Active exhaust: yay or nay?

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The stock exhaust has next to no volume. Sure it’s more volume than probably any other car out there that stock but it very subdued. Even the Dodge 392 models sound throaty on start up. The AE is just and entry into the sound. Roush and Borla Corsa MBRP now that’s straight loud there.
Well we all have different ears, but I would say the cold start sounds great and I can hear a ton of volume with the windows down. With them up not so much. But you're talking to someone who's owned mostly V6 and I4 cars their whole life, so everything is relative I suppose.
Sponsored

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
The stock exhaust has next to no volume. Sure it’s more volume than probably any other car out there that stock but it very subdued.
You must be hard of hearing. The stock exhaust sounds perfect. Yes you can put aftermarket exhausts on and many just sound LOUD. And LOUD is annoying as hell. There's a difference between good sound and being loud. But saying the stock exhaust has "no volume", I guess means it's not annoying loud, which is a good thing.

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
I had a 2018 Mustang GT, with no active exhaust. Then I started looking into getting the exhaust replaced; looking at the usual culprits (Borla, Corsa, etcetera).
Then I had to consider, axel back, cat back, and all the other backs - LOL. In short, even after listening to videos and even listening to cars in person, I wanted a balanced tone. But, once the exhaust is on the car, you are stuck with it till you replace it.

In short, later in 2018, the Mustang GT was available with active exhaust; I traded for it. I love having the setting for quiet (between 21:00 - 09:00. After those hours, I adjust the active exhaust, depending on my mood

:like:

ALLSTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda Accord LX 5MT, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2
I just wish there was a way to have Loud Start. Kinda like Quiet Start...but loud.

I find that there are more cracks and pops in sport mode compared to track mode.

Track mode makes dank noises.

Sponsored

FAST FRED

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 ROUSH,2019 GT350R,2021 GT500
I have a 2019 GT with A/E and resonator delete. To me it sounds perfect for a stock Mustang.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
To my ears the stock exhaust is a bit quieter than AE on normal mode. it also seems a little tinny. I had done a side by side comparison when I was looking to buy mine. Not a scientific test, but it did easily convince me to get AE which also has multiple modes for louder or quiet mode. if you want to save a little money get the stock as it is acceptable. I do think the AE is worth every penny unless you want to go super loud.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
What does the active exhaust do in case of an electrical failure (defective sensor, blown fuse, whatever)? Will the valves default to quiet (i.e. closed)? Or will they remain in whatever position they happened to be previously in?
If a mechanical problem (dirt, rust, etc.) prevents the valves from closing or opening, will the BCM know about it and throw an error code?

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Most valved exhausts default to fully open (aided by springs), to avoid excessive back-pressure at higher rpm. That's why even quiet mode opens the valves at 'x' rpm (and/or 'x' throttle position). Somebody could easily verify that on an AE equipped Mustang with engine off, since the valves are visible from behind.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
What does the active exhaust do in case of an electrical failure (defective sensor, blown fuse, whatever)? Will the valves default to quiet (i.e. closed)? Or will they remain in whatever position they happened to be previously in?
If a mechanical problem (dirt, rust, etc.) prevents the valves from closing or opening, will the BCM know about it and throw an error code?
I have seen a couple people mentioning some error code associated with AE. Can't remember exactly what the cause/fix was, but I think it was connection based.

Sponsored

Dan243

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I like my roush catback to be loud as possible so I do not want active exhaust.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Most valved exhausts default to fully open (aided by springs), to avoid excessive back-pressure at higher rpm.
Hmm... I'm not sure I like that. Defaulting to a mode that isn't road legal doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
One slight electrical glitch and you're stranded (or subject to a hefty fine, if you decide to take the risk).
Screenshot-2020-05-07-at-08-30-18.png

bdm219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1, 401A, AE, B&O
Hmm... I'm not sure I like that. Defaulting to a mode that isn't road legal doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
One slight electrical glitch and you're stranded (or subject to a hefty fine, if you decide to take the risk).
Screenshot-2020-05-07-at-08-30-18.png
LOL!!!! The things that people worry about

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
LOL!!!! The things that people worry about
You'd get booted off at either Laguna Seca or Lime Rock Park if your car got caught over the decibel limit by the sound meter, and you would not be given any refund on your HPDE entry fee.

Even too much 'bark' on cold startup will get you labeled as 'that guy' in apartment complexes, condominiums, and neighborhoods with overbearing HOAs.

I'm all for cars having some 'voice', provided it can be kept reasonable for the surroundings (including time-of-day considerations).

Norm
Sponsored