Sponsored

Advancetrac Sport Mode

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
It's a reduction in the nanny traction control system is all it does. Hold it for 8 seconds and it turns off all the nanny's. It's certainly no manual/base equivalent to track/race mode on the premium.
Sponsored

Less Weight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
GT base auto:

- Tap the traction control button once - "Traction control off"

- Quickly tap the traction control button twice - "AdvanceTrac SPORT MODE"

- Press and hold the traction control button for 8 seconds - "AdvanceTrac off"

Now here is the question. What the heck is the difference between them?

From my experience, simply pressing the button once disables ALL nannies. I can roast the rear tires just by mashing the gas pedal from a full stop. No need to even use power braking methods to raise up the RPMs before release.

The double tap method allows you to drive in a spirited manner and will even allow the car to fishtail the rear for a bit before reeling it back in line. I find this mode to be quite seamless and allows for the ability to be quite aggressive before intervening.

The press and hold for 8 seconds method is one I frankly haven't experimented with so any input on that from someone who knows would be nice.

Also, I find it very odd that disabling all nannies is simply done by a single click while more safety net oriented modes are actuated by more involved methods.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
This must be for base models only.

I've tried all the listed and even other button combinations, while moving and while stopped, and my car does not have an "AdvanceTrac Sport Mode". This must be for base models to have a sport mode similar to premium drive modes.

GT base auto:

From my experience, simply pressing the button once disables ALL nannies. I can roast the rear tires just by mashing the gas pedal from a full stop. No need to even use power braking methods to raise up the RPMs before release.

The double tap method allows you to drive in a spirited manner and will even allow the car to fishtail the rear for a bit before reeling it back in line. I find this mode to be quite seamless and allows for the ability to be quite aggressive before intervening.

The press and hold for 8 seconds method is one I frankly haven't experimented with so any input on that from someone who knows would be nice.

Also, I find it very odd that disabling all nannies is simply done by a single click while more safety net oriented modes are actuated by more involved methods.
I believe traction control is separate from AdvanceTrac, which is more like stability control. I think you answered your own question though. "Advancetrac sport" will allow some more rear end fun than full nannies. Pressing it once will turn off traction control but not AdvanceTrac.

Pressing and holding will completely turn off AdvanceTrac, zero nannies.

When doing donuts I still had some intervention with AdvanceTrac on, even with traction control off. Turned both off and no more intervention.

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
I find that when driving my car in sport mode even with the nannies on, the car is still very loose. I have had the car sideways in a big way on a couple of occasions on wet roads with traction control ON.

So it's obviously quite a lenient system or a little slow to react. Are people are saying AdvanceTrac is a half way between ON and OFF??

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Very informative thread as I was a little confused about this myself. I attended a track event and while on the skidpad I "accidently" made a huge cloud
of tire smoke. After forcefully removing my :D there was a little warning about advancetrac and to check the owner's manual.

I don't think I turned off TC off though as it was one of my first event's after I bought the car, the tires sucked and I knew it. We were supposed to be
doing car control exercises which I clearly failed :lol:. The Instructors loved it though.

That led me to believe that the TC or AdvanceTrac had malfunctioned as the car whipping around was pretty violent. I'll have to try it again.

However, when I was at Sonoma Raceway which is a track that eats cars up (I've seen it happen) I ran it with the TC on. During car control exercises
through SimRaceway @ Sonoma, the Instructors asked us to do a few runs with TC on. We did the exercises and he commented to all us Mustang guys
(there were a few of us) that he was surprised that all of us had a lot of rear end movement for having the nannies on.

His response and my first experience listed above leads me to believe that the system is not that intrusive. I'm sure individual results vary though.

Slightly off tangent thought; when I run at a track like Thunder Hill that features wide run off areas I typically turn the TC off (less danger).
If I can ever get out to Laguna Seca I'll definitely run it with AdvanceTRAC on.

These are just my experiences and I am in no way an expert on the subject. I'll keep an eye on this thread and read up on it more. Next time I'm on the
skid pad or at an Auto-X I'll pay more attention to it as well.

Sponsored

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I find that when driving my car in sport mode even with the nannies on, the car is still very loose. I have had the car sideways in a big way on a couple of occasions on wet roads with traction control ON.

So it's obviously quite a lenient system or a little slow to react. Are people are saying AdvanceTrac is a half way between ON and OFF??
if you're still stock in the rear, you'll get A LOT of wheel hop and lost traction, I nearly spun mine out several times with all the nanny's on...it saved my skin, twice. The IRS in these cars needs a lot of help, I applied many of Steeda's goodies and the car lost it's desire to go ape shit and spin out.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
So why do we need a forum to dicuss topics concerning our mustangs if the answer is going to be...

Originally Posted by AR306
It's in the owners manual.
Because for much of the time it appears that the idea of looking in the Owner Manual simply didn't occur to the questioner.

Because for questions that an answer could reasonably be found in the Owner Manual, the questioner should have at least made an attempt on his own. Enough ambition to at least put the iPhone down, get up off the couch, and go see if the O.M. has anything at all to say about it.

Maybe we can just stay with Mustang vs Camaro/challenger?
Those discussions are an even worse waste of time than doing Owner Manual lookups for people who are too lazy to even try to do their own.

Norm

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
GT base auto:

-Traction control off: Means it doesn't intervene in tire slippage and any traction events. The other "nannies" and safety features of the car are still intact and if the car senses a spin out, or icy conditions, it will still "right the car", using the systems on board.

-AdvanceTrac SPORT MODE: Is the same exact thing as above, but the "nannies" that control the car are relaxed, allowing the driver to step the back end out, or play with the car... to a certain degree, BEFORE the nannies kick in, and stop you from doing something too stupid.

-AdvanceTrac off: Is none of that above. It is the most direct path to your Mustang. Your car can, & most likely will get away from you in this "nanny" free mode. Be Warned!

:ford:

Last edited:

Less Weight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I believe traction control is separate from AdvanceTrac, which is more like stability control. I think you answered your own question though. "Advancetrac sport" will allow some more rear end fun than full nannies. Pressing it once will turn off traction control but not AdvanceTrac.

Pressing and holding will completely turn off AdvanceTrac, zero nannies.

When doing donuts I still had some intervention with AdvanceTrac on, even with traction control off. Turned both off and no more intervention.
-Traction control off: Means it doesn't intervene in tire slippage and any traction events. The other "nannies" and safety features of the car are still intact and if the car senses a spin out, or icy conditions, it will still "right the car", using the systems on board.

-AdvanceTrac SPORT MODE: Is the same exact thing as above, but the "nannies" that control the car are relaxed, allowing the driver to step the back end out, or play with the car... to a certain degree, BEFORE the nannies kick in, and stop you from doing something too stupid.

-AdvanceTrac off: Is none of that above. It is the most direct path to your Mustang. Your car can, & most likely will get away from you in this "nanny" free mode. Be Warned!
Honestly, the traction control off is almost as hands off in regards to intervention as completely disabling all systems. I find the best way to have fun while still maintaining a safety net is AdvanceTrac off mode. Unless your on the track, avoid the other two modes. :D

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Could it? Possibly.

Is it 'most likely' that it would? Not if you know how to stay within the lowest limit of your skill set, car capability, and driving conditions, and given that you have some sense of when you're approaching whichever/wherever that lowest limit is. IOW, no different from the way driving always used to be, back when driving with only your own driving and car control skills to rely on wasn't something you were supposed to be afraid of doing.

Personally, I'm not nearly as comfortable with the idea of unexpected nanny intervention than I am in my own ability to keep the poo it hopes to save me from, from happening in the first place. It's typically going to amount to a distraction I can do without. Been there.

Honestly, the traction control off is almost as hands off in regards to intervention as completely disabling all systems. I find the best way to have fun while still maintaining a safety net is AdvanceTrac off mode. Unless your on the track, avoid the other two modes. :D
I don't think you're driving anywhere near hard enough for AdvanceTrac's presence or absence to matter. Which is probably a good thing in and of itself.

Norm

Sponsored

Less Weight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I don't think you're driving anywhere near hard enough for AdvanceTrac's presence or absence to matter. Which is probably a good thing in and of itself.

Norm
Assuming a bit much, aren't we?

Perhaps your assessment may apply to a large percentage of Mustang owners but it most certainly does not apply to me. I've owned modded vehicles with limits of adhesion substantially higher than this car. More importantly than that, they did NOT have traction control or any other driver aids and I was able to drive them to their absolute limit and when that limit was surpassed, I was able to reel them back in line. Why? Because they were light, tight, balanced and well sorted machines, all of which this car is not.

So for you to assume that I'm not driving hard enough, one way or another, to notice intervention, is presumptuous on your part, to say the least. It is child's play to reach the limits of this car as it is so primitive and unruly in nature (I have a base model) that its limits of cornering adhesion are realized without much effort. Depending on the characteristics of the corner, it will either under steer like the nose-heavy fat pig it is, or snap over steer without warning. During the first month or so, I most certainly did notice the intervention of nannies when driving on the limit but then modified my driving style to drive as hard as possible while remaining under the threshold of intervention, which proved more fluid, as every time the nannies intervened the flow of spirited driving would be interrupted in such an artificial manner which felt counterintuitive to correcting the car my self.

I could simply disable all safety oriented systems and be fine with catching mishaps 95% of the time, but until I at least perform some suspension mods, I'd rather not. I've driven family sedans with more composed suspension than this car in stock form, and none of those had 435hp powering the rear wheels. ;)

Granted, all of my previous cars were modded so it is an unfair comparison to judge this car's shortcomings against fully modified machines but, I will say, comparing stock to stock, this car, by a substantial margin, is the one most in need of modification. The rubbery floaty feel in the rear has no rhyme or rhythm to it, which is the most concerning aspect of this car.

Simply put, I can handle a sloppy car with no nannies but to have a suspension belonging to a minivan strapped to a big V8 is a mistake on Ford's part. I know I bought that base car but damn, this car's suspension borders on the ludicrous. I'm not to worried about it though, as after mods, I'm certain it will be much more to my liking.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
[MENTION=20461]Less Weight[/MENTION] - I suggest adding a BMR cradle lockout and Steeda rear shock mounts. That should do a lot to get rid of the rubbery IRS. You might need the full gambit of stuff to rid it completely but I'd wager those two things will improve it 75%. The cradle movement is the biggest shortcoming of this car imo and yes I have the Base GT and the cradle movement was horrible. Erratic handling at the limit, etc. etc. Plus the shock mounts will help the rear shock from binding, which will make it feel more composed overall. There are other areas of deflection but these two modifications can help a lot.

Less Weight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
[MENTION=20461]Less Weight[/MENTION] - I suggest adding a BMR cradle lockout and Steeda rear shock mounts. That should do a lot to get rid of the rubbery IRS. You might need the full gambit of stuff to rid it completely but I'd wager those two things will improve it 75%. The cradle movement is the biggest shortcoming of this car imo and yes I have the Base GT and the cradle movement was horrible. Erratic handling at the limit, etc. etc. Plus the shock mounts will help the rear shock from binding, which will make it feel more composed overall. There are other areas of deflection but these two modifications can help a lot.
Thanks for the recommendations, man; Much appreciated. I'll be sure to look into these parts once I'm ready to install new shocks/springs so that I can rip everything apart one time and be done with it.

Warhead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Just to add, TRACK mode on the premium models seems to be sport mode without traction control. TRACK mode leaves AdvanceTrac ON, though.

bigjohns97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT 401a M6 RR
Just to add, TRACK mode on the premium models seems to be sport mode without traction control. TRACK mode leaves AdvanceTrac ON, though.
This is what i was wondering, I still have yet to really fully disable AT all the way, i just cruise around in track mode and the car is quick enough for me while still having a little bit of nanny involved.

One day i will try turning AT all the way off to see what the difference is (this is how i ran my old 2011 GT) and I never had an issue with it.
Sponsored