About 1969 mustang

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost, Rapid Red Premium
I'm a carb fan on old stuff for the most part, but I'm done with points. Been setting points since I was a kid and EI is wayyyyyyyy better imho. And yes I know it can strand you, but so can points unless you carry a spare set and tools everywhere you go....
Naw, just a couple screwdrivers, emery board and matchstick cover/business card will get you home with points, but EL is for sure better.

BD
Sponsored

Deleted member 69033

Naw, just a couple screwdrivers, emery board and matchstick cover/business card will get you home with points, but EL is for sure better.

BD
Yeah... Tools. That's what I said. Lol. Unless you randomly carry that stuff in your pocket....

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Yeah... Tools. That's what I said. Lol. Unless you randomly carry that stuff in your pocket....
I always have a basic tool kit in all my cars. Just part of being a mechanic all my life as a career. :)

BD

Deleted member 69033

I always have a basic tool kit in all my cars. Just part of being a mechanic all my life as a career. :)

BD
Honestly, yeah, I do in my old stuff. Not new stuff tho. Only a mechanic ten years thru college and during summers after. That must be the difference.....

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
the biggest headache with that is because the dist is so c lose to the computer you need to do some work to prevent RFI turning the computer off. I am having to ground out the air cleaner cover now, last weak point. I've got a few hundred miles without issue with no air cleaner, but the second it goes back on, it starts tripping hte computer every couple of minutes.
Wow. Any others out there with better system

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
I used an MSD box on my old Firebird and it worked great.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
Wow. Any others out there with better system
yeah, any of the other ones. sniper is the only one with the ECM on the front of the unit. FiTech it is seperate, so you can mount hte computer in your glove box or under a seat, away from other electronics.

I had to go aftermarket dizzy and ignition box, all hyperspark. I could probably also use with going with a newer alternator to reduce RFI thrown off by it.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Honestly, yeah, I do in my old stuff. Not new stuff tho. Only a mechanic ten years thru college and during summers after. That must be the difference.....
That and 50 years of tools accumulated make it easy to build basic kits without any added costs.

BD

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
It certainly is not a good design to have the ECM attached to the distributor housing or in close proximity of it indeed.

BD

Sponsored

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
It certainly is not a good design to have the ECM attached to the distributor housing or in close proximity of it indeed.

BD
it is attached to the throttle body housing. being that most aftermarket things like this are designed for chevy's, well. on a Chevy small block, the dizzy is behind the carb, so opposiute side of the throttle body than the computer. but Ford dizzy is in front...hence the issue.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
it is attached to the throttle body housing. being that most aftermarket things like this are designed for chevy's, well. on a Chevy small block, the dizzy is behind the carb, so opposiute side of the throttle body than the computer. but Ford dizzy is in front...hence the issue.
Ok, was not sure exactly where the ECM was mounted at but they should have made it so it could be attached on either front or back of the throttle body housing to solve the issue of RF interference.

BD

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
My 69 race car was doing 1.40 at Laguna with minimal suspension work
DB6FE092-99FA-48C2-B8BA-55EE4555F91E.png
What you consider minimal.
Rool cage, strut bracing, frame connectors, different shocks, spring, anti roll bars, different brakes.
Thinking your idea of minimal is Interesting.
Nice car, tho.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Look into Classic Performance Products. They have a really nice complete setup that won’t break the bank. That’s the route I’m going on my 69. I didn’t feel like carving up the car for a coyote swap or 4 link setup. I’ll probably build cleveland that’s in it. On the fence for efi or not.

https://www.classicperform.com/
Sponsored