Sponsored

After a couple of days of severe cold (down to -30° F ambient)....

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I can say these michelin PS 4s are in one piece! No I did not drive the car, but it was kept in an unheated garage that was opened a few times. I was having mini panic attacks thinking these would crack wide open after reading that these tires shouldn't even be kept at anything below 20° F. But hey, now it's high 40s. -30, -50 with all the windchill crap, up to 40 in two days. Gotta love central America amiright?

I gotta wonder how any PP is doing sitting outside on a dealer's lot.
Sponsored

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I don't think a few days of cold is an issue. It would be if you drove it during those days. Storage would be in one place for a long period of time, months or more. Also, if the temp change is gradual cold to warm or warm to cold, it is also not an issue. So to answer your question about the cars on lots, they are not in any danger as long as they don't move them while below 20F. You should check the tire pressure though as that could have been affected by the changing temps.

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
My PP wheels are inside my house hoping for march to put them back on if not April. Ive seen guys drive with them on all winter.. crazy!

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
My PP wheels are inside my house hoping for march to put them back on if not April. Ive seen guys drive with them on all winter.. crazy!
Good idea to keep them in a more stable environment if you are not going to drive it at all for several months, even on above freezing days as they will get flat spots. Driving them below freezing is crazy for sure.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I bet a lot of people don't even know they have summer tires and they shouldn't be driven in freezing temps.

Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Michelin says if they are subjected to temps below 20° to let them warm up for 24 hours before driving on them. I remember seeing this last week while I was figuring out how expensive the rear tires will be... burn outs are addictive lol... not sure how much they have to warm up for those 24 hours.

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I read some horror stories om a corvette forum of guys getting cracked tires just from sitting, so I was paranoid lol. The weather did dump overnight. It went from high 20s down to -30 in a day. Fortunately the climb to 40/50 took 3 days, but the roads around me aren't doing too well. I've also read some owners sharing similar concerns as me, so I figured I'd post this up.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Michelin says if they are subjected to temps below 20° to let them warm up for 24 hours before driving on them. I remember seeing this last week while I was figuring out how expensive the rear tires will be... burn outs are addictive lol... not sure how much they have to warm up for those 24 hours.
To 40 degrees.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I read some horror stories om a corvette forum of guys getting cracked tires just from sitting, so I was paranoid lol. The weather did dump overnight. It went from high 20s down to -30 in a day. Fortunately the climb to 40/50 took 3 days, but the roads around me aren't doing too well. I've also read some owners sharing similar concerns as me, so I figured I'd post this up.
Did you say -30 F wind chill? The tires don't see the wind chill, only the actual temperature. Wind chill is something humans feel as the wind passes them and removes heat from the body. The tires don't produce their own heat, so they don't see a wind chill temp.

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Did you say -30 F wind chill? The tires don't see the wind chill, only the actual temperature. Wind chill is something humans feel as the wind passes them and removes heat from the body. The tires don't produce their own heat, so they don't see a wind chill temp.
-30 F ambient, -50 F wind chill.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
.....I was having mini panic attacks thinking these would crack wide open after reading that these tires shouldn't even be kept at anything below 20° F......
1339.gif

I've driven my Indy 500s all winter long, down to 7 degrees, and they were surprisingly great. I drove on the crap Pirelli P-Zero Max Performance tires through 6 winters, and while I never had an actual problem, the popping from the front end at first turn was really annoying, and they are just shitty tires in general.

The PS4s should be at least as good as the Indy 500s, so they should be fine on clear roads, down into the single digits. They don't last long enough to worry about cracking. And the tread technology has advanced a lot in the last 5 years.

I can't comment on -30 degrees though.

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I’ve had my BFG Sprt Comp 2 tires on this winter as well without issue. I think the coldest mornings have been around 10-15F on my commute. I tend to test the grip as I drive to work most days and I’ve been pleasantly surprised how well they grab even on cold days. Course it’s sideways city any time I want, I just don’t do anything too stupid and it’s all good. Also, I never drive it if there is any ice on the roads so that helps.

scottycameron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP1 Orange Fury
Had to drive my car this morning at -2, drove just fine. Snow/ice mode did great, just have to drive smart...
Sponsored