Advertisement

A10 Launch Tips?

Discussion in 'Dragstrip and Launching' started by W.O.T. Stang, Jun 22, 2020.

1. W.O.T. Stang

W.O.T. Stang Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1 A10
    0   0   0
    Looking for some info on the best launch tips for the A10. I've been to the drag strip many times with a manual, but this 10 speed is a whole different animal.

Obviously i know i want to select drag mode with advancetrac/stability off.

My main questions:
    1. Will i be able to brake torque the car in drag mode to help with the launch and not start doing a burnout at the light? Im sure there is a limit to the rpm when doing this. Any tips for a good rpm on the stock PP1 tires?

2. Does it make any difference if i do the run in drive or sport? Obviously i know that paddle shift (manual) is a no-no on the drag strip- as the computer can shift much faster and quicker than i can. However im not sure if there any different leaving or being in drive vs sport.

3. Is an 11 totally possible under perfect conditions on a stock '19? What is a good rear tire psi for the stock tires? Any kind of burnout really needed on them? Guessing just enough to clean the tires.

Any of course, feel free to share any tips. Im excited to see what it will do.

2. Mikthehun1

Mikthehun1 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mik
    Vehicle(s):
    19 GT a10, 19 Charger Scat Pack
    Photography
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    1. Drag mode is pretty good at just launching the car. You're better off rolling on the throttle to counter any spin.

2. Keep it in drive. Drag mode gives you the faster throttle, more aggressive shifts, timing changes, etc. Putting the shifter in "S" just risks the transmission thinking you want to shift manually. If you accidentally hit a paddle, it won't shift automatically again.

3. Absolutely, and consistently once you've got the launch down.

20-22 is a good range. The sidewalls on stock tires are too stiff/short to flex much. Run too low and you risk just shredding them. Get it low enough to see a little "mushrooming".

Dead on with the burnout. No benefit to removing thread on a street tire. Clean it up and be on your way.

W.O.T. Stang likes this.
  3. NC85

NC85 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Missing
    0   0   0
    I watched and helped a 65-70 year old man get his loaded A10 in the 11s bone stock. Everything above mentioned is correct. However, you'll need some good air to do it. The older gentleman ran 11s in 50-60 degree weather.

W.O.T. Stang and Mikthehun1 like this.
  4. BlackandBlue

BlackandBlue Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 GT 10 Gear
    0   0   0
    I like to add a little more heat to the PS4s. Not a complete burnout but enough to get some smoke.

I ran test and tune straight off the road one night and hooked up pretty good with no burnout. After cooling down I couldn't hook the car up on the 1-2 and 2-3 shift. Found if I did a 2nd gear burnout for about 2 seconds that put enough heat back in them. The temps that night were in the low 60s.

Middle of the day with summer heat though it would be pointless.

Mikthehun1 likes this.
  5. Mikthehun1

First Name:
    Mik
    Vehicle(s):
    Photography
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    Yeah they're glue at 80 degree. Even at lower temps they heat up fairly quick. Just sitting on open tarmac under direct sun (you know, a dragstrip) might be enough even in the 60's.

6. BlackandBlue

BlackandBlue Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 GT 10 Gear
    0   0   0
    Yeah they work great with heat. On the street I use the pressure monitor to check the tire temps.

Something around a PSI per 12 degrees. So starting at 32 at 70 degrees puts me at 125 degrees at 37 psi. I always use this method to check how much traction I will have. I keep the TPMS screen up most of the time driving around.

W.O.T. Stang and Mikthehun1 like this.
  7. Mikthehun1

First Name:
    Mik
    Vehicle(s):
    Photography
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    Never thought of that, neat trick.

BlackandBlue likes this.
  8. Jhonda

Jhonda Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle(s):
    S10 soon to be 19 mustang
    0   0   0
    Sent you a pm about this. Didn’t want to hi jack your thread

9. dn1984

dn1984 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
    0   0   0
    for my 11.9 run on cheap sumitomos and otherwise stock i turned off advancetrac (hold toggle for 5 secs), had the car in drag mode shifter in D, brake torqued to like 1200rpm or something low like that, and as far as my tires i had the rears at 25psi and the fronts at 45psi (a lot of people forget about reducing roll resistance with the front tires)