Sponsored

7 speed DCT vs 10r80 for Drag racing? Road racing?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Then what does a locking torque converter do?
It's not always locked.

Even when it is fully locked and the fluid is not carrying any power, the transmission is still pumping oil through the torque converter under pressure (gaining heat in the process).

The approach to lockup engagement may not be as simple as all the way on or all the way off, and there may be some intentional variation in fluid flow rates going on as a fuel-saving measure. Sometimes the results truly suck (I'm looking at you, Mr. GM 8-speed automatic with your dual-displacement AT fluid pump).

Norm
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
From a performance perspective:
Auto transmissions like the 10R80 or 6R80 are way faster at shifting than any human and incredibly strong(way more than any manual mustang transmissions). Talk to the whipple cars.
Faster at shifting, sure. But I think the matter of strength needs to consider how brutal or not the human is at executing those shifts and how much pressure he puts on himself to shift as rapidly as possible, risk of damage be damned. Impact factors do vary.

Consider a scale, ranging from very serious drag racing at one end (where you need great strength if you want any durability) and 24 hour endurance racing at the other (where the requirement for durability tops the need for brute strength). Overall, how much strength does any individual really need?

A DCT is a step above, it will out perform any auto and any human.
I'll give you that of the three, the human is in 3rd place in terms of shift speed.

But I think between the DCT and the AT the resulting performance is ultimately going to come down to the details. Gear spacings, shift speed, momentary torque converter torque multiplication effects, weight differences, the kind of racing, etc. There are just too many differences and uncertainties at this point to be making any absolute claims.

Norm

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
It's not always locked.

Even when it is fully locked and the fluid is not carrying any power, the transmission is still pumping oil through the torque converter under pressure (gaining heat in the process).

The approach to lockup engagement may not be as simple as all the way on or all the way off, and there may be some intentional variation in fluid flow rates going on as a fuel-saving measure. Sometimes the results truly suck (I'm looking at you, Mr. GM 8-speed automatic with your dual-displacement AT fluid pump).

Norm
Not entirely true.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
On a road course, I believe the main difference may be heat. The 10R80 will generate more thus need more cooling. Next, programming, with the DCT optimized for road racing and the 10R80 close but not as fine tuned for the circuit track.

If you believe specs, the Tremec 7spd DCT is about 30 lbs lighter....198 vs 230 lbs.
So.
I roadcourse my 10speed. Trans cooler is the same of 15-17 mustang .
If you dont put any oil cooler in the front the airflow will be enought to keep the 10speed around 210f .
You can always upgrade to a bigger radiator who could drop some extra F .

I had installed an oil cooler in the upper grille.
It has created so mnay issue to my trans with top temp reachimg 245f. This has created severe hesitation in paddle shifting .
I fixed it moving the oil cooler in the lower grilled .
Summary .
Mustang 18 over HEAT for OIL and diff (sometimes)
Trans seems ok. And the car is exremely fast

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Like wise i never see the 10-speed mustangs or camaros at laguna seca or sonoma. DCT cars on the other hand.......

Manual porsches are rarer and highly desired, we arent comparing manual vs dct. we're comparing dct vs 10-speed.
I do :)
However DCT seems a better option.

Sponsored

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Sometimes the results truly suck (I'm looking at you, Mr. GM 8-speed automatic with your dual-displacement AT fluid pump).

Norm

8Lxx series. That transmission is truly awful. Full tilt it's amazing actually but anything less than psycho mode and I'd rather just fred flintstone my car.

Sponsored

Rothgray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Are you using paddles? I can't tell from your videos whether the car even has them or not.

Norm
The 10R80 equipped Mustang GT's have paddle shifters.

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
The 10R80 equipped Mustang GT's have paddle shifters.
I am pretty sure the 15+ autos have paddle shifters too, not sure about before that.

Engineering explained made a video about the ZF 8 speed vs dual clutch and why he likes it more than most dual clutch transmissions. I wonder if he has tried a 10 speed in anything yet.

Rothgray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I am pretty sure the 15+ autos have paddle shifters too, not sure about before that.

Engineering explained made a video about the ZF 8 speed vs dual clutch and why he likes it more than most dual clutch transmissions. I wonder if he has tried a 10 speed in anything yet.

I have the ZF8 in my Audi RS5. It is quite a bit faster shifting up snd down, than the 10R80.