Sponsored

Question about buying a 1998 cat delete Mustang.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; there is a 1998 mustang for sale near me. The seller told me the cats are gone and it does not have a tune. I am thinking to pass on the car because of the deleted cats. I gather from reading this is done to get more performance. I guess from less restriction. Am I correct being concerned?
Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
With that year I wouldn’t be concerned. That was really common back then. Just replace them if need be. Funny thing is, the removals didn’t really make much difference at all.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
I believe that year 4.6 is not the PI engine. Not much you can do to improve performance.
Supercharger may get you 350 rhp

OP
OP
sk47

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello;
I believe that year 4.6 is not the PI engine. Not much you can do to improve performance.
Supercharger may get you 350 rhp
Hello; thanks for the info. Right now I am more concerned about potential issues of the cats being removed. I am not sure about inspections for newly purchased vehicles in TN. I do not have to have regular inspections currently.
I would think removing cats would confuse the computer and cause driving issues. Maybe cause it to run too lean?

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
There won’t be any driveability issues at all

It will throw a check engine light unless he has the MIL eliminators. However with or without the light there’s no effect on performance.

Probably sounds excellent.
Sponsored