Status
Not open for further replies.

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
LOL, how many times did we here the various GM fanboys who post/used to post on this site declare, "wait until the 6thGen Camaro becomes available to buy" when it came to discussions regarding Mustang versus Camaro sales. Well, the Camaro has been available since November, and December sales were not at all spectacular as they might have hoped.

For the year, the Mustang outsold the Camaro by over 44K units! In fact, the Mustang swept the Camaro every single month in 2015, something the Camaro was never able to do even when it was the bee's knees to many where the nameplate was reintroduced.

I guess everybody who wanted the look of a 6th Gen Camaro already had it with the 5th Gen, so it seems only the die-hards are buying the new car despite it's better performance numbers over it's predecessor. Many of us said GM lack of balls in hardly changing the styling of the 6thGen as compared to the 5thGen was a pitiful attempt to try and continue the success of that generation, but the sales numbers, thus far, indicate it was a dud move on GM's part.
Sponsored

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I am not sure that the sales so far are a good indication, because they are probably not fully available everywhere yet. I think we might need to wait a few more months to see what happens.

That said, I saw one at the San Diego auto show on New Year's Day, and while I know it performs very well, it would be hard for me to live with, I think. Obviously it's personal preference, but I wasn't enamored with the looks. I've read that the pictures don't really do it justice, and you have to see it in person, but seeing it in person didn't really do anything more for me than the photos. One of the people I went with is a big Miata fan, and doesn't really follow other cars much, and the first thing he said when he saw one with the hood up was, "Hey, that looks like a toilet seat."

I got in it, and I know everyone talks about it, but the visibility was so bad, and the doors so high, that I just would not enjoy sitting in that car and driving around. I'm 6' 1", so not a small guy, and I'm sure I could manage it and maybe get used to it, but unless I *really* had to be able to say I could outperform other cars, I just would not buy one.

draco24433

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Mustang GT Premium
I am 6' and I was uncomfortable myself. I have a lot more room in my Stang.

OP
OP
garagelogic

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I am not sure that the sales so far are a good indication, because they are probably not fully available everywhere yet. I think we might need to wait a few more months to see what happens.

That said, I saw one at the San Diego auto show on New Year's Day, and while I know it performs very well, it would be hard for me to live with, I think. Obviously it's personal preference, but I wasn't enamored with the looks. I've read that the pictures don't really do it justice, and you have to see it in person, but seeing it in person didn't really do anything more for me than the photos. One of the people I went with is a big Miata fan, and doesn't really follow other cars much, and the first thing he said when he saw one with the hood up was, "Hey, that looks like a toilet seat."

I got in it, and I know everyone talks about it, but the visibility was so bad, and the doors so high, that I just would not enjoy sitting in that car and driving around. I'm 6' 1", so not a small guy, and I'm sure I could manage it and maybe get used to it, but unless I *really* had to be able to say I could outperform other cars, I just would not buy one.
Yeah, I get that it is still early in the 6thGen's sales cycle, but I'm just laughing at those who thought GM would catch lightning in a bottle again. They went conservative with the styling, and now we get to see if that was a wise decision. As I said, early indications are, it was not.

Socalmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium w/PP Race Red
I never believed the camaro would outsell the mustang from the very beginning...people care more about looks.

I know it's still early and people will say give it a couple months before sales start increasing....

even then, I don't believe the Camaro will outsell the mustang in 2016.

Sponsored

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline
Well the M6G came out in October 2014 so you could look at November or December 2014 to get an idea of how the first month of sales compare to each other. Its not definitive but would be interesting to see.

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
The 6th gen Camaro has very little chance to catch the S550. It's a better packaged car for a bigger percentage of people.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Well I felt sales of the Camaro due to the rehashed styling would suffer. It's to early to tell but the majority of the car buying public is more concerned that a car be pretty than 5 or 10 more HP.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
garagelogic

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly!!!
Also agree, but that's a pretty big screw up on GM's part. They should be looking to sell as many cars as they can, not try to placate or appease a small segment of buyers.

JohnnyUtah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 M4 Comp, 2019 Silverado
LOL, how many times did we here the various GM fanboys who post/used to post on this site declare, "wait until the 6thGen Camaro becomes available to buy" when it came to discussions regarding Mustang versus Camaro sales. Well, the Camaro has been available since November, and December sales were not at all spectacular as they might have hoped.

For the year, the Mustang outsold the Camaro by over 44K units! In fact, the Mustang swept the Camaro every single month in 2015, something the Camaro was never able to do even when it was the bee's knees to many where the nameplate was reintroduced.

I guess everybody who wanted the look of a 6th Gen Camaro already had it with the 5th Gen, so it seems only the die-hards are buying the new car despite it's better performance numbers over it's predecessor. Many of us said GM lack of balls in hardly changing the styling of the 6thGen as compared to the 5thGen was a pitiful attempt to try and continue the success of that generation, but the sales numbers, thus far, indicate it was a dud move on GM's part.
Interesting. Do you have some sources? These articles say otherwise.

http://www.wzzm13.com/story/news/local/2016/01/04/gm-hire-500-third-shift-lansing-plant/78255386/

http://wlns.com/2016/01/04/gm-to-add-new-camaro-shift-500-jobs/

cyberbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT On Order
I think GM got caught up in thinking that the Camaro5 forum was the same buyer as the general public, they listened very closely to what the enthusiast wanted, but did not consider what the general pubic/ regular person was looking for in a sports car. They blew it with the roofline.... again.

I like the interior but that whole 69 Camaro on steroids theme is played out. The movies also helped sales at first but I also think now is the biggest liability for any adult looking to buy, they want to feel like that have a fun machine and not a prop to a kids movie.

By the way is the Dodge X-Wing out yet? lol

HoustonMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Race Red EcoBoost Premium with 20" wheels...
And who really cares whether the Mustang outsells the redesigned Camaro?

A lot of the sale volume depends on manufacturer & dealership incentives...since the Mustang is no longer a new model...the dealership's are offering huge discount on S550's...I assume the new Camaro is being sold closer to sticker...but that will change at some point...

Actually...Mustang S550's are becoming a very common vehicle...thus losing a bit of their uniqueness...selling more vehicle is not always a good thing!

FYI...I've driven a new Camaro...I prefer the Mustang due to to the beautiful S550 styling...but the Camaro is a great performer!

:cheers:
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.