Vehicle Showcase

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
My 15 5sp you have to hold the start button and it will die. In gear or neutral.
@WildHorse already tried press and hold and I tried the quick tap. I think the triple tap is left open and we're looking for anybody foolish enough to recreate the OPs 120MPH WOT mash on the brakes in gear with an automatic to see if/when the car actually stops. You assume all responsibility if you try that one though and I wouldn't recommend it.

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
@WildHorse already tried press and hold and I tried the quick tap. I think the triple tap is left open and we're looking for anybody foolish enough to recreate the OPs 120MPH WOT mash on the brakes in gear with an automatic to see if/when the car actually stops. You assume all responsibility if you try that one though and I wouldn't recommend it.
in an automatic, you push the shifter into neutral.. then do the same as everyone else, triple tap or long press. I'd suggest at 120mph all this will happen pretty fast.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
in an automatic, you push the shifter into neutral.. then do the same as everyone else, triple tap or long press. I'd suggest at 120mph all this will happen pretty fast.
We know the right way to do it but as discussed this solution isn't readily obvious to most automatic drivers in the precious few seconds the OP had. While in a panic most people can only revert to things they've done before frequently enough to have trained to memory so we were looking at all the "what ifs" and their outcomes. The precious few that can think a process through under those conditions have Chick Yeager sized balls. You, me and most everybody here probably won't measure up to legends like those.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Glenn 70

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
1970 mach 1 mustang
may I ask who manufactured those?
They don’t fit S550 mustangs ,they are for early model mustangs . Mustang shops like c j pony parts sell them . They did look good in my S550 but don’t fit like the factory mats .

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
We know the right way to do it but as discussed this solution isn't readily obvious to most automatic drivers in the precious few seconds the OP had. While in a panic most people can only revert to things they've done before frequently enough to have trained to memory so we were looking at all the "what ifs" and their outcomes. The precious few that can think a process through under those conditions have Chick Yeager sized balls. You, me and most everybody here probably won't measure up to legends like those.
you are correct which is why I tried it at 40mph so I know what to do in my boring manual. I'm trying not to have a total dig but you guys driving auto's really ought to know how this shit works before you kill yourselves or someone else like the Toyota drivers of yesteryear. I mean, you need memo to pop up and tell you to shift to neutral to halt the surging out of control car? Man oh man.

I've driven two automatic cars in my life for a total of half an hour and even i know you can shift into neutral at any time without effort. Watched Mythbusters try same stuff as well years ago, shift into reverse while moving forward and guess what, nothing broke. Even the speed didn't brake haha. See what I did there....🧥

Having had a throttle jam wide open before I know you run out of road and options real fast - that time (circa 2002) it was a manual (cause that's what we drive in the UK) and when I shifted gear just before redline i noticed the engine rev out and hit the limiter so I kept my foot off the gas pedal after engaging next gear and lo the car was still accelerating. Stood on the clutch pedal and turned off the ignition in the same motion. Hit the brakes and coasted to a stop. Fixed jammed throttle cable and drove home keeping plenty of space in front of me in case it did it again, which it never did.

Of course that was with a key ignition system so I tried in in the Mustang with the Button Start/Stop. See post https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/a-word-of-advice.158959/post-3239877 post #53. You're welcome :like:

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
The steering assist only works in the "ON" position; if you turn the engine off, obviously it's no longer in "ON" but either OFF or ACC, both positions that the EPS won't work.
I tried the steering too. It's perfectly manageable as long as it detects the FOB.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
it's a chore but I've driven cars with the PS out of commission. IMO this is a really bad design choice by automotive engineers the world over and frankly needs to be regulated out of existence. Just like brake pedals with no vac boost. Kerist almighty the forces needed are insane.

Both of these VITAL safety systems must be reasonably operable by a 90lb woman in flats. Systems fail. NEVER design something that requires 'assistance' measures to be functioning.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
it's a chore but I've driven cars with the PS out of commission. IMO this is a really bad design choice by automotive engineers the world over and frankly needs to be regulated out of existence. Just like brake pedals with no vac boost. Kerist almighty the forces needed are insane.

Both of these VITAL safety systems must be reasonably operable by a 90lb woman in flats. Systems fail. NEVER design something that requires 'assistance' measures to be functioning.
Other than the fact that today's cars are all porkers the mechanical backups in most cars should work much like their non-power assist versions did and be rather reasonable. Now those one finger steer, power boosted recirculating ball mechanisms from the 70's and 80's or drum brakes, those are different. Without power those just require some herculean efforts. The last time I had to manage one of those going out was in the 90's when I was a 165lb beanpole so I don't have fond memories.

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
Other than the fact that today's cars are all porkers the mechanical backups in most cars should work much like their non-power assist versions did and be rather reasonable. Now those one finger steer, power boosted recirculating ball mechanisms from the 70's and 80's or drum brakes, those are different. Without power those just require some herculean efforts. The last time I had to manage one of those going out was in the 90's when I was a 165lb beanpole so I don't have fond memories.
I remember the old Chevy (some 50's model) my folks had that used king pins instead of ball joints. Talk about having to muscle the steering wheel to turn (even though the steering wheel was huge in diameter, not like today's smaller wheels).
Sponsored