Adaptive Cruise Control

OWU95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Thoughts on Adaptive Cruise

Hi,

I don't have a Mustang (but I'm an Iacocca fan, does that count? :) but I figured I would reply because I've done some consumer research into adaptive cruise.

Some posters have questioned the value. It is still an expensive option. However, I drive Phoenix to Tucson and Phoenix to Los Angeles regularly and, depending up the traffic, it would be a godsend. Regular cruise is all but unusable unless you enjoy constantly pressing the 'Cancel' and 'Resume' buttons.

I'm impressed that the Mustang will have it with a manual transmission, not even Porsche offers adaptive cruise with a manual.

Anyway, I've decided that I really want it on my next car, so I've been test-driving different system. Yesterday, I stopped at the Scottsdale Lexus dealer and was told they have exactly Zero cars on the lot with adaptive cruise. They said their buyers tend not to want it because the braking freaks them out. It sounded liked the intervention was pretty aggressive.

Then I wandered over to Penske Auto Mall (if you're ever in Scottsdale they have an amazing string of dealerships and a 3rd Saturday Cars/Coffee event that's awesome). It was a slow day and I’m friendly with one of the Audi salesman. We went for a spin in a 2014 A6 TDI with adaptive cruise.

It was wonderful. We got on the 101 outerbelt, I set the cruise at 85 (flow of traffic is about 75). The system sense the truck about 75 yard in front of us, kept us at a nice distance. I changed lanes and the Audi very gradually started picking up speed. I changed lanes again to end up behind another car and – rather than hammer the brakes, the Audi coasted nicely to a safe distance. It lowers your blood pressure.

While my wife has an S5 (hence the Audi relationship), my daily drive is a Honda Element so I'm obviously not overly-geeked out on car tech. But if I had this feature I might never touch the pedals. It’s pretty sweet. If you can’t test drive a 2015 Mustang yet, go elsewhere and at least test drive one of it’s cool features.

Cheers,

Jeff Kluve
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Sponsored

Papaya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Holger
Vehicle(s)
F150 2.7 EcoBoost
Again someone who lives close to no snow at all. You can't drive ACC with the front snow or mud covered. There are so many issues with it, that I did not get the ACC but everything else in my order. (If my order ever get build.) And thinking that you do not have to put a foot on the brakes on the HWY is the wrong thing to think about ACC! I hope you have a life insurance!

veeATE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Hi,

I don't have a Mustang (but I'm an Iacocca fan, does that count? :) but I figured I would reply because I've done some consumer research into adaptive cruise.

Some posters have questioned the value. It is still an expensive option. However, I drive Phoenix to Tucson and Phoenix to Los Angeles regularly and, depending up the traffic, it would be a godsend. Regular cruise is all but unusable unless you enjoy constantly pressing the 'Cancel' and 'Resume' buttons.

I'm impressed that the Mustang will have it with a manual transmission, not even Porsche offers adaptive cruise with a manual.

Anyway, I've decided that I really want it on my next car, so I've been test-driving different system. Yesterday, I stopped at the Scottsdale Lexus dealer and was told they have exactly Zero cars on the lot with adaptive cruise. They said their buyers tend not to want it because the braking freaks them out. It sounded liked the intervention was pretty aggressive.

Then I wandered over to Penske Auto Mall (if you're ever in Scottsdale they have an amazing string of dealerships and a 3rd Saturday Cars/Coffee event that's awesome). It was a slow day and I’m friendly with one of the Audi salesman. We went for a spin in a 2014 A6 TDI with adaptive cruise.

It was wonderful. We got on the 101 outerbelt, I set the cruise at 85 (flow of traffic is about 75). The system sense the truck about 75 yard in front of us, kept us at a nice distance. I changed lanes and the Audi very gradually started picking up speed. I changed lanes again to end up behind another car and – rather than hammer the brakes, the Audi coasted nicely to a safe distance. It lowers your blood pressure.

While my wife has an S5 (hence the Audi relationship), my daily drive is a Honda Element so I'm obviously not overly-geeked out on car tech. But if I had this feature I might never touch the pedals. It’s pretty sweet. If you can’t test drive a 2015 Mustang yet, go elsewhere and at least test drive one of it’s cool features.

Cheers,

Jeff Kluve
Paradise Valley, Arizona
There is no "aggressive braking" - it works smoothly from when I tried it on my car. With the 5.0 having so much power, you can leave it in 5th or 6th gear cruising at highway speeds and not worry about shifting (assuming traffic flow is decent).

Honestly though I would fall asleep if I was travelling from Phoenix to LA on cruise control, on those long distance trips I like to be in full control which helps me stay awake, entertained, and more aware of my surroundings.

Jimdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado and R32 GTR
ACC & collision detection are great ideas. If people stop crashing into each other govt will stop forcing stricter safety standards... saving us all money & weight.

KP6Five

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KP
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 5.0L Race Red
Kind of entertaining to see everyone's opinion on this. However I used mine for the first time yesterday in traffic and I thought it was amazing. I could adjust it to stay further back or get closer. Had the cruise set to 70 and while following behind a car I was at around 60. When they moved over it went right up to 70 and I didn't touch it. When I would come up behind a car it would keep the distance I put in and slow me down to that speed. Definitely keep you from getting a following to close ticket. lol Technology is awesome! I ordered mine loaded with every option I could get. I have enjoyed tinkering with all the gadgets. :thumbsup:

Sponsored

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
Kind of entertaining to see everyone's opinion on this. However I used mine for the first time yesterday in traffic and I thought it was amazing. I could adjust it to stay further back or get closer. Had the cruise set to 70 and while following behind a car I was at around 60. When they moved over it went right up to 70 and I didn't touch it. When I would come up behind a car it would keep the distance I put in and slow me down to that speed. Definitely keep you from getting a following to close ticket. lol Technology is awesome! I ordered mine loaded with every option I could get. I have enjoyed tinkering with all the gadgets. :thumbsup:
Yea i am like the person above, could have bought my car from a dealership in Canada would have had it by now, but did not have ACC, So my dealer found out the price for me and he managed to get it for me for only ÂŁ400 $550 so went for a factory build with all the tech. for that price, could not say no.

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
Why do you keep resurrecting multi-year old threads?
Sponsored