Affordable Header Back Exhaust

OP
OP

kris5597

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
In that case, I'd recommend the Magnaflows or Borlas in my original recommendation. You will love the volume.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
In that case, I'd recommend the Magnaflows or Borlas in my original recommendation. You will love the volume.
I might go Borla. I actually like a little bit more of a raspy tone, just don't want the tinny sound the stock mufflers have. From what I've heard, Borla has that more over the Magnaflows.

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium
Not a problem! Anything I can do to help a fellow S550 owner! I encourage people to try the Borla Muffler I linked below. This was the muffler I originally was going to go with. It should fit perfect like the magnaflow.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bor-40358/overview/

Kris
Hi Kris, thanks for providing some valuable exhaust info.
Not to go off subject but it's worth asking because it's cold and I don't want to lay on the freezing cold concrete right now.
So what is the diameter of the stock muffler outlet pipe (not the tip)?
I'm debating on trying to install a bigger and better exhaust tip onto the stock mufflers.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Not to go off subject but it's worth asking because it's cold and I don't want to lay on the freezing cold concrete right now.
I'm debating on trying to install a bigger and better exhaust tip onto the stock mufflers.
Pretty sure it's 2.5". Not 100% on that, though, might be 2.25".

Sponsored

bcdstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Met GT 6spd Convrt/50yr
Thanks for the tip. I went out today and had my local shop install the Borla and some tips that resemble Borla's. The sound is very good and deep. As for the volume that is just slightly louder than the stock mufflers with an x-pipe. There is no drone but at 1500 rpm and below the volume is quite deep so, driving in high gear at low speeds can get a bit boomy inside the cabin. I have rev'd it up some and the rasp I had with the stock mufflers is no more. Anything above 1600 rpm smooths out the tone. I think I am going to like it.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the tip. I went out today and had my local shop install the Borla and some tips that resemble Borla's. The sound is very good and deep. As for the volume that is just slightly louder than the stock mufflers with an x-pipe. There is no drone but at 1500 rpm and below the volume is quite deep so, driving in high gear at low speeds can get a bit boomy inside the cabin. I have rev'd it up some and the rasp I had with the stock mufflers is no more. Anything above 1600 rpm smooths out the tone. I think I am going to like it.
Thanks for the info! Technically the being boomy in the cabin is drone. I get the same with my X pipe at 1250 rpm only.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Interestingly, the Magnaflow Street Catback has 5x8 oval mufflers, similar (if not identical) to 12226.

OP
OP

kris5597

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
All stock piping after the resonator should be 2.5". Replacing the tips would only be for cosmetic.

Kris

ScottyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang GT Base
Magnaflow 11226 and h pipe

Well after hearing about the good experiences with this build I ended up going with the Magnaflow 11226 mufflers and some nice 4 inch stainless tips.

The sound was really good. if stock mufflers are a 1/10 in terms of volume and h pipe resonator delete with stock mufflers is about a 2/10 I'd say adding the Magnaflows kicked the volume up to about a 4/10 with a nice deep tone and no rasp throughout the rpm range.

My only issue was I had just a little bit of drone around 1,500 rpms. The tone was still great as it has that signature Magnaflow sound to it but the "boominess" inside the cabin was a little annoying. (I attribute this to the h-pipe as I don't think those with the x had any drone)

I took my car back to the shop and had some j pipes welded on, well the drone went away.. but I think they must have done a poor job welding as I now have some weird raspy rattle around 2500 rpm.

At this point I've cut up my stock exhaust enough so I decided to cut my losses and order the solo Mach xv instead. ( I plan to sell my h pipe as well as the magnaflow mufflers with tips in the classified section)

I still think this is a great set up for those that want to save some money but I'd recommend doing the Magnaflow mufflers with either the stock resonator or with the x pipe instead of the h.

Thanks again to Kris for starting this thread!

Cheers

Ps I have one video of a cold start that I will add as soon as I figure out how to upload an embedded video.

Last edited:

Sponsored

bcdstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Met GT 6spd Convrt/50yr
With regards to the drone, removing the sound pipe system seem to help with my system by reducing the drone some.

ScottyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang GT Base
With regards to the drone, removing the sound pipe system seem to help with my system by reducing the drone some.
I yanked that thing out awhile ago but I agree, unless its a completely stock system that sound tube does nothing but add unwanted drone to the cabin.

-Scott

OP
OP

kris5597

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Hey guys, I wanted to update the thread with some pictures of my header install and custom connection pipes.

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
Nice fab work on those pipes!

MoneyPit#53

Sheeple Shepherd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0
Hey guys, I wanted to update the thread with some pictures of my header install and custom connection pipes.
Hey Kris,

Any sound/video clips of the setup with the new long tubes?

-Nick
Sponsored