennington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot ecoboost

I see. Isn't the stock airbox a cold air intake already? I see inlet air temps at pretty much ambient unless it's been sitting a while. Then the temps drop rapidly with speed.

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
I've ran a JLT, stock, and MAP. I went fast with all of them. I like the MAP the best. The MAP gave me the best all around results in regards to heat soak, IAT, space in the engine bay, mounting method, and cost.

I am actually modifying my MAP intake today with a silicone connector right where it goes into the fender so it is easier to remove when I'm doing work in the engine bay.

That should make it perfect, IMO.

ranger11x

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
keith
Vehicle(s)
Base auto s550 magnetic
I have found that with my current setup (air raid intake tube,stock air box,cobb high flow air filter) after i did the GT grill swap and delete the my intake temps stay 1-7 degrees above ambient no matter how hard i push the car the grill swap/delete has had the largest effect on intake temps (though its the CAT you need to worry about) also it seems to give a ton more air flow then the stock ecoboost grill due to the larger opening and the triangle on the intake side to divert the air into the stock intake "scoop" on the front of the car
Sponsored