Sponsored

Advice on Tuning a 2016 Ecoboost Mustang

omelet1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Sonata 2.0T Limited
Hi,

I've spent some time researching getting a performance tune for my 2016 Ecoboost Premium w/ a manual transmission however given the amount of information out there it's a bit overwhelming and I apologize if these questions have been answered before.

As of now I'm leaning towards an air intake kit, a computer programmer, and an intercooler update. I've got the following questions:

1. In general where do you guys put the tuning computer? It looks like it has to be connected all the time so after looking around I'm not seeing a particularly good spot other than connect it to the center console USB port and leave it there.

2. Do you typically have to disconnect that computer to pass emission testing when you register your car every year? I live in Georgia and would prefer to have something that is emissions legal in all 50 states.

3. Premium or Regular fuel? I have a LONG 115 mile commute, so I've been using regular gas for now. Will not using premium defeat the point of doing this?

4. Fuel economy: In my research it appears that doing this will net about a 5% increase in fuel economy so just wondering if this was what you guys are seeing.

Below is one of many articles I've read and again apologize for probably asking questions that probably have already been answered it's just it's like an avalanche of information to dig through on this lol.

https://www.onallcylinders.com/2017...de-guide-making-the-most-of-your-2-3l-engine/
Sponsored

gnarlycaveman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
if you aren't going to use premium gas don't get the tune. You can get a intake and it doesn't require a tune. Most tuning devices fit in one of the air vents or will come with a suction cup.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
if you aren't going to use premium gas don't get the tune. You can get a intake and it doesn't require a tune. Most tuning devices fit in one of the air vents or will come with a suction cup.
You have more reading to do. :)

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/ford-racing-procal-tune.59463/
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/should-i-tune-a-stock-ecoboost-engine.144178/
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2017-ecoboost-tune-advice.140656/

There are plenty more in the 2.3 sub forum. But as gnarlycaveman said if your looking for performance forget about using regular gas. Honestly you really shouldn't be using regular in an untuned Ecoboost (I had a 15' EB and went though this whole conversation 5 years ago).

Most of what you are going to read is #1 intercooler. The stock was is crap, always has been. Can barely keep up with a stock motor much less a tuned one. The CAI and tune go together. CAI's that do not require a tune offer little performance improvement. They do look good though.

Once the tune is loaded the controller/scanner, etc. can be disconnected if you do not want to monitor engine performance on a constant basis. If you do there are a lot of ways of mounting them permanently. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
The best tune for the ecoboost is the 5.0 liter tune. It adds 160 hp instantly..

3oostdmstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
Hi,

I've spent some time researching getting a performance tune for my 2016 Ecoboost Premium w/ a manual transmission however given the amount of information out there it's a bit overwhelming and I apologize if these questions have been answered before.

As of now I'm leaning towards an air intake kit, a computer programmer, and an intercooler update. I've got the following questions:

1. In general where do you guys put the tuning computer? It looks like it has to be connected all the time so after looking around I'm not seeing a particularly good spot other than connect it to the center console USB port and leave it there.

2. Do you typically have to disconnect that computer to pass emission testing when you register your car every year? I live in Georgia and would prefer to have something that is emissions legal in all 50 states.

3. Premium or Regular fuel? I have a LONG 115 mile commute, so I've been using regular gas for now. Will not using premium defeat the point of doing this?

4. Fuel economy: In my research it appears that doing this will net about a 5% increase in fuel economy so just wondering if this was what you guys are seeing.

Below is one of many articles I've read and again apologize for probably asking questions that probably have already been answered it's just it's like an avalanche of information to dig through on this lol.

https://www.onallcylinders.com/2017...de-guide-making-the-most-of-your-2-3l-engine/
You should not be pumping 87 on the EB mustang to begin with. Pretty sharp power loss..and since youre asking about tuning that means you want power, that of which youre not fully getting out of the car in stock form.

As for tuning, if Im not mistaken, most require 91/ 93. There are plenty of threads on that on the 2.3T thread.

Sponsored

2016 GT/CS Laila

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4, 2018 Taurus

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I am a believer that the FP is probably the safest canned tune there is, but limited on what you can add. if you just drive it, and dont even want to swap intercoolers.

Just toss a FP tune, rock it as a daily.you need 91 + gas though. I purchase 93 at sams club/costco and runs great.

OP
OP

omelet1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Sonata 2.0T Limited
You should not be pumping 87 on the EB mustang to begin with. Pretty sharp power loss..and since youre asking about tuning that means you want power, that of which youre not fully getting out of the car in stock form.

As for tuning, if Im not mistaken, most require 91/ 93. There are plenty of threads on that on the 2.3T thread.

I'm not opposed to putting premium fuel in the Ecoboost I have. I'd like to point I did research the fuel prior to purchase and that after 5 years and 170,000 miles I've had multiple mechanics look at it and everyone is saying the engine is running fine and will last a long time. Now that being said, if I was wrong to do that and it'll lead to long term issues then let me know please. My ego won't be hurt and I'm just happy my Mustang has lasted this long.

The reason for the regular instead of premium is that life happened and I've had to do a 115 mile commute for work for the last 5 years. It adds up to 42,000 miles per year and mostly highway driving at 70mph. That commute is ending soon though and the Mustang is still going strong so planning on keeping it for now. Once the commute stops then I'd probably start putting premium in it and potentially do some upgrades. Upgrades to my Mustang coming up on 200,000 miles and has the trade in value of like twelve dollars lol.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
In my area 87 is 2.00 and 93 is like 3 bucks generally. So I was against a tune honestly. I found sams club (5 minutes up road from me) has 98 for 2.00 and 93 for 2.15 yesterday, the 87 is asme price as all competitors, but the 93 is WAY below neighboring stations, costco is same thing.

Due to this, I chose to tune my car. I didn't like idea of spending 1/3 more every week on fuel doing the same driving that I did before. ive put 20k on my ford perf tune using sams club with zero issue.

3oostdmstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
I'm not opposed to putting premium fuel in the Ecoboost I have. I'd like to point I did research the fuel prior to purchase and that after 5 years and 170,000 miles I've had multiple mechanics look at it and everyone is saying the engine is running fine and will last a long time. Now that being said, if I was wrong to do that and it'll lead to long term issues then let me know please. My ego won't be hurt and I'm just happy my Mustang has lasted this long.

The reason for the regular instead of premium is that life happened and I've had to do a 115 mile commute for work for the last 5 years. It adds up to 42,000 miles per year and mostly highway driving at 70mph. That commute is ending soon though and the Mustang is still going strong so planning on keeping it for now. Once the commute stops then I'd probably start putting premium in it and potentially do some upgrades. Upgrades to my Mustang coming up on 200,000 miles and has the trade in value of like twelve dollars lol.
You have 170,000 miles in your EB? damn.
Im just speaking in terms of performance. The car doesnt make its rated HP on 87. In terms of reliability, Im not sure.
I bought my '16 EB with 10,000 in the odometer and since Ive only pumped 93. Im at 86K miles now. Its plenty fast in stock for me. An intercooler as your first mod wouldnt hurt.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
1. In general where do you guys put the tuning computer? It looks like it has to be connected all the time
what dumb-ass tuner are you looking at that requires this?

2. Do you typically have to disconnect that computer to pass emission testing
Unless your downpipe is missing the cats, or your tune is by some moron, the tune doesn't effect emissions.

OP
OP

omelet1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Sonata 2.0T Limited
You have 170,000 miles in your EB? damn.
Im just speaking in terms of performance. The car doesnt make its rated HP on 87. In terms of reliability, Im not sure.
I bought my '16 EB with 10,000 in the odometer and since Ive only pumped 93. Im at 86K miles now. Its plenty fast in stock for me. An intercooler as your first mod wouldnt hurt.
I'm at the point where I don't know how long it'll last passing 170,000 miles but it's still going strong. Had it detailed last week and am doing some upgrades like updating the navigation and sync.

Noted on the intercooler and will read through the threads here. What about a cold air intake if I don't do a tune?

Last edited:

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
cold air intake does no benefit for ya. toss a KN high flow filter from auto zone, 40-50 bucks. the stock airbox is proven to be the best. but will benefit with a high flow filter, but honestly you have 170k miles, I would just keep doing what your doing.

OP
OP

omelet1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Sonata 2.0T Limited
So took another look at the advice on this thread and it seems with my 40,000 mile a year commute and using regular gas that for now I should not do a tune but replace the intercooler and get a K&N air filter which combined should make the Mustang a bit peppier. I'm going to spend some time reading through the various threads on this this weekend but let me know if I'm in the ballpark here please?

The commute ends in 8 months by the way, so at that point when I'm not driving 42,000 miles a year I could do more and use premium over regular gas. Here are the two options I'm seeing for a K&N air filter and intercooler.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wgt-200001073/overview/make/ford
https://www.knfilters.com/ford/mustang/2.3l-l4-gas/2016/

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
frankly I'd do the tune now (buy 2 maps - eg. Unleashed for example has 'power packs' that make the 2nd tune nearly free) and get an 87 tune and a 93 tune and just run with the 87 for now. The K&N won't hurt anything but isn't going to help and the IC is only needed if you want to go to the track or want lower temps just because.
Sponsored