Affordable Header Back Exhaust

OP
OP

kris5597

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Just want to say thanks to the OP. I just did the same exhaust. Love the sound. Perfect for a convertible and no drone.
Your very welcome! Good to see another member enjoying this setup.
Sponsored

ScottyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang GT Base
Hey Guys,

Wanted to show off the catback that I put together. Rather than spending $1000+ on a catback of good sound quality, I decided to put something together myself. I have been welding and fabricating my own exhaust for years now on various vehicles I have owned. The 2015 Mustang GT catback piping is actually very nice with mandrel bends and dual 2.5" piping from the resonator to the rear mufflers, I wanted to maintain this. 3" is not necessary for the direction I am going. My exhaust consist of an x pipe/ resonator delete and I removed the factory mufflers and welded in two magnaflow mufflers that I carefully chose to fit in the factory muffler location. The idea was to retain as much of the stock piping as possible. After about an hour of designing the stock mufflers in solidworks and designing several different mufflers that I could purchase to replace the stocks with, I finally found a perfect muffler that will flow very well, fit perfectly, and sound amazing. This setup came out just as I was hoping it would. I finished off the catback with 4" 304 stainless tips that really set off the exhaust well.
I made different videos from two different devices just in case sound quality or picture quality was any better from one to the other.

Let me know what you guys think.

Kris
So would this be the equivalent of the Magnaflow Street system? In terms of sound and volume?

Very nice set up!

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Are any of the Borla or Magnaflow mufflers truly just a hair louder than stock? I wouldn't mind replacing my factory mufflers with something a little less tinny sounding, but don't really want more volume than my current setup (with X pipe resonator delete). Perforated glass packs are great for this, I just wonder what the sound delta will be.

OP
OP

kris5597

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
So would this be the equivalent of the Magnaflow Street system? In terms of sound and volume?

Very nice set up!
Yessir, except it would be 2.5" apposed to the 3" like the magnaflow system.

Are any of the Borla or Magnaflow mufflers truly just a hair louder than stock? I wouldn't mind replacing my factory mufflers with something a little less tinny sounding, but don't really want more volume than my current setup (with X pipe resonator delete). Perforated glass packs are great for this, I just wonder what the sound delta will be.
If you retain the factory resonator, these mufflers would probably be an excellent volume for slightly louder than stock. I did this swap with the intention that I would have long tube headers and did not want it to be too loud. Honestly, with the x pipe and mufflers, it could be a little louder for my taste. So long tubes should be perfect sound and volume with it.

Kris

RobMustang15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Automatic
Deciding between this or MBRP.

How does it sound in the upper RPM? I always hear that the MBRP sounds high and "motor cycle-ish" despite it having an H pipe....

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Yessir, except it would be 2.5" apposed to the 3" like the magnaflow system.

If you retain the factory resonator, these mufflers would probably be an excellent volume for slightly louder than stock. I did this swap with the intention that I would have long tube headers and did not want it to be too loud. Honestly, with the x pipe and mufflers, it could be a little louder for my taste. So long tubes should be perfect sound and volume with it.

Kris
Resonator is already gone, so that's an incremental increase over stock already. I'd just like a muffler that cleans up the tone compared to stock and doesn't increase volume much. It's great as a DD right now with the x-pipe.

OP
OP

kris5597

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Deciding between this or MBRP.

How does it sound in the upper RPM? I always hear that the MBRP sounds high and "motor cycle-ish" despite it having an H pipe....
I have never heard an MBRP in person, but from the videos, it sounds like garbage compared to mine.

Resonator is already gone, so that's an incremental increase over stock already. I'd just like a muffler that cleans up the tone compared to stock and doesn't increase volume much. It's great as a DD right now with the x-pipe.
Well, considering the stock muffler is a chambered muffler with terrible flow to maintain low volume, it's going to be hard to add a muffler that will be a small amount over stock, unless you get a pretty large muffler. But putting one in that location may be difficult. I can tell you what, I LOVE the way my car sounds. The volume is not loud. 1-10, I'd say its around a 4. 1 being stock and 10 is Roush lol.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

RobMustang15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Automatic
Thank you for the comparison.

I think I found my set up!!!

Will the $50/pair tips you use work fine with the Borla muffler that you mentioned you wanted to buy?

I used to have a Magnaflow on my 1987 Supra and loved the sound....but I always hear that Borla is awesome for V8's....decisions, decisions.

OP
OP

kris5597

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Lol good to know. I was looking at this one, might work: https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=13256
That muffler is 4 inches longer, the mufflers I used are literally the longest you can get when using the stock piping up to the muffler, even if replaced, I don't believe this would fit. I had to cut the tips a little shorter to get them to fit with my mufflers.

Thank you for the comparison.

I think I found my set up!!!

Will the $50/pair tips you use work fine with the Borla muffler that you mentioned you wanted to buy?

I used to have a Magnaflow on my 1987 Supra and loved the sound....but I always hear that Borla is awesome for V8's....decisions, decisions.
Awesome man! Yes, the tips should work just fine. I believe you would be very happy with either the Borla or Magnaflow. You will have to shorten the tip a little to get them to fit, but it's not bad at all. That's with either muffler.

Kris

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
That muffler is 4 inches longer, the mufflers I used are literally the longest you can get when using the stock piping up to the muffler, even if replaced, I don't believe this would fit. I had to cut the tips a little shorter to get them to fit with my mufflers.

Awesome man! Yes, the tips should work just fine. I believe you would be very happy with either the Borla or Magnaflow. You will have to shorten the tip a little to get them to fit, but it's not bad at all. That's with either muffler.

Kris
Whoops, meant this one (which is 4 inches shorter): https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=13216

OP
OP

kris5597

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Whoops, meant this one (which is 4 inches shorter): https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=13216
I think that muffler should work just fine then. It's hard to say how the volume and tone will sound compared to the perforated packed core I have on my mufflers vs this chambered muffler. Usually the chambered mufflers give off more of a "tingy" sound, which would be interesting paired with an x pipe that already creates rasp. If this is a "quieter" muffler, hopefully it's what your looking for.

Kris

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I think that muffler should work just fine then. It's hard to say how the volume and tone will sound compared to the perforated packed core I have on my mufflers vs this chambered muffler. Usually the chambered mufflers give off more of a "tingy" sound, which would be interesting paired with an x pipe that already creates rasp. If this is a "quieter" muffler, hopefully it's what your looking for.

Kris
Only one way to find out. It's selling for $68/each at most places, so it wouldn't be a huge investment if it didn't work out. My thoughts are that it's a chambered muffler, but with perforated tubes. That should take away the tinny sound of the chambered muffler. I think it's quieter than the straight through, packed muffler, but louder probably a little louder than stock. We shall see!

ScottyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang GT Base
Only one way to find out. It's selling for $68/each at most places, so it wouldn't be a huge investment if it didn't work out. My thoughts are that it's a chambered muffler, but with perforated tubes. That should take away the tinny sound of the chambered muffler. I think it's quieter than the straight through, packed muffler, but louder probably a little louder than stock. We shall see!
Let us know how it goes. I'm stuck between what Sinister and Kris got (magnaflow) and the Borla Pro XS.

I'd really like to see how the Borla Pro XS mufflers sound with a H pipe. The only video I could find on the web with the Pro XS mufflers was with a X pipe.

Also for those looking to do this a good tip option seems to be the magnaflow part 35136.

[ame]

This is with a V6 but it gives you an idea on how the tips look and for $35 a piece they seem to be a good deal.

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Let us know how it goes. I'm stuck between what Sinister and Kris got (magnaflow) and the Borla Pro XS.

I'd really like to see how the Borla Pro XS mufflers sound with a H pipe.

The only video I could find on the web was with a X pipe.

Also for those looking to do this a good tip option seems to be the magnaflow part 35136.

This is with a V6 but it gives you an idea on how the tips look and for $35 a piece they seem to be a good deal.
I just did the sound tube delete at lunch today, so now I probably want more sound :headbonk:.

Sound tube delete + X-pipe is roughly the same interior volume during acceleration as stock (with windows up), though a little different because it's more exhaust noise and less induction.
Sponsored