Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
We already have a gas guzzler tax on our registrations in Kalifornia.

GA also but who cares, it's a one time payout.
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Got a friend who tunes bikes out there. He’s been doing it 20 years. Former nasa engineer. Long story short he expressed his concerns about may be needing to change careers. Cali is already putting pressure on businesses like his. Even if he does tuning for out of state people he’s still being pressured about that

only matter of time til tuning is treated like drug dealing. Oh wait… drugs are all people care about. Jkjk

But super sad about him. He’s established and enjoys his craft

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Direct quote from article regarding previous law.

“So long as the engine ran clean enough to meet state emissions guidelines, the smog tech would have no issue passing you.”

But now unless the tune is paid for(taxed) to be carb legal, it still won’t pass regardless of clean emissions?? WTF??? So clearly this has absolutely nothing to do with emissions and everything to do with CA government taxing you anyway they can.

Wow.
Total nonsense.
You pay the same sale tax on a tune, regardless if it’s carb approved or not and even if you buy out of state
And to get the carb seal of approval, the tune need to be within some parameters

Last edited:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
You pay the same sale tax on a tune, regardless if it’s carb approved or not and even if you buy out of state
You really don't have a clue do you? The whole CARB cert process is the tax being talked about not sales tax. Ask Livernois what it costs to have CARB approved tunes.

The other part you overlook is even if the car will pass a sniff test it still fails due to not having a CARB approval.

But but but it's about clean air for the children.......

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
You really don't have a clue do you? The whole CARB cert process is the tax being talked about not sales tax. Ask Livernois what it costs to have CARB approved tunes.

The other part you overlook is even if the car will pass a sniff test it still fails due to not having a CARB approval.

But but but it's about clean air for the children.......
….and you’re missing the part about cars 21 years old or newer not being sniffed in ca.
As for the cost of certification, do you know the amount for a tune ?
I don’t, do you ?
So if you know the cost, post it and if you don’t know it, don’t make representation that is a very expensive ( on a per unit sold cost)

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
So if you know the cost, post it and if you don’t know it, don’t make representation that is a very expensive ( on a per unit sold cost)
I told you where to find the answer, you wouldn't believe me anyway so I won't bother.

Remember "it's for clean air, because kids are dying"

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
and you’re missing the part about cars 21 years old or newer not being sniffed in ca.
Which is fine but the point is even if it were sniffed and passed it would still fail due to not having a CARB cert.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
I told you where to find the answer, you wouldn't believe me anyway so I won't
Remember "it's for clean air, because kids are dying"
So obviously you don’t know it….
As for me believing you or not, it’s irrelevant to the fact that you don’t have a clue as to the cost…. Hard for someone to develop an opinion without facts….. or at least it should be

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Which is fine but the point is even if it were sniffed and passed it would still fail due to not having a CARB cert.
Used to be sniff test for all vehicles newer than 1975
The reason that was changed was to take advantage of technology, namely the improvements in Obd2, and to make the smog test easier and cheaper for customers….
So, following your logic it should be reinstated, at a financial and time cost for millions of drivers for the benefit of a very few ?

And you want to know the dirty little secret why most tuners don’t apply for a carb certification?
Their tunes will have to follow certain protocols and parameters and the net result would be a huge reduction in their claimed horsepower and torque increase over factory calibration…….

Last edited:

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
question home slices, is there any reason why you cant buy a ECU out of a wrecked mustang, (stock ecu) and simply swap them? im sure you could program the serials etc using forscan to both match the car. one tuned, you keep, and other, well stock for inspections?

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
why you cant buy a ECU out of a wrecked mustang, (stock ecu) and simply swap them?
If you had any engine mods the car wouldn't run on the stock cal. If no engine mods it would be easier, and cheaper, to re-flash your stock tune.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
If you had any engine mods the car wouldn't run on the stock cal. If no engine mods it would be easier, and cheaper, to re-flash your stock tune.
I mean, wouldn't it work OK to drive babied to a place get tested or swap ecu's in parking lot over?
I get what you mean now, I get it. meaning it wouldn't pass emissions if it wasn't tuned for the mods. ie run dirty

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
So, following your logic it should be reinstated
I have no problem with it if it is an either or situation. If it passes sniff it passes, even if it has no cats ect.....

Or you could opt for the OBd 2 test.

If it were really about clean air this would be the standard and is what Reagan had in mind when he formed CARB.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I get what you mean now,
You have to drive the car for a certain amount of time for all the emissions systems to show ready. If you swapped in the parking lot the systems would not show ready and that would fail the test.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
If it were really about clean air this would be the standard and is what Reagan had in mind when he formed CARB.
This hasn't been an issue of clean air for a couple decades (at least). This is about the State controlling every aspect of the resident's lives. We're only here to make sure there is a government which is functional enough to take bribes and distribute tax money through vague or fake government contracts. This state is well past the point at which it's future could be salvaged.
Sponsored