2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red

MKL_DS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
This is not happening. Sounds good, but they have no means of confirming a tune is loaded. If the tune is good and all monitors are set, etc, it shouldnā€™t be a problem.

Smunczen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt pp2
This is not happening. Sounds good, but they have no means of confirming a tune is loaded. If the tune is good and all monitors are set, etc, it shouldnā€™t be a problem.
i wouldnā€™t be so sure in that. Iā€™m sure they have info or a procedure from the Oemā€™s to verify the calibration.

Lads1719

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT: PP1: 300A: Lightning Blue
Direct quote from article regarding previous law.

ā€œSo long as the engine ran clean enough to meet state emissions guidelines, the smog tech would have no issue passing you.ā€

But now unless the tune is paid for(taxed) to be carb legal, it still wonā€™t pass regardless of clean emissions?? WTF??? So clearly this has absolutely nothing to do with emissions and everything to do with CA government taxing you anyway they can.

Wow.

OP
OP
Dave2013M3

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Yes they can, as they are already doing it. My E92 M3 had a tune and all readiness green and they knew it had a tune. They failed me I had to revert back to OEM before I sold the car.

Sponsored

MKL_DS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
i wouldnā€™t be so sure in that. Iā€™m sure they have info or a procedure from the Oemā€™s to verify the calibration.
GM uses a CVN for confirmation, but the problem is, none of the CARB approved tuners on the market have been told how to provide a CVN matching their EO. If this article, and countless others that have been circulating this week are correct, it would mean that even if you had a legit, carb approved, EOā€™d tune installed, it would fail.

I live in this world professionally, and can assure you itā€™s not possible at this time. And, if they start failing people with CARB approved tunes, it will be a huge mess.

MKL_DS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
Yes they can, as they are already doing it. My E92 M3 had a tune and all readiness green and they knew it had a tune. They failed me I had to revert back to OEM before I sold the car.
When was this? Prior to this week no such verification system had even been discussed publicly. If all of your monitors were set and everything was green and they failed you, I would like to see that report.

Now, if the tune that you loaded behaved in some manner other than I described previously, where it just blasted in some random calibration that did not belong to your vehicle, sure, thatā€™s a problem. But that has nothing to do with the tune, and more to do with it being delivered in the manner that it was.

OP
OP
Dave2013M3

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When was this? Prior to this week no such verification system had even been discussed publicly. If all of your monitors were set and everything was green and they failed you, I would like to see that report.

Now, if the tune that you loaded behaved in some manner other than I described previously, where it just blasted in some random calibration that did not belong to your vehicle, sure, thatā€™s a problem. But that has nothing to do with the tune, and more to do with it being delivered in the manner that it was.
One year ago. They look at the CVN number. That is why I went with the Ford Racing power kit for my 2020 GT.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Unfortunately just the fear that arises from potential penalties, and uncertainty, could result in folks no longer purchasing tunes and the shops that create/sell/install them abandoning sales because they simply don't want the hassle of vicarious liability. A bit like the move to litigate against firearm manufacturers for an act that someone commits with their product.

Would be interesting to know what logic (not which political side) is pushing this, what the cost of implementation is, and how the cost benefit stacks up.

Reactions: luc

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
If this article, and countless others that have been circulating this week are correct, it would mean that even if you had a legit, carb approved, EOā€™d tune installed, it would fail.
'Come Monday, however, if your car's ECU program isn't verified as legal by a California Air Resources Board (C.A.R.B.) Executive Order, then your car won't pass smog, regardless of its emissions output.'

Seems to be saying that If it has a legit CARB approved EO it will pass. I may be missing something.

Sponsored

MKL_DS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
'Come Monday, however, if your car's ECU program isn't verified as legal by a California Air Resources Board (C.A.R.B.) Executive Order, then your car won't pass smog, regardless of its emissions output.'

Seems to be saying that If it has a legit CARB approved EO it will pass. I may be missing something.
Hereā€™s the deal. I work for a manufacturer that produces carb legal, EO equipped tuning devices. Our devices work the same today as they will Monday. Beyond the little CARB sticker we provide them, which is what has been used for years, nobody can tell the difference between our tune and the stock tune. And if there is such a plug in check, where our tune is supposed to somehow tell the test operator what EO# it is tied to, they have not asked us to do that. The sticker is still the only way.

Again, if your tuning system is changing the calibration ID or the OS, it may very well fail even if everything else checks out. Thatā€™s not related to the ā€˜tune changesā€™.

emcmtony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2020 Saleen Mustang S302 White Label

So it is not about emission if they will ignore the results. Interesting.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
So it is not about emission if they will ignore the results. Interesting.
There are no sniff test in California for car 2000 or newer
ā€¦.interestingā€¦ā€¦

Last edited:

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed. You canā€™t beat the weather in SoCal but otherwise besides that I hate this state. I have until 2027 before they test my car. If I still have it by then I may just register it at my nieces house in Minnesota where they donā€™t test and say Iā€™m on vacation. :crackup:
I know lived in Miami til 87 great weather, left could not stand the atmosphere any longer. Hard to be in the US and reside in a banana republic.

OP
OP
Dave2013M3

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am originally from Arizona, well grew up there. Born in Georgia, but I have lived in California for over 30 years now after I got out of the US Army and even spent 7 years here in the California Army National Guard. The state was a different state back then. I love the state for its locale and what i has to offer. I just won't be able to retire here, its gotten way to expensive to live near the coast. I live in El Segundo, I am literally .5 miles from the beach. Love this community but I rent a 2 bdrm townhome for over $3k amonth I can't afford to buy here as condos are over a million. Probably moving to Texas or Florida or back to Arizona within a few years. My youngest has another year in high school and I am planning my egress.
Sponsored